Port or Starboard-Spring Crossing ?

Martita B.

Question ~~During the Pride March Crossing my suite is located on the Starboard side of the ship. Won't this be the "sunny side" Crossing to Lisbon? (I usually stay Starboard)

I believe coming from Europe, in the Fall, the "sunny side" would be the Port.

Thanks in advance!:D

Martita

Question ~~During the Pride March Crossing my suite is located on the Starboard side of the ship. Won't this be the "sunny side" Crossing to Lisbon? (I usually stay Starboard)

Martita

Indeed Martha, you're right! I hope they will upgrade you to a balcony suite. Then you will be able to sunbathe unwatched!

Marja (going to sunbathe in Spain for a couple of days!)

Marja

Have fun in Spain!

On the Atlantic Crossing's I request Deck 4, as a few times I've been "knocked a'round & a'bout" up on Deck 6.:eek: Once on a Pride Fall Crossing from London, one morning (south of Greenland) it was snowing right out my suite window~~everybody was laughing and snickering when I related the surprise SNOW! Later that day Captain T.T. saundered up to me and said, "Marta, it wasn't snow at all....it was salt drifting down from the Monkey Top!! It was pretty funny as the snow was only on the Starboard side!

Thanks for the information ~~

MB

MB,

Thats funny. I like that. They probably thought you were well on the 'bottle'!

It must be quite magical sailing from / into London,

We have three more cruises booked. Next year-Far East on the 'Spirit'-from Shangai to Singapore.Autumn Venice to Lisbon and in 2010 ( we hope ) Sydney to Hong Kong on the Odessey.Not sure when we will know.

Kind regards,

Tony

Tony

The morning of "the snow fall" my cute Stewardess was in my Suite and saw the snow drifting down too~~~she was surprised! She was the one that went across the hall and came back and said, "Miss Martha, it's not snowing on the Port side!" Neighbors came in to see the snow:eek: Later we all learned it was tiny particles of SALT!

Congratulations on your very exciting Seabourn voyages! I've also booked several cruises/crossings for 2009 and 2010. We all certainly need to have these voyages in place and booked ~~the Sister's are selling out quickly for many cruises!

Happy weekend ~~:p

Martita B.

>"~~the Sister's are selling out quickly for many cruises!"

I have nothing scheduled for '09. I wish Seabourn had a 'last minute' list whereby those of us who can pack in an hour and be out the door could get notified and then sign up and go. I figure there must be a market for his kind of 'pack and go' sailing.

Jane

That idea would be great! But alas, after 9/11, the voyage passenger manifest has to be cleared a couple of weeks in advance, so guess we won't see any "last minute-go" sailings.

I booked the Spirit for a voyage in 2010 ~~no "A" suites left ~~

JB and I try to book 2 years in advance simply to secure space for a "run-of-the-ship" ~~the best rate for solo Sailor's.

Happy Weekend!

MB

I didn't really mean 'the day after tomorrow' but surely there are suites to be filled on some cruises. Even before the passenger manifest is finalized is short notice or the time after final payment is due, which is 90 days. I love the idea of a sale and a 'last minute' cruise.

Have passport and credit card, will travel.

Martita

You should be right. In the days of P & O cruising GB to India to avoid the sun 1st class passengers tried to go Port out Starboard home ( hence posh ) to be in the shade, therefore the opposite should give you the sun.:cool:

Do not fear, the transatlantics are not selling out far in advance; only the very least expensive fares for singles do.

Similarly, Seabourn does run specials for close in sailings...though you need to watch the pricing. Sometimes the specials are not any less expensive than the normal rates without the hotels, etc.

As for manifest, the final manifests are not provided until very shortly before the cruise. That is why there is a new "board and (not or) check-in 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure or you will be denied boarding" policy with every US line that operates in the US.

There are, in fact, times when very short time availability exists...if the cruise isn't sold out AND price is not the concern. (A great deal on a balcony is still very expensive compared to an oceanview at a higher rate.)

>>f the cruise isn't sold out AND price is not the concern. (A great deal on a balcony is still very expensive compared to an oceanview at a higher rate.)"

Price is a concern here, I am looking for a bargain. But surely, a cruiser at 110-125% is better than none since the ship is sailing anyway, right?

Keeping this on thread, I wouldn't care if the suite was port or starboard. <G>

Jane

I totally agree ~~I believe all solo sailors are interested in good rates ~~not 200% ! And as to POSH I don't have a preference either.

Somehow (?) I usually am assigned a starboard suite.:D

Hope your weather during the weekend is better than West Texas!

Still very chilly ~~~brrrr

MB

FYI, 110% is history. The lowest single supplement is 125% and that is not on every cruise.

If cruise lines started heavily discounting cruises close to departure, as was done immediately post 9/11, people don't book, but wait for the lowest fares. That was, and remains, a very poor business model. Therefore, usually the lowest price and best selection, is almost always found by booking early. If the prices for your suite category reduces before your final payment, for some reason, your travel agents should reduce the price accordingly if told about it.

