Husband doesn't want to dress up!

shmoggy

Oh, I know exactly why he hates dressing up. He's a cop and has to wear a uniform every night to work and it is extremely uncomfortable. He wants to be free to wear what he wants to wear and I'm just not going to get upset about it because we're going on vacation and we both need to be happy, so I'm just trying to figure out what the bare minimum would be for him...no flair! (Office Space lovers, hope you got that reference!) Anyway, I'd certainly enjoy seeing him all dressed up, he used to be a Marine and he was gorgeous in his dress blues, but I know how miserable it can be to have to stand like a manequin all night just to be able to breathe!

Aha..well that certainly puts a different spin on it. When you described him as "one of those guys" well I was ready to go into the mother mode for you. Sorry.:o Okay he's one of our finest and wants to breakout of that uniform .I can understand that. My DH has worn business suits for the past 30 years and he feels the same. Tux's have always been out of the question for the cruise . The magic of a cruise is my issue, his attitude is this is a vacation...are there any golf courses???:eek: Our little agreement is that we go to the first formal night ,I get gussied up and he wears a comfortable black suit and tie and the other formal nights we book reservations in the restaurants. Food and company is just as good and I can still get dressed up and he can relax!:D

Bottem line this is not about "the threads" and there are other alternatives! Life is just too short.

LOL, shame on you, putting those lovely expensive ties with a shirt and sucking them into buying it.

It is gorgeous, it's a lavendar color tie with the medallion design, but really!!

We are lucky, we live in Maryland near the factory and the outlet store.

Also, I have some of the women's business suits from back when you made women's clothing. Still ticked off you got out of the women's business.

He has a few of the "3 fers". The jacket with two pair of slacks, to make a suit and a jacket with slacks set -- he takes them on business trips.

We get a lot of "I wish you sold women's clothing" comments. But generally speaking, I believe you ladies have a wider choice of places to buy "career clothing."

You are indeed fortunate to live near a Jos. A. Bank outlet, but all of our retail stores have wonderful bargains every day!

I know how miserable it can be to have to stand like a manequin all night just to be able to breathe!

As lel has suggested, if a suit is uncomfortable it is the fault of the wearer, not the suit. Unfortunately few men today know how a properly tailored suit should fit.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but to the poster who mentioned family portrait, Thank You!!! We are headed to alaska for dd grad gift and I hadn't even thought of that, I was considering skipping formal just to cut back on packing, but now I've totally rethought that!

Dressing well and enjoying one's evening are not mutually exclusive.

I agree and I also agree that ill fitting suits/clothes are the reason that some consider these clothes uncomfortable and not the clothes themselves.

DH and I do not change after dinner. Our formal clothing is as comfortable as any other and I personally have never understood why people spend time dressing up only to race back to their rooms and change.:confused:

karen sharpe has the best solution in her post IMO for those who have men who prefer not to dress up.

Archived