Bad knees and Ketchikan kayaking?

ready4alaska

I'd like to book a combination kayaking/fishing excursion through Ketchikan Kayak ( http://www.yakfishalaska.com/index.html ) for mid-July but am concerned about getting into and out of the kayak.

Sitting is no problem, but my knees are fairly trashed for kneeling on (I have to have a pad under them). How agile do you have to be? I would ASS-U-ME that there is a staff member to help passengers into & out of the kayak?

TIA -- I love this website!

Best,

Nancy

Can you get up from sitting on the floor?? I would not count on requireing someone to have to put a lot of effort into getting you out, with a great deal of lifting. A "hand" can be offered, but the overall effort needs to be yours.

Budget Queen,

Can you get up from sitting on the floor?? I would not count on requireing someone to have to put a lot of effort into getting you out, with a great deal of lifting. A "hand" can be offered, but the overall effort needs to be yours.

I won't win any awards for grace while getting & and out, but yes, I can get up off the floor. No lifting at all required.

Thanks for your post, and for ALL the posts you make! Your advice is excellent.

Regards,

Nancy

If your "bad knees" are like MY bad knee, any activity that requires my knee to be nearly immobile for a period of time is a problem. In a kayak, your legs are in front of you in the boat, with footrests. So you can move your legs a bit.

See http://overlandresource.com/over-water/canoe-vs-kayak for more info on how one sits in a kayak vs. canoe.

Because of my problem with immobile positions, I can't really canoe or horseback ride any longer. But am looking forward to my first kayak trip.

Only you know what your limitations are -- it took me a while to find mine (when I got stuck on a horse and had to be lifted down was when I recognized SOME of my limits :) )

OK definately not pretty- but if you do a dock kayak trip, I have seen people just kind of "roll" on to the dock and then get to standing. :) Works well, that I saw.

Heck, with the way I'll have to roll in/out of the boat, I figure the kayak company ought to pay me for providing entertainment for thr group! :D

Thanks everyone!

Nancy

Archived