Passports for Canadians going to Bahamas

timberchop

We are sailing in February on Disney Wonder. We are Canadians and are travelling with our children ages 4 and 7. Do we need passports or will birth certificates be good enough? What about photo ID for the kids? Anyone had any experiences with this issue?

Our table mates were from Canada and I believe they said they "needed" passports. I do not know for certain that this is true.

I did however, find this on DCL's website.

All U.S. and Canadian citizens must travel with proof of citizenship, which is a valid passport, original, state-certified birth certificate and picture identification, or a certified naturalization certificate with a picture identification. Acceptable forms of picture identification are state or provincial driver's license, or federal, state, province or local government photo I.D. card. Guests age 17 and under who are U.S. or Canadian citizens are only required to have proof of citizenship, excluding picture identification. These guidelines are based on U.S. government regulations which are subject to change at any time. It is the Guest's responsibility to check with their Travel Agent, government agencies, embassies or consulates prior to their vacation to ensure that they have proper documentation. Any Guest traveling without proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of cruise fare will be issued.

We are fellow Canucks. Having been on the Disney Magic three times and returning in January, my advise to you is to have a passport. Our 11 year was included in my wife's passport until last year when he got his own. Having said this however, I do recall other Canadians having only their driver's license when we went through customs at the end of the cruise. I still believe, to avoid hassles, get a passport for yourselves and children if they are over 10 years old. If they are under 10, maybe include them on one of your passports. Hope this helps.

Technically NO, you do not need a passport, but as others have recommended, it is MUCH easier and much quicker for all the various immigration processes if you DO have a passport.

As a Canadian citizen you could just have the certified birth certificates and photo IDs (photo IDs only required for those 18 and older) but it makes good sense to get the passports for everyone. The requirements COULD change (as they say on the DCL site, they could change at any time) before your cruise and it's better to be prepared.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi my TA has warned me that starting in Jan 2005 you may need that passport. There will not be any notification period either. I got mine as a matter of routine (ex-military). I have learned that rules change very quickly in different places. If for any reason you need to stay on an island (injury, illness ect) then you need passport.

We too have been to the Bahamas many times both on cruise ships and land vacations. We have never needed more that our birth certificates and photo id and have never had a problem. We carry our children's birth certificates. That being said, because we live near the Canada/US border we have seen a real change in the ease of crossing into the US since 9/11 and so last year we got passports for the whole family. The funny thing is, the lady in the passport office told us we should not routinely carry our birth certificates in our wallets as we've always done due to identity theft situations but we should carry our passports. Not sure why there'd be a difference. Bottom line, you won't have a problem without a passport in the Bahamas and when changes of this nature are made they DO give you notice, but it's not that big of a deal to get one anymore - we had them in two weeks.

• 2 months later...

I am a Canadian who resides in the states, with my resident alien card. My husband and kids are all American. When we travelled I was advised to have a passport, even though it wasn't mandatory at the time. I was so so glad I went ahead and got it, it made everything so much easier. I have travelled a lot to Mexico and to cruise ports, and even though I have all sorts of official documentation as to my residency... once I got a passport, life just became so much more simple.

Hi there

I travelled on the Wonder in Sept and at check in you surrender your passports to the Disney Cruiseline. You are given a yellow slip of paper to hold onto, to show that Disney has your passports. upon embarking after visiting the Bahamas we were required to show our photo id ( Driver's License ) and your sail and sign card.

Upon disembarkation in Port CAnavaral you get up real early and go through customs and receive your passport back ...

Enjoy the cruise. It is wonderful

DiMitch,

My wife is also a Canadan citizen living in the states. She has the paper work for her passport but is having someone sign the back of her passport photo. We do not know that many people that would fall into the category of "professional". We have asked our doctor to sign the photo but we are not sure if she will or not. Will a corporate executive (such as my director) be accepted?

Thanks, Ron

Archived