Hurricane Jeanne Information

CruiseFever

[quote name='Salty Dawg']Sue & DoniaG,
Sending thoughts & prayers to all.[/QUOTE]
THANKS! Looks like we are really going to get it again. I was in a state of denial....now reality sets in. Just want all of you to know that your interest and caring for our welfare is appreciated more than anyone can know!! Thanks to all of you!

To ALL of you out there, thank you SO much for your thoughts and prayers - looks like we are in for it again. Tropical storm force winds to start around noon tomorrow and the actual hurricane is to hit us around 2am Sunday morning - I agree with whomever said "Enough mother nature" - we really can't take any more of this! We are supposed to leave on a trip on Wed. but will assume we will need to cancel it - we were looking forward to it 'cause we just need to get away from all these storms for a couple of weeks! I am SO tired of hurricane shutters, all the pool/patio stuff in the house, no gas, etc - I need a vacation! ARRGGGHHHH!!!!! And our cruise doesn't leave til Nov. 22nd - if these hurricanes don't stop, there will be no more islands left in one piece to visit! Please Lord, send these things out to sea.....!!!!!

Please check in and give someone your contact info - cell phone, email, address, etc. If you don't want to post it here, please send it to [email="DoniaG@aol.com"]DoniaG@aol.com[/email] or [email="Suemiller87@aol.com"]Suemiller87@aol.com[/email].

Thoughts and prayers to all. Donia

[font=Arial Black][color=blue]Hope all of you up the coast do better this time--we've been lucky down here so far this year other than losing power for a few days--hang in there.[/color][/font]

[font=Arial Black][color=blue]Les[/color][/font]

I supervise a 911 Communications Center in the Fort Lauderdale area. I've worked all day, and have to be back tomorrow, with no expectation of coming back home until Jeanne passes and it is safe to venture out. We're not "expecting" a direct hit in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, but who knows what will happen?

My home is shuttered, the dog will go to my sister's home, and I will "hunker" down (a favorite term that our local newscasters use) at work. During a normal South Florida rain storm, the roof of our building leaks. As I was sleeping in the building during Frances (and we just got mid-to-outer bands of it), I could hear the roof rattling. Oh, well...I'm sure someone would be happy to take my spot on the Sun Princess in December, if something should happen and I can't make it. Seriously, though...thank you to all of you for your thoughts, well wishes, and prayers. This is a hurricane season like I have never experienced, and I've lived in Ft. Lauderdale since 1973.

All my fellow Floridian cruisers..you all take care, and be safe!

God bless you for manning the 911 comm ctr during all these storms! I grew up in FL, left at 18 and it took me 30 years to work my way back here - I wouldn't live anywhere else - we have paradise every day of the year! (with the exception of this hurricane season!) Like you, I know we have never had a hurricane season like this one. We are on the Sun also, but we are going over Thanksgiving - 58 days and counting! We will make sure it gets safely back to FLL so you can cruise right after us.

Thanks, again, for being one of those guardian angels at the 911 center - how rewarding your career must be - you save lives every day!

Cheers and keep answering those phones!

[i][color=black]Received this one & thought a few of you would get a chuckle out of it...[/color][/i]

You might be a Floridian if:

You exhibit a slight twitch when introduced to anyone with the first names of Charley, Frances or Ivan

Your freezer never has more than $20 worth of food in it any given time

You're looking at paint swatches for the plywood on your windows, to accent the house color

You think of your hall closet/saferoom as "cozy"

Your pool is more accurately described as "framed in" than "screened in"

Your freezer in the garage now only has homemade ice in it

You no longer worry about relatives visiting during the summer months

You, too, haven't heard back from the insurance adjuster

You now understand what that little "2% hurricane deductible" phrase really means

You're putting a collage together on your driveway of roof shingles from your neighborhood

You were once proud of your 16" electric chain saw

Your Street has more than 3 "NO WAKE" signs posted

You now own 5 large ice chests

Your parrot can now say" hammered, pounded and hunker down"

You recognize people in line at the free ice, gas and plywood locations

You stop what you're doing and clap and wave when you see a convoy of power company trucks come down your street

