San Francisco help

continuing on a shopping note - am I likely to fuel my scrapbooking addiction in SF?

Guess what? I was at my local Papyrus (a card shop - an expensive card shop!) and they had some scrapbooking supplies.

Not extensive by any means of the imagination (the stores are notoriously small - seriously small - like the size of the cabin on a ship in some places - OK maybe a tad bigger than that!)

Anyway, thought of you. You will have to report back if you found acceptable scrapbooking - other option is to shop online and have it shipped to your hotel. Love that idea - assuming your hotel will be good about holding package for you :)

Hi,

We will come into SF on a cruise ship on 4/29. We are going to Alcatraz in the morning, then in the PM( around 12:30 would like to ride the Cable car. Can you get on and off whenever you want ...will you have to pay each time you get on ?? ( if you do, should we get a one day pass $11.00 ?) I think we will want to ride from Wharf area to Lombard ST(crooked street area get off to see it, ride to Cable car museum get off to see it, then ride up to Union Square see that and then go back to wharf area around 4:00PM. Sound do-able ??

Thank you so much for the help.

Frank

Hi,

We will come into SF on a cruise ship on 4/29. We are going to Alcatraz in the morning, then in the PM( around 12:30 would like to ride the Cable car. Can you get on and off whenever you want ...will you have to pay each time you get on ?? ( if you do, should we get a one day pass $11.00 ?) I think we will want to ride from Wharf area to Lombard ST(crooked street area get off to see it, ride to Cable car museum get off to see it, then ride up to Union Square see that and then go back to wharf area around 4:00PM. Sound do-able ??

Thank you so much for the help.

Frank

You know, that is a great question. I can only remember riding with my handy dandy pass.

From what I could see - no transfers (one way fare) but I really couldn't find anything about reboarding. Can any of my other San Fran pals help here?

The one day pass that is good for unlimited cable car rides (there are 3 lines) as well as muni (light rail, buses, etc.) might be better deal for you.

Yes, you can get on/off at any Cable Car stop - they are marked with a brown sign - but that would be a bummer to have to pay when you get back on. You've got to pop off at Lombard street to get photos of that site! The secret to easy access sometimes means not waiting in line at the turnarounds . . . walk a few blocks and you can board at any of the cable car stops (as long as there is room). You shouldn't have any issues the time of year you are coming.

http://gocalifornia.about.com/cs/sanfrancisco/a/cablecartour.htm

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/fareinfo.htm#cable

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/transportation/publictrans.shtml

http://www.sfcablecar.com/routes.html

I do think your route is doable. Weedays are less crowded, so you shouldn't have to wait to board - keep in mind during morn/afternoon rush hour they have a tad more passengers as us SFers do use them as real transportation.

Do check out http://www.511.org and map out what you want to see - it will give you most efficient route. The places you mention seem all to be on the same line - so that should be pretty simple - and of course, if it is taking too long for you - you can always hop off and take a taxi.

It isn't the fastest mode of transportation in the city - but it is the most fun!

Have a great visit!

check the 511.org site--what you want is to get a transfer--those are good for about 2 hours. I'm not sure if the cable cars you get one--but I would think you would --as you need proof of payment at all times on any form of Muni.

I have lived in the city for 25 yrs and have ridden a cable car--maybe twice. do not ride them if it is raining--or choose the california line. they are dangerous in the rain. the cable car museum is cool--lombard is a bit of a yawn from my viewpoint. the crookest street in the city is somewhere else--but lombard is a known tourist spot.

NO matter what the weather, take a warm coat to alcatraz. the tourists visit the windy/cold side of the island--and it will be windy. the inside is very cold--no heat. the nice warm side on sunny days is closed to the public.

Looks like the answer is an ugly no for cable car transfers. Normally on any of our buses or light rails, you do get a transfer ticket. Here is the language from the Muni website:

Muni Transfers/Fare Receipts

Transfers/fare receipts are issued when the fare is paid and are valid for travel on any Muni vehicles (except Cable Cars) for at least 90 minutes but for no more than two hours, from the time of issue. Keep your transfer for your entire ride, and for any subsequent rides during the valid period. Valid transfers/fare receipts are considered Proof of Payment on Metro lines.

Transfers/fare receipts are valid on Muni for a stopover and/or round trip, as long as travel is completed during the period for which the transfer/fare receipt is valid.

Transfers/fare receipts issued by drivers after 8:30 pm are marked Late Night and are valid until 5:00 am. Subway gates and ticket machines issue transfers/fare receipts valid for 90 minutes at all times.

As of January 1, 2005, always ask for a transfer on all Muni lines except Cable Cars, even if you do not plan to transfer to another vehicle.

Transfer/fare receipts are not valid on Cable Cars or for special service.

Cable car fares

These cable car fares are effective September 1, 2005.

• No transfers/fare receipts accepted or issued
  • Adult & Youth (ages 5-17): $5.00 each way (single ride on a single cable car)
  • Senior (ages 65+) & Disabled:

Monthly passes, monthly sticker affixed to a valid Regional Transit Discount card, BART Plus, and Passports are valid on cable cars. Weekly passes require a payment of $1. Valid token coupons require an additional payment of $3.50 (no savings). Interagency passes do not count towards cable car fares

An All-Day Passport ($11) is sold by the conductors on the cable cars. This passports are equivalent to a Passport only on the day sold.

The conductors can make change for up to $20.

Archived