Is there such thing as "THE" deal?

MrsO

:confused: OK I have the question of the day here... Where is the best place for me to book a cruise for a first timer? 2 adults and 3 kids we are in central Fla so any port around here is easy to get to. I just have no clue if I should go to a TA here locally or continue to look on line for great deals. It will be our first cruise,and I have spent sooooooooooooo much time saving up to have a great family vacation and just dont want to mess it up:confused: I have all of june,and July and most of Aug. to go,so we are pretty flexable. I have been reading for awhile on here and found some great hints. I am just having the hardest time knowing where to start now<sigh>. any advise would be soooooooooooooooo appreciated!!!!!! Thanks all!!!,Ali;)

I have had a lot of luck booking online. Have gotten some really great deals. Good luck with planning your cruise.

Its a little difficult to give you any specifics, since names of TA and online booking is not allowed on this board.

:confused: OK I have the question of the day here... Where is the best place for me to book a cruise for a first timer? 2 adults and 3 kids we are in central Fla so any port around here is easy to get to. I just have no clue if I should go to a TA here locally or continue to look on line for great deals.

Most of the big websites are just interfaces to the big reservation systems. In my opinion that's the place to start your search and narrow down your choices. Assume that the prices are determined by the Cruise Line, and not hidden from the public (there are no "secret" deals). So what you see online are pretty representative (give or take).

Then if you go to a travel agent, you'll already have a general idea of what you want... or at least what your options are, given what you can afford. If you like the agent, and they give you what seems like good advice and the benefit of their experience, then you'll feel comfortable booking with them.

And if you have any questions, just ask them here. You'll get no shortage of advice.

:confused: OK I have the question of the day here... Where is the best place for me to book a cruise for a first timer? 2 adults and 3 kids we are in central Fla so any port around here is easy to get to. I just have no clue if I should go to a TA here locally or continue to look on line for great deals. It will be our first cruise,and I have spent sooooooooooooo much time saving up to have a great family vacation and just dont want to mess it up:confused: I have all of june,and July and most of Aug. to go,so we are pretty flexable. I have been reading for awhile on here and found some great hints. I am just having the hardest time knowing where to start now<sigh>. any advise would be soooooooooooooooo appreciated!!!!!! Thanks all!!!,Ali;)

Sorry we are not allowed to mention travel agencies or agents. You can search online until you are blue in the face but you'll find no bargains. Carnival has a policy that no one is allowed to ADVERTISE lower prices than what they have on their website.

You can email or call different agencies as a lot of them will rebate some of their commission to get you to book with them.

You need to ask each agency if they have any fees like cancellation fees, change in booking fees etc.

Sometimes a deal is not a deal.

Also make sure all the taxes and government fees are included in the price.

Bill

Go with a PVP to make your reservations that way if the price goes down you can get the discounted price, even if you find it on another site. If you have an idea of ports you want to go to just let them know that. They are have specials every week this month I just got an email from my PVP and this week it is $100 on board credit for select sailings.

Look in the space right above your first post on this thread. That is where TA's advertise on CC.

1st. call or visit Carnival online. get their best price for a particular cruise. Then pick an advertiser from above your post. CALL them and discuss the same cruise plus whatever they may have going. Everytime you leave this page and come back the advertising changes, so there are plenty of TA's to check out. Also on the top of this page click on, "find a cruise," and click on, "deals."

Dan

Firstly, for the lowest fares, you should book in August. We usually book this time of your year and have only been diverted once because of a hurricane. This is a gamble of course, but you will still enjoy your cruise. And hey, I have never been to Florida before (we went to Key West. Secondly I would go to an online website that "competes for cruises" and get some quotes. I would also seach online and see what kind of incentives I would get. Plus, it all depends on timing with the prices. Don't get dazzeled by being upgraded. These rooms just cost more because the are higher on the ship. Also, a gty could be the low cost option.Is the ship fillling up? Does it look like there is alot of availabilty? I would talk to Carnival also, then weigh you options. Remember, you have until 90 days out to cancel and receive your deposit back. Some online companies charge a fee for cancelling. Good luck!

OK,just called Carnival for the free video,thanks!! I was looking at some of the ships leaving from Tampa and the port next to Orlando. Is there really that much difference in the ships? What do you suggest for 3 kids 12,10,and7? You guys have the best advice!!! Thank you!!,

One of the things you will have to look at is most ships only take 4 to a cabin. There are a few that will do 5 but it is very limited. If you are looking to all stay in one cabin you will want to find out which ships can accommodate that for you. Once you decide what ship and where you want to go then you can start looking for the best price for you.

Have fun with it and enjoy your cruise....

Find a good TA that keeps up with all the discounts. Make sure they know you are Fl resident. The Fl res. rates can save a a lot of money.

Sorry Carnival for this-

but I noticed that you love Disney, the Fl resident rates on Disney are really good!

