Any info on Costa Serena Canaries itinerary??

jones721

Two families sailing on Costa Serena later this month from Savona to Canaries. 4 adults and 4 children between the ages of 11 and 15.

Most of the information on this board understandably, seems to be from the Caribbean so anyone who has done this itinerary, could you share some info with those who are due to sail soon? I know there are other people also sailing later in the season who would appreciate some feedback too.

Andy, you posted some information on another thread and I have replied to you on there - plus asked you some questions - but as it was entitled, 'Is Costa really that bad?' thought it might be more appropriate to start a new thread!!

I have looked at the ports of call boards and got some info on the ports from there so have a few ideas of what to do in some of the ports - but any more info would be great. Also, how far away from the towns does the ship dock as I thought I read a while back that Costa charge to shuttle you in and out of most of these ports - and x8 people, that will soon add up!

We have sailed on Costa Magica in the Caribbean for two weeks in Xmas 2006 and on Costa Atlantica in the Med quite a while ago. I know the waiters then told us that as soon as the ship crosses the Atlantic, the service changes to cater for European guests. The food portions get much smaller and there is more fruit and salad on the meni and in the buffets. However, this was in 2002 so things may have changed.

Also, we quite like going to the quizzes (Trivia) and on the treasure hunts (scavenger hunts) and Costa in the Caribbean was great for this. However, the UK entertainment staff said their contracts only run in the Caribbean and they hand over to Italian staff in the Med - so will any of this be in English??

Any information that anyone can post on here will be very greatful,

Tracey

PS Sailing on the new Carnival Spendour in August from Dover to the Baltic (and Russia) and this will be the sister ship to Serena. It will be very interesting to see the differences between the two cruises on almost identical ships!

Dear Tracey,

I'd already posted a reply on the other thread but I'll duplicate it here because as you say, the title of this thread is more relevant.

The Trivia on board is multi-lingual. Make a point of chatting to the entertainment staff on the first day and they will look out for you for the rest of the cruise - they made sure we felt included, as English speakers, as I'm sure you aware, are in the minority.

In Barcelona, Arrecife and Malaga we took the Costa shuttle bus from the port into the town centres. The tickets cost 5 Euros per person return which wasn't too bad. You can purchase the tickets at the automatic ticket machines on board using your room card - no need to queue up at the Excursion desk.

With 8 of you travelling, it may be more convenient and possibly cheaper to get a taxi (or two!) from the port to Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. I'm estimating it's only about 15 minutes taxi ride.

La Ramblas is the wide boulevard lined with shops and stalls and is fairly quiet in the afternoon when the ship is in dock as most of the shops shut for siesta. It's near where the shuttle bus drops passengers.

In Malaga, there's a beach right next to where the ship docks, you can literally walk there in two minutes. Just head towrds the town and you will see it on your right.

We loved the Serena - the decor is way over the top but we were expecting that after being on the Concordia last year. Anyhow, what's wrong with having an atrium full of life sized statues of gods sitting on clouds and pole dancing? We love the fun atmosphere on board, the entertainment staff were great and I'm sure your kids will love the Squok Club. We actually thought the food in the dining room was just about the best we've ever had on a cruise ship but we're veggie so I can't comment on the meat dishes and the service couldn't be faulted. Don't miss the 70s revival night, group dancing by the pool side