If, however, you don't care where the ship is going and can go on short notice, with a keen eye on per diem cost, you may find a bargain once in a while. For some that works, but for most it just isn't practical or attractive.

How about Silverseas Venician (sp) Society last minute cruises? I still get emails from them with a list of about 4 or 5 cruises upcoming in a few months. Not sure if they are bargains or not, tho.

Jean

>"If, however, you don't care where the ship is going and can go on short notice, with a keen eye on per diem cost, you may find a bargain once in a while. For some that works, but for most it just isn't practical or attractive."

I am not talking about a buisness model,

and I don't need a lecture on it. I am not interested in what is or is not attractive or practical for others. I am not interested in playing games to see if a certain price drops.

If invited to fill a surely empty suite, I could be tempted to cruise, perhaps on a repeat itinerary, but for a deal, would go again.

Or is sailing with an empty suite more cost effective than filling it? That's the question.

Geez, didn't mean to offend.:eek: :confused: I was just putting out the info for everyone. It wasn't directed to you, personally. (Just like mentioning the 110% isn't in existence anymore.)

As for business models, Seabourn has no plans to dump suites, but anyone can wait in hope that it'll happen, I guess.

I don't consider 125% 'dumping'. Since you seem to know all of Seabourn's business plans, perhaps you can answer this relatively easy question.

>"... is sailing with an empty suite more cost effective than filling it?"

You should be right. In the days of P & O cruising GB to India to avoid the sun 1st class passengers tried to go Port out Starboard home ( hence posh ) to be in the shade, therefore the opposite should give you the sun.:cool:

I guess it's somewhat sad that nowadays "posh" is more often associated with one of the Spice Girls.:(

johnny

Martita,

If the sun becomes a wee bit bright, you can always pull your suite's sheers!:D

johnny

Johnny

You are correct! Draw those sheers together!

Actually I never close the heavy drapes! I enjoy the open feeling and also the light. I understand Guests in Suite #119 must close the heavy drapes at night because the bright security light (outside/above) shines right in the suite! :confused: Lordy!:eek:

Have a grrreat weekend!

MB

If cruise lines started heavily discounting cruises close to departure, as was done immediately post 9/11, people don't book, but wait for the lowest fares. That was, and remains, a very poor business model. Therefore, usually the lowest price and best selection, is almost always found by booking early.

Eric,

I keep a keen eye on the Internet prices of various cruises when searching for our next adventure. Invariably we book early for cruises and don't do too badly.

I have noticed the lack of true last minute bargains on most lines. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but there seems to be a period, just after 'final payment' where prices can drop considerably for a short period of time? Maybe this is the cruise company's 'yield management' software catching up with actual bookings.

BTW, I'm not talking about the luxury lines here.

I'd be interested in your direct yet informative take on this;)

Cheers,

Steve.

I don't consider 125% 'dumping'. Since you seem to know all of Seabourn's business plans, perhaps you can answer this relatively easy question.

>"... is sailing with an empty suite more cost effective than filling it?"

The answer is, as I said: When you take the entire ship into account and the pricing it seeks to support for the entire ship it is absolutely more cost effective to sail with the one or so suites empty.

For guests the issue is generally that one suite they want, but for Seabourn it is not only about that suite, or that one sailing, but an overall sales strategy.

To be sure, it makes solos - especially the ones that enjoyed the 110% single supplements - subject to sticker shock and, for some, less cruises but it is what it is. I would love to be able to put 4 in a suite - and there is room for a family with children - but Seabourn isn't going to do that either.

Jane, you have a good. long time, TA. See if what I am saying is agreed with or not. I am not sure why, and I am not even the messenger, I am being shot at.:confused:

Eric,

I keep a keen eye on the Internet prices of various cruises when searching for our next adventure. Invariably we book early for cruises and don't do too badly.

I have noticed the lack of true last minute bargains on most lines. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but there seems to be a period, just after 'final payment' where prices can drop considerably for a short period of time? Maybe this is the cruise company's 'yield management' software catching up with actual bookings.

BTW, I'm not talking about the luxury lines here.

I'd be interested in your direct yet informative take on this;)

Cheers,

Steve.

You are correct that some of the more mass market lines do have lower costs on some (but not all) of their cabins after the final payment deadline has passed. But you should keep in mind that, while there may be a great deal to be picked off, most of the time you will find the cabins to be the less desirable ones (near the laundry or lifts or bow) or of a category higher (or lower) than that which you wanted.

So the price might be better, but if you are paying more for a higher category the cruise line wins and you are paying more. If you are paying for a lower category then you would have purchased, the cruise line still wins (as now it has your money and it already sold "your" cabin at a higher price) and you don't have what you really wanted.

So I can book people on a March 22 cruise on a "deal", but they can't be that choosey...and most of those fares require you book air independently - which can be off putting to some.

So if you are fairly flexible there are some good last minute deals, but you have to really research it and usually be willing to compromise.

Archived