Find a good TA that keeps up with all the discounts. Make sure they know you are Fl resident. The Fl res. rates can save a a lot of money.

Sorry Carnival for this-

but I noticed that you love Disney, the Fl resident rates on Disney are really good!

Yeah, I love Carnival, but I am not a single-company person, I like to sample a variety of different ships and experiences. I get a weekly newsletter from Disney because me and my family spend a LOT of time and money there each year, and the newsletter has the 4day cruise for Fl residents right now (not sure what dates) at $399pp incl. all fees.:eek: Too bad tho, next cruise the kids are staying with grandma, and me and my beautiful wife will be enjoying a 7day Carnival vacation, I CAN"T WAIT!!!:D

Firstly, for the lowest fares, you should book in August. We usually book this time of your year and have only been diverted once because of a hurricane. !

I agree- August/Sept is hurricane season. But the later in August you go the cheaper the rates will be. (schools in Florida go back mid august dont they?)

We sailed a 6 day itinerary on Liberty for 388. pp (full price) so you can find good deals.

The longer you wait=-= the more you will pay. so the price you see today might not be the price tomorrow.

I talked to carnival today and they gave me a rate of 2500 for a 5day cruise for all of us. ok the question is..... why is it that every site I go on show cheaper rates? They said this is the total for EVERYTHING,including taxes. Does this sound about right? once again ,thanks for the advice!!

I talked to carnival today and they gave me a rate of 2500 for a 5day cruise for all of us. ok the question is..... why is it that every site I go on show cheaper rates? They said this is the total for EVERYTHING,including taxes. Does this sound about right? once again ,thanks for the advice!!

This September is our first cruise too. I noticed that on some websites it asked if I wanted to prepay my gratuities and others did not. With my PVP I am prepaying my gratuities, could that be the price difference?

Is that rate including gratuities and fuel surcharges? I'd ask. Tips will run you $50/pp for the cruise. I'm not sure about the fuel supplement on that one, though, I know it would be $5/pp per day for the first 2 people in the cabin, so $50 at the least. When looking at rates for other companies add in the cost of the $50/pp in tips, and at least $50 for the fuel surcharge. Also, find out from Carnival whether or not that quote included tips and fuel.

Is that for 2 cabins? ( i like my cruises to cost pp no more then 100 per day)

what ship and what month?

online sites probably are not giving you a total with taxes or port charges. Each cruises has it. plus now there is a fuel charge per cabin. (make sure your agent is looking at that too.

You can look on the bottom of the online sites to see if the fine print says..

Prices are cruise only, per person, based on double occupancy, and do not include applicable taxes and fees.

You also want to be careful of online agencies with cancellations fees. Some agencies will charge as much as 75.00 to cancel. Cruiseslines give you until final payment until fees are applied for cancelling.

also- gratuities guidelines are 10.00 per person per day-- so for you that would be an extra added 250.00 for tips for cabin steward, waiter, asst waiter and the people who will wait on you up at the lio deck.

A PVp will not quote you prices that include gratutities -so that is not the dfference in price.

oops I was wrong, the cruise is to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It includes all port charges and taxes,thats all. The total price is 2,743.00!!!!!!!!!!!That seems crazy high to me:( It was for one cabin for all 5 of us.I am ok being squished in one lil cabin with one Mr o and three smaller O's(yes I will need a drink or twelve:p ),but it just seems like a much higher price than what I have noticed on different sites. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee help!!:eek:

I would suggest going to the cruise compete sites. (You can google this to get the correct site.) Different travel agency's will give you quotes for the cruise. Before booking make sure to check whether everything is included. Also check to make sure there is no cancellation fee and whether or not you get a refund if the price goes down. If you book with Carnival and the price goes down. You can call them and they will change what you owe or give you on board credit.

I ordered a free DVD from Carnival.com, and a PVP (Personal Vacation Planner) called me every day thereafter.

Laffs... you didn't tell them that you already had a TA you were working with.... that would have stopped the calls day 1.

I think its great that they call... but everyday or even a few times a week would make me Grrrrrr:mad: ... the one that called us... just left # and said if we had any questions that the TA couldn't provide to please call them back. (which i did a couple times)

Don't be afraid to get that DVD it does provide great info especially for 1st timers :)

~S

oops I was wrong, the cruise is to Cozumel and Grand Cayman. It includes all port charges and taxes,thats all. The total price is 2,743.00!!!!!!!!!!!That seems crazy high to me:( It was for one cabin for all 5 of us.I am ok being squished in one lil cabin with one Mr o and three smaller O's(yes I will need a drink or twelve:p ),but it just seems like a much higher price than what I have noticed on different sites. pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee help!!:eek:

I assume you are looking at Inspiration for that Cozumel and GC 5 day?

What type cabin were you getting quotes for? Also what date? I can look it up for you real quick

I have a Cruise Critic group going in July, we have lots of kids of all ages in the group. Check us out for a deal. Click on my links below.

Archived