Do you take your passport with you?

lhegs

When you stop in ports, are you required to take your passport with you or just your sign and sail card? I am having a mind blank.... Thanks

The three ports we were just in (Cozomel, Beleize and Nassau) required a photo id to get back in, we used our passports just in case, so yes it is to your benifit to have it in case.

Here we go again! This topic is always a debate and usually ends up a tie. But to answer your question, I always take my passport when leaving the ship or when leaving the hotel in a foreign country. We love to travel on land vacations to Europe and I personally carry mine at all times. Personal preference.

dave

As a Canadian to travel in and out of the US it is a requirement to have a passport....but....in Mexico I only need 1 piece of photo id.

I feel that copies of my photo id (passport and drivers license) would be fine if I had to get myself back to the ship by air. But....if my actual passport was stolen or lost while on a shore excursion then I would be in real trouble when I tried to get home once back in the US.

For me I feel better having the originals tucked away in a safe in my stateroom while l enjoy my shore excursions without the worry!

Smiles,Connie

In St. Thomas, yes I did because I did not want to go back to my cabin and put it up. Other than that, NO, we do not take ppts off the ship. We don't do shore excurshions, or other things like that , and are usually only off the ship about 2 hours s o there is no need for us to have them. If something should happen an dwe have to go to the hospital, one of us will go back and get the ppts. God forbid that ever happens.

I usually take my license, S&S card, and a Visa/MC with me as they fit into those little waterproof containers you can hang around your neck.

I learned my lesson once on bringing AMEX card and not Visa/MC when a place I was eating at didn't accept AMEX. Had to run back on the ship and get a MC/Visa. It took an hour in my travel and running time to rejoin my family and pay bill. Good thing it was a place right on the beach. My family went about their business on the beach and the very nice waiter/manager at Pez Quadro in Costa Maya (I hope they re-open) waited for me as I grabbed a quick cab back and forth from the ship.

I usually take my license, S&S card, and a Visa/MC with me as they fit into those little waterproof containers you can hang around your neck.

I always do the same as I usually end up in the 'water' somewhere but I do add a copy of passport - photocopy the first page, shrink it down and laminate to credit card size (also make a laminated card w/travel insurance info as well) - I carry this with me just in case and leave my original passport in the safe - much too hard to carry around and keep track of esp if you are going snorkelling or doing some other active excursion!

I always take my passport in a foreign country just in case.

Ditto! A copy will not get you back in the country. As far as theft, or having it going missing? I have a small aqua-pac and carry it with me at all times, in a secured location on my person. :p

not required. i am not comfortable taking my pp to the beach. i have made photocopies of the face pages of all (with the necessary identifying info -- pp#s), and i take them with me on the cruise.

funny thing is, though...sometimes they make it into my bag on a port day, sometimes, they don't.

I don't step on foreign soil without it :D I figure if I'm going to lose or have my passport stolen, it's just as easy to have your ID, S&S card, credit cards, etc. I just prefer to have it on my person rather than doing me no good in a safe on a ship somewhere... it's a personal preference.

Also, if you carry your passport, make sure you keep a photocopy back at the ship, and also leave a photocopy with someone back home... you will need that copy if something does happen to the original.

Ditto! A copy will not get you back in the country. As far as theft, or having it going missing? I have a small aqua-pac and carry it with me at all times, in a secured location on my person. :p

I think people get confused when traveling in Europe as opposed to the Caribbean. If you are traveling in Europe and lose or forget your passport I agree you are not going far without having it replaced which means a trip to the nearest embassy.

When we travel in Europe we carry our passports for several reasons. The first is passports are stolen with a high degree of regularity. We would rather have them with us but we use a variety of ways to disguise where they are and never ever carry them in a backpack or purse. I even carry a decoy wallet. There are a lot of professional pick pockets in some European countries. Second like I said above you do not go far in Europe without one. We do carry copies of the data page with us separated from the real deals. It's a lot easier to get them replaced if you have the numbers.

In the Caribbean if you need to get home without a passport and are flying directly back to the United State this usually is handled with a phone call. Overseas Citizens Services , (202) 647-5225. Remember your names are on the ships manifest, Homeland Security already has that list, and if you miss the ship Carnival is already aware of it. All of this is easily verifiable. We do not carry them but do carry a copy of the data page.

As always if you are more comfortable carrying one do so. For us we just don't find it necessary.

During the port talk on the cruise ship they strongly suggested you take your passport with you in case you were delayed and the ship left without you. Now, I am no expert, but these guys kinda do this for a living, so I figure they kinda KNOW.

During the port talk on the cruise ship they strongly suggested you take your passport with you in case you were delayed and the ship left without you. Now, I am no expert, but these guys kinda do this for a living, so I figure they kinda KNOW.

We have had just the opposite experience when someone brings up the question. Every time without failure they say all you need is your photo id and S&S. I would think they would add that to the Capers which just says photo id and S&S. I would not even guess why they would make the hundreds of your fellow passengers who are sailing with a birth certificate nervous about not having a passport with them:confused:

We have had just the opposite experience when someone brings up the question. Every time without failure they say all you need is your photo id and S&S. I would think they would add that to the Capers which just says photo id and S&S. I would not even guess why they would make the hundreds of your fellow passengers who are sailing with a birth certificate nervous about not having a passport with them:confused:

To makek them nervous about not being late to get back on the ship!!! We waited in Jamaica for 30 minutes for a mother and her son. They kept paging on the ship over and over thinking that maybe they just blipped out of the system. Originally they paged 3 from the same family, but apparently one was already on board. She received a rousing cheer from the ship as she ran to the gangway

To makek them nervous about not being late to get back on the ship!!! We waited in Jamaica for 30 minutes for a mother and her son. They kept paging on the ship over and over thinking that maybe they just blipped out of the system. Originally they paged 3 from the same family, but apparently one was already on board. She received a rousing cheer from the ship as she ran to the gangway

Never thought of that but as you said the ship is probably operating from past experience mode.

Archived