Taxi w/ scooter...possibility?

moonmom

This will probably sound like an odd request/question...but here goes:

I am travelling to St Thomas in april with my mom...she uses a small scooter to get around...she can transfer to a cab but cannot walk long distances. I would like to take her to Emerald Beach for the day (i have been there before and the layout/distance to the sand from the hotel would work for her)

Do you think a taxi driver would allow me to disassemble the scooter and put in trunk...so i can get it to our destination? I guess my other option would be to rent a car and do this but would prefer not to drive if possible. I do this all the time at home when we travel by car..takes a few minutes...

Thanks for your advice...

jane

Safari trucks are the popular vehicle used by taxis at the cruise ship docks. I've seen drivers put foldable wheel chairs in a back area of the safari. If the scooter can fit in this area or some other area of the safari or in the back of a van then pretty sure the driver would wait for you pack it up. Taxi drivers typically wait a bit until they get their vehicles filled anyway. You might consider accessiable tour if you think it would work better: http://www.accessvi.com/.

--Islander

Thanks for your ideas Islander....I probably will just have to figure it out once we get there...can't imagine mom climbing into one of the safari trucks!:eek: ... maybe the van would work..:confused: or maybe back to square one and think about renting a car....she spent the whole day "scooting" around the port shopping last time and would really like to see the beach!

Thanks for all of your help on this board...we all appreciate it!

jane

I also travel frequently with my mother who also uses a scooter. Please keep in mind that the law on St. Thomas re accessibility is the same law as we have (US Virgin Islands). When we travel to US ports, we politely request a vehicle that allows her scooter and have never failed to find very friendly cab drivers willing to assist us. Occasionally they had to call for another vehicle that would suit us better. The wait was never more that a few minutes.

We have been to most ports in the Caribbean with this scooter and have flown on most of the major airlines with it. If you have any questions I may be able to help you with, don't hesitate to email me at deannasgandg@aol.com. Please remember, your cruise is a lot of fun if you maintain a level of polite patience in every port. I have yet to run across an issue that was not solvable with a smile and polite patience. Th

Archived