Auckland taxi question

Hi guys,

Will be in Auckland early April...roughly, what is the cost of a taxi fare from the airport into the city...and how much would a shuttle cost??

I thought the shuttle was about $13 from memory. There will be two of us and want the most cost effective way of getting into town.

Also, can anyone recommend a good tour company that I can check out on the net, for some tours to the glow worm caves and Rotarua?

I have done the tourist things around the city, but am looking to go a bit further afield. Would it be better to hire a car maybe??

Thanks

Karen

I usually get my Bro in Law to do the taxi thing in Auk, but I think you are looking at about NZ$40. I did some research so I could pay nephews who sometimes did the driving. Of course it depend on where you are going.

There is no MV industry in NZ so there are many imported vehicles about. This means that there are a lot of low cost car hire companies offering 3-4 year old cars at very cheap rates.

Used one back in 2005 to do the Rotorua thing and can recommend. For Australians no issue with licences or road rules

cheers

I would definately go for the hire car. We did it easily. There is so much to see and do at rotarua. We used pegasus and have heard several people say they have found them to be good too. They will bring the car to the docks for a small fee.

Ian at mount classic is also very good for private tours.

He used to advertise a lot on here but you dont see him around much , you have to contact him.

his website was excellent in that it had private tours for all the stops in NZ not just tauranga. He was very helpful in putting together a tour for me.

http://www.mctours.co.nz/cruise_ships.html

We came home from Aukland a month ago. There is a discount taxi ($35) and the super shuttle($29) for two from the hotels to the airport. I would think you could get them from the airport into town, too. We took the shuttle from the Hilton to the airport. It was a 10-seat mini-van.

Just try a google search on these sort of terms and you usually come up with a few companies that will be able to assist "Shore Trips New Zealand" or add the name of the port from which you want to take the trip from such as "Shore Trips Auckland" or "shore trips Tauranga" hope that helps

We have just got back from Auckland and we used the discount taxi service from our hotel to the airport and it cost us $30 NZ which was very cheap as it was about a 1/2 hr ride. The shuttle is a bit cheaper but we were told it can take a long time to get to your hotel.

I used the shuttle last time I was in NZ (about 4 years ago). The driver took us on a tour of Auckland, up the hill to the look out and lots of other places...It did take us a bit longer to get to the hotel, but it saved us a heap of money on doing an organised tour!! LOL!!

Has anyone used the hire car company 'jucy'?? I had a look at Pegasus and a few others.

Think we might use the shuttle to the hotel, spend a couple of days in the city, then hire a car to travel further afield.

Archived