Help me choose these tours in Hilo

LegalCat

Okour cruise will be in from 8 am to 6 pm... I am using shore trips for this because we have gift certificates to use from them... the two choices are:

VOLCANO NATIONAL PARK, RAINBOW FALLS AND BLACK SAND BEACH - 6 hours - 113 p/p

See the spectacular sites of this tour from the comfortable captains chairs in your air conditioned van. Your professional guide will narrate as you drive from the port in Hilo. You will first visit the fabulous Rainbow Falls whose 89 foot high cascade hides a sacred cave. We'll then stop half-way up at a gorgeous orchid farm for a few minutes of leg stretching and picture taking.

There will also be a stop at the beautiful Japanese Gardens, named for Queen Lili'uokalani. In addition to enjoying the fishponds, gazebos and bridges of the gardens, you'll also get a fabulous view of Mauna Kea and the Hamakua coast.

We will now begin the ascent to Volcanoes National Park, taking in the native plants, trees and ferns along the way. Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park encompasses diverse environments that range from sea level to the summit of the earth's most massive volcano, Mauna Loa at 13,677 feet. Kilauea, the world's most active volcano, offers scientists insights on the birth of the Hawaiian Islands and visitor's views of dramatic volcanic landscapes. This tour drives along the 11 mile Crater Rim Drive to view the Sulphur Banks, Steam Vents, the Jagger Volcano Museum and Observatory, Halema'uma'u Crater, Kilauea Iki Crater and the Thurston Lava tube.

No visit to Hawaii would be complete without a visit to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm. Here you will see the complex operation, stroll the farms' beautiful nature trail and of course, sample the farm's famous products.

If you wish, a stop can be made at the famous Hilo Hatties to stock up on all your Aloha attire.

We'll also visit the marvelous Richardson Black Sand Beach. Make sure to bring your camera as the scenery here is delightful.

Lastly, you will visit the sea turtles, as they feed and swim only a few feet from shore.

OR

PRIVATE HAMAKUA COAST AND AKAKA FALLS WITH COFFEE AND CHOCOLATE PLANTATION - private charter $276 (for up to 4 people - we are two people so i assume we pay 276 and have the car or van to ourselves) 4 hours...

This tour will show you several different sides of Hilo, including some spectacular scenery and a real look at a historic 100-year-old sugar cane plantation home.

Begin your tour with a journey along historic Banyan Drive to Liliokalani Gardens & Coconut Island. Disembark and enjoy spectacular views of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa volcanoes and Hilo Bay. Your guide will give you a brief geological history of the Hawaiian Islands, and recount the stories of the two major tsunamis that impacted the town of Hilo.

Continue up the Hamakua coast to Honolii surf spot, where you can watch for whales (in season) and admire the beautiful waterfall. Then head north, traveling up the 4-mile Scenic Drive to Onomea Bay where you will view the "sleeping lady." Along the way, you will see plants brought by the early Polynesians growing amongst the tropical fruit and macadamia nut trees of the present day farmers.

Stop to grab a quick lunch or a smoothie at What's Shakin' (not included) before continuing up through the historic sugar town of Honomu to the spectacular 439-foot Akaka Falls. Enjoy a walk through the tropical rain forest, by large bamboo along a loop trail to view the numerous majestic falls.

Now you will return to your tour operator's home in Papaikou, a historic 100-year-old sugar cane plantation home where they grow coffee, macadamia nuts, chocolate, and many beautiful tropical flowers. Stroll through the tropical flower gardens, and learn how coffee, macadamia nuts, and chocolate are processed. You will even get a change to pick your own coffee bean! Relax on the wrap-around lanai, looking out at the ocean and enjoying a cup of Kona Coffee, macadamia nuts, and raw chocolate.

We rented a car and went to VNP, then drove down to Akaka Falls State park and the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. We started out early with the shuttle to Budget, got our car was on our way. Be prepared with a rain poncho and a warm jacket or sweater for VNP...it rained while we were there, but at the falls and nut factory it was sunny and very warm. Take a flash light if you go to the lava tube and wear old shoes you won't mind getting muddy at the VNP.

We rented a car and went to VNP, then drove down to Akaka Falls State park and the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory. We started out early with the shuttle to Budget, got our car was on our way. Be prepared with a rain poncho and a warm jacket or sweater for VNP...it rained while we were there, but at the falls and nut factory it was sunny and very warm. Take a flash light if you go to the lava tube and wear old shoes you won't mind getting muddy at the VNP.

We did exactly this same itinerary for our port day in Hilo. All three places were very easy to drive to and the roads are well marked. A Mustang or Sebring convertible will cost about $60.00 + $20.00 in gas. Then spend the money you just saved on yourself and the others in your group, just a thought ;)

Thanks, we booked VNP. Also as I said, we were given the tours as gifts from our honeymoon registry so that is why we arent renting a car and doing it on our own to save money... free tour paid for by people we barely know = better than renting a car even if its only $60 :)

VNP, no question. I know I mentioned this in my other post, but let me add again: If the tour company adds an excursion to the new lava flow (which is not in VNP and can't be accessed through the park) and if you can switch to that and if you are really interested in seeing flowing lava "up close," then you might want to choose that. Otherwise, VNP is absolutely what you want. There is so much to see and take in that has nothing to do with the lava flowing now. I feel bad when there's a perception that VNP isn't "worth" it if you (general "you") can't see flowing lava.

Choose VNP (not that I'm opinionated or anything).

beachchick

Beachchick, I can't imagine anyone thinking that VNP isn't worth visiting. I know it may be a dull boring thing to some people, but I was so amazed at the size of the craters and some were still "smoking", and how large an area it was. Things like this awe me anyway, but what amazes me more is how beautiful the whole chain of islands is and it was all created from these huge, powerful, deadly volcanoes. If I ever get back I will go to VNP again!

We went to the Punalu'u Black Sand Beach, then to VNP, then to the Kileau Coffee company for samples of coffee and macadamia nuts (and bought some to bring home), then to the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory for the tour and LOTS of samples (bought some more to bring home), then to the post office to ship some of the many macadamia nuts we had bought home so we didn't have to travel with them. It was a great day. Here's a few pics of VNP, the black sand beach and Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Factory (click on them to make them bigger). Enjoy your tour!

1128135875_CrateratVNP.jpg.2bc78be43fd765a4772d48d642fc180b.jpg

364449287_HalemaumuuCrater@VNP6-27-06.jpg.f655e450cd00e33ebd21780c4b13c943.jpg

1024478522_BlackSandBeach-GreatPicture.jpg.72c8b493b9dcd92945c9eb2fcc1ea2c5.jpg

19268190_BlackSandBeachwithLazyTurtle.jpg.2572a6ddfedb8ff113fd3389938a1615.jpg

1172106749_MaunaLoaMacadamiaNutFactory-Hilo.jpg.9d4a73c6eaf7fbdfc32f00449cc19eec.jpg

Archived