Casablanca Tour Question

cruiserus

We will be in Casablanca on a Princess cruise in April and we have some questions. To anyone who has been there, did you feel safe walking arouond the market place on your own? We are trying to decide between two shore excursions. One is the City of Casablanca which includes a narrated drive, a guided walk through the Central Market and the Habous quarter, with a visit to the Mahakma Law Courts and photo ops at Mohammed V Square and Hassan II Mosque. You are taken to a shop near United Nations Square for shopping. The other tour is The Best of Casablanca and Rabat. You visit the Mausoleum of King Mohammed V, Hassan Tower, Chellah, and the Kasbah, Hassan II Mosque, the Law courts, and Habous Quarter. Photo stops include the Mechouar of the Royal Palace and Mohammed V square, and lunch with belly dancing performance is included. Shopping is in the Habbous quarter.

I am tempted to do the first tour as they will let you stay in the town afterwards. I always enjoy shopping and looking in local stores, but am concerned about safety. The second tour has some interesting sights, but not much independent shopping time.

Would love inpput for anyone who has been there or taken either of these excursions. Thanks.

I lived in Casablanca for two years. It's extremely safe. Your biggest worry will be pickpockets. Either ignore beggars completely or give them some change, but never be rude to them. Remember that people will view you as a rich foreigner, and try to to be sympathetic to the fact that the average Moroccan makes less than $200 U.S. a month.

Other things to remember: Moroccans can be very animated and somewhat loud (like many Mediterranean cultures). It doesn't mean they are angry or mad at you. Shopkeepers will press you hard for a sale. Don't be intimidated, and haggle all you want (but have some idea of the market value if possible). If someone is very rude to you and you feel threatened, shout "hshouma"--this means "shame on you!" and as face is very important in Moroccan culture, the person will probably leave you alone (or, at the very least, will be shocked that you know the word and back off).

I have to say, I love the King's Mausoleum in Rabat, so I'm tempted to recommend that tour. I don't understand why they take people to see the courts in Casablanca (in my opinion there is not much to see); personally, I think the time could be better spent.

As for bellydancing, it's not Moroccan, but they do it for the tourists.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions: casoli1 @ yahoo . com

--Nicole

Archived