Charge to set up a "Meet & Greet"?

theduffys

I tried to do a search on this question but the search engine does not seem to be working. We have contacted NCL to try and set up a "meet and greet" for our roll call group. They have told us that a room with coffee, tea and Danishes will cost $4.03/pp. When did this start? Since coffee and tea is always available for free, that seems sort of costly for a Danish. What have others done for their "M & G"?

I got the same response in trying to put together a m&g for my cruise. We are going to do it near the pool on our own. People can eat what they want and order their drinks. No point in paying for food when it is free in the restaurants.

I was told that we could have Dazzles at 4PM. That is the time we leave Miami. We did not want to sit in Dazzles when we leave port. It was taking NCL a while to coordinate another time and location. As I said in my previous post....it was just easier to do it on our own. We decided on 11am the first sea day which is the first full day of the cruise.

Good luck with your m&g. It is always a lot of fun meeting everyone.

I got my confirmation today for the Dawn and nothing was said about a fee...Below is what it said in my e-mail:

Good morning,

Confirmed for the Star Bar for Monday 21 April, 10:30am - 11:30am for 20 pax.

Yulexi Perez

Group Event Coordinator/ Norwegian Dawn

I got the same response in trying to put together a m&g for my cruise. We are going to do it near the pool on our own. People can eat what they want and order their drinks. No point in paying for food when it is free in the restaurants.

DJ Dale...

Just and observation...If you set up your own M&G, you will probably not have the benefit of the senior officers attending your M&G.

DJ Dale...

Just and observation...If you set up your own M&G, you will probably not have the benefit of the senior officers attending your M&G.

That is something we considered. We have several families with kids of varied ages. While it would be nice for them to meet the officers, we felt the kids would be bored sitting in Dazzles. If we do it near the pool, the kids can play and eat while we socialize. Most the families are still going to make sure the kids meet a few officers outside the m&G.

OhioNCLcruiser...the cost is for the food. There was no charge for the room for the m&g

I set mine up with the Ship's coordinator and she gave us Le Bistro at 10:30 AM first day at sea. She said there will be cruise staff visting also. I didn't ask about food (although it would be nice if they provided coffee and for no charge) but I figure everyone would have already eaten breakfast and by the time we're done , lunch will be right around the corner. I am just looking forward to meeting my fellow CC members and meeting some of the staff.:)

DJ Dale...

I truly don't mean this rudely but seriously, who cares? I don't want to meet the staff - I want to meet all the folks on my roll call. I WILL NOT pay extra for this. I can get coffee and a cookie for free at the buffet.

I hope others refuse to pay also.

I just caught wind of this on my roll call and I can't begin to describe how PO'd I am. :mad: I could rant on and on about this but I won't. I will take a deep breath and walk away. Maybe I can post a rational response later.

This is a really bad move on NCL's part.

I tried to do a search on this question but the search engine does not seem to be working. We have contacted NCL to try and set up a "meet and greet" for our roll call group. They have told us that a room with coffee, tea and Danishes will cost $4.03/pp. When did this start? Since coffee and tea is always available for free, that seems sort of costly for a Danish. What have others done for their "M & G"?

we had 95 CC'S attend our roll call meet on the Pearl last yr..no charge at all...coffee, tea, danish, etc ...4 officers, C.D..the works in Le Bistro

• Administrators

Good heavens. Of all the questionable PR decisions I've seen NCL make, charging for setting up a meet and greet of booked passengers who have shared their anticipation, etc. online for months in a publicly-visible web forum (which helps NCL book new business, and on which NCL advertises) is over the top, just plain DUMB. I would certainly understand a charge for alcoholic drinks, since everyone on the ship pays for those (though I've read many reports of the hotel director on various ships comping an hour or so of open bar at such CC gatherings).

But charging for stuff (coffee, danish) you can get for free elsewhere on the ship??!!! NCL HAS to have lost its corporate mind, if for no other reason than the visibility and popularity of CC (especially since the Trip Advisor acquisition -- about 17 MILLION people a week, world wide, visit Trip Advisor). Why wouldn't NCL furnish a bunch of free stuff (no additional cost to the line), and maybe some officer face time, to a population from the web's most active cruise-related site?

I'm thinking "penny wise, pound foolish." :(

We had our meet and greet at Henry's pub at 10 am on the first sea day. I was surprised to see coffee, juice and cookies set up for us and the senior officers. It was very nice. They didnt say a thing about any charges.

Evelyn

I for got to mention the ship Norwegian Spirit

Don't be jumping to any conclusions folks. NCL has always charged groups looking to book a private room. I booked a room last April for a meeting, and was told the room was free but that I would be charged for coffee and danishes if I wanted them. The charge was $4.03 per person. The price list they provided me with also included prices for bar service, etc. I opted to take the room only...no charge.

NCL has always provided a room for CC gatherings and served coffee and danish free of charge. It sounds to me that the person at NCL who responded to the OPs inquiry was merely providing facts on what NCL normally charges for a group gathering. These prices were being charged long before 2.0

It has never been their policy to do so for CC, so let's not panic until someone gets their first bill...OK??? :D

We just had one in Feb for about 40 people and we had the Star room along with tea/coffee/hot chocolate and danish at no charge. The ship coordinator was leaving after that cruise to await her baby. Maybe the new one didn't understand it was forf a meet and greet.

Don't be jumping to any conclusions folks. NCL has always charged groups looking to book a private room. I booked a room last April for a meeting, and was told the room was free but that I would be charged for coffee and danishes if I wanted them. The charge was $4.03 per person. The price list they provided me with also included prices for bar service, etc. I opted to take the room only...no charge.

NCL has always provided a room for CC gatherings and served coffee and danish free of charge. It sounds to me that the person at NCL who responded to the OPs inquiry was merely providing facts on what NCL normally charges for a group gathering. These prices were being charged long before 2.0

It has never been their policy to do so for CC, so let's not panic until someone gets their first bill...OK??? :D

We were not offered a private room. Dazzles is public. If this was for a corporate meeting then I could understand....maybe....but this is for a cruise critic meet & greet. Our efforts promote the cruising industry. Why should I pay for a danish when I can go and get it for free? This is not just happening to just one group. I also had to deal with Yulexi Perez. Maybe Ms. Perez is not familiar with cruise critic but I doubt it since it appears she deals with these requests on a regular basis. I was quite clear with her what cruise critic is and what the meet & greet was all about.

It's really no big deal for us. We just do it at the pool and eat and drink as we want. It was a surprising disappointment though in NCL.

I agree! I feel that a Meet/Greet is NOT going to be a fee...I would call another person and clarify..

PS- I thought it wonderful to meet fellow CC people and the staff on the Gem!

I set mine up with the Ship's coordinator and she gave us Le Bistro at 10:30 AM first day at sea. She said there will be cruise staff visting also. I didn't ask about food (although it would be nice if they provided coffee and for no charge) but I figure everyone would have already eaten breakfast and by the time we're done , lunch will be right around the corner. I am just looking forward to meeting my fellow CC members and meeting some of the staff.:)

YOU did set up the M &G..you DW did.ha:D

We had our meet and greet at Henry's pub at 10 am on the first sea day. I was surprised to see coffee, juice and cookies set up for us and the senior officers. It was very nice. They didnt say a thing about any charges.

Evelyn

I for got to mention the ship Norwegian Spirit

ditto the 2/17 sailing on the Spirit. coffee, cookies, tea and danish.... no cost

Archived