Old San Juan hotel information

love2cruiseseattle

I am looking for information on anyone's experience at the hotels in Old San Juan. I have read reviews on tripadvisor, but would like to see if anyone here can give me more information.

We are looking to stay one night at a hotel in Old San Juan (El Convento is out - 2 night rule). Any place you have stayed other than the Sheraton?

Thanks for any information.

We stayed at the Howard Johnson this past December and were happy with it.

Hello fellow Seattlite.

How was the location around the hotel? would you stay there again? Are there safes in the rooms? any issues at all? I saw that it is about $115 per night in late October.

Thank you.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, right off the Plaza de Armas. Nearby are numerous restaurants, a drug store, a market and some outlet stores. The area boarders on a residential area so there is mix of retail, residential and government buildings. We were there for two nights pre cruise and had a great time and would definitely stay there again. There were three of us traveling together so we had a King Suite which included a King bed plus a twin bed in the same large room. The hotel has been criticized for having very few rooms with windows. However since we had a suite, we had one of the few rooms with balcony and thus a window. The hotel staff was very friendly and did a great job managing luggage during the busy checkin/out times. The hotel offered a breakfast but just had typical cereal, muffins and juice.

We cruised Princess which departed pier 4 and was an easy 15 minute walk to from the hotel. However, we did take a cab on cruise morning since we did not want to lug our stuff that distance. The morning of departure, we got up, walked down to look at the ship as previous passengers were departing, wandered around town then eventually ended back at the hotel to check out and grab the cab back to the pier with our stuff.

Other hotels that looked interesting were the Hotel El Convento which looked very nice and was relatively close to the Howard Johnson. The Hotel Milano which is on the other end of town but near some great restaurants like the Parrot Club and Dragonfly.

How is the Sheraton Old San Juan? Is there very much to see/do around the place in the way of markets, stores, places to eat?

Our first cruise, and honeymoon gets back on June 22 (My birthday) Adventure of the Seas - and we are going to stay a night in San Juan.

Suggestions/Comments would be much appreciated :)

I am looking for information on anyone's experience at the hotels in Old San Juan. I have read reviews on tripadvisor, but would like to see if anyone here can give me more information.

We are looking to stay one night at a hotel in Old San Juan (El Convento is out - 2 night rule). Any place you have stayed other than the Sheraton?

We are also staying at the Howard Johnson in Old Town. It was recommended by a friend of my sister who lives there. The price is reasonable.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, right off the Plaza de Armas. Nearby are numerous restaurants, a drug store, a market and some outlet stores. The area boarders on a residential area so there is mix of retail, residential and government buildings. We were there for two nights pre cruise and had a great time and would definitely stay there again. There were three of us traveling together so we had a King Suite which included a King bed plus a twin bed in the same large room. The hotel has been criticized for having very few rooms with windows. However since we had a suite, we had one of the few rooms with balcony and thus a window. The hotel staff was very friendly and did a great job managing luggage during the busy checkin/out times. The hotel offered a breakfast but just had typical cereal, muffins and juice.

We cruised Princess which departed pier 4 and was an easy 15 minute walk to from the hotel. However, we did take a cab on cruise morning since we did not want to lug our stuff that distance. The morning of departure, we got up, walked down to look at the ship as previous passengers were departing, wandered around town then eventually ended back at the hotel to check out and grab the cab back to the pier with our stuff.

Other hotels that looked interesting were the Hotel El Convento which looked very nice and was relatively close to the Howard Johnson. The Hotel Milano which is on the other end of town but near some great restaurants like the Parrot Club and Dragonfly.

Oh im so relieved to read your review of the HJ. Where did you eat for lunch and dinner? Is there a grocery store or convenience store to buy soda to take on the trip? Also can we walk to the pier from HJ, were going on Destiny for our cruise?

We stayed at the Hotel Milano for one night, Sunday February 24, 2008. The room was small, but clean. The continental breakfast was served on the top floor of the hotel, reachable only via stairs, on a lovely terrace.

Upon arrival we hauled our luggage (enough for an 11-day cruise) from the street, to the sidewalk, up two stairs, and through a heavy set of double doors. Our only disappointment was with the 3 employees in the lobby who did not lift a finger to even hold the doors open. The same luggage "service" applied when we checked out. I would not suggest the Hotel Milano if travelers have difficulty moving their own luggage or have mobility problems.

We just stayed at the El Convento in Old San Juan for one night on March 1, 2008. We called the hotel directly and they had no issues with only booking one night.

All I have to say is that it was the most unique hotel I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. It was absolutely fabulous and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. It is pricey but it is worth it for the experience of staying in an very old convent that has modern facilities yet the old character has not been lost. The location is superb in my opinion ie. near fine dining, local ethnic dining, shops and beautiful walks along the fort walls. Staying here was a highlight of the cruise!

Kim

We stayed at the Milano on one of our stops in San Juan and we did like the room, however, we had a front room on a Saturday night and the partying in the street lasted way into the morning hours. My husband wanted to go and join them but I was tired from the cruise. Took a few sleeping pills and tried to ignore the noice.

On another stay we stayed at the Hampton and I loved it. It was close to restraunts and you could walk to the beach. If we cruise out of San Juan again we will stay there.

hotels fares for oct25 1 night

condado plaza $159.00

sheraton old san juan $189

la concha-reg fare $199.00 senior fare $179.00

caribe hilton $169.00 weekend rate

normandie $186.00

hotels fares for oct25 1 night

condado plaza $159.00

sheraton old san juan $189

la concha-reg fare $199.00 senior fare $179.00

caribe hilton $169.00 weekend rate

normandie $186.00

Thank you Carmen. We are leaving towards the Sheraton Old San Juan since I can use some points and we will be able to walk around Old San Juan when we get there.

On our return we are looking at the Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort, have you heard anything about this hotel? Is there places to eat outside the hotel in this area? How far from the airport?

Thanks again to all.

El Convento is a unique hotel, if you have the chance to stay there do it. Sheraton hotels are dime a dozen around the world but there is only one El Convento hotel and it is located in the historic district.

Archived