You're depressed when they don't stop

You have the personal cell phone numbers of the managers at Home Depot for plywood, roofing supplies & generators on your speed dialer

You've spent more than $20 on "Tall white kitchen bags" to make your own sand bags

You're considering upgrading your 16" to a 20" chainsaw

You know what "Bar chain oil" is

You're thinking of getting your wife the hardhat with the ear protector and face shield for Christmas

You now think the $6000 whole house generator seems reasonable

You look forward to discussions about the merits of "cubed, block and dry ice"

Your therapist refers to your condition as "generator envy"

You fight the urge to put on your winter coat and wool cap and parade around in front of your picture window, when you finally get power and your neighbor across the street, with the noisy generator, doesn't have electric yet.

And finally, you might be a Floridian if:

You ask your realtives up north to start saving the Sunday Real Estate classifieds!

[i][color=black]Thought for the day...[/color][/i]

I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much!

I sent my contact info to both Sue & Donia. Thanks for caring!

roo, on the 6 oclock news, George Winterling, Ch4 weather guru, said we'd be learning the difference between a TS & a hurricane this time. Gee, I would really prefer to be ignorant in this case! :p Take care and keep us posted as long as you can. They are predicting wide-spead and long-lasting power outages here, too. Personally, Frances was plenty strong enough for me!

[COLOR=Purple]How nice of Jeanne to stay on her westerly course at 26.5 latitude. Guess what I'm going to be doing this morning? Putting the shutters back up!
UGH! Enough is enough!

Well guys, here we go again, if memory serves me correctly, my power should be going off around 2 pm...so I will wish everyone well now!

The only good thing is Jeanne is moving faster, she won't linger around as long as Frances did...this IS a good thing, right?

I'm so tired of this! :(

Jemingway, I did the same thing this time...I hit Crown last night...a drunken stupor sounds good to me! :)[/COLOR]

Salty Dawg - Thanks for the chuckle - I needed that! Except for the 2% deductible, it was funny. I had forgotten about that little item!
When we moved to Florida 17 years ago, I said I never wanted to scrape another windshield or shovel another driveway again in my life. I'm close to second thoughts on that one.

You know, it just occurred to me that because of these frazzlin' storms, I now know more about the geography of Florida that I ever wanted to! Keeping up with where all of you are in relation to the storm track has definitely been a learning experience. But I know enough, already! So, Mother Nature, how 'bout giving this class a walk for the rest of the season! :D Donia

Cindie checking in from Jensen Beach - good morning to all of you - awoke this morning to news that it will definitely be a Cat. 3 AT LEAST and possibly a Cat. 4 when it hits land. Right now projected to hit land at the Martin/St. Lucie county lines - well, golly gee - that is a mile from our house! Sheesh! Scarey thing is that they say tidal waves of 20-30 feet - those are some BIG waves! We live about 2 miles west of the Indian River and maybe 4-5 miles from the beach - so we will be ok with the water coming our way. Problem is good ol' Ivan came back on Tues/Wed last week and inundated us with rain - 8 inches the first day - we now have lakefront property that we didn't pay for! The ground just can't absorb any more water so flooding is going to be a big problem - but you can't do anything about it now - good thing we have flood insurance! Must run but good luck to all my fellow Floridians and I agree with Sue - NO WAY am I ever going to move back north! This weather year has been a total abberation - this is not a normal day/year in Paradise! Everyone keep in touch as you can! The sun "will come out tomorrow" - well, on second thought, maybe not tomorrow but someday soon!

[quote name='cindiedee']God bless you for manning the 911 comm ctr during all these storms! I grew up in FL, left at 18 and it took me 30 years to work my way back here - I wouldn't live anywhere else - we have paradise every day of the year! (with the exception of this hurricane season!) Like you, I know we have never had a hurricane season like this one. We are on the Sun also, but we are going over Thanksgiving - 58 days and counting! We will make sure it gets safely back to FLL so you can cruise right after us.

Thanks, again, for being one of those guardian angels at the 911 center - how rewarding your career must be - you save lives every day!

Cheers and keep answering those phones![/QUOTE]
Thank you Cindiedee for your kind words.

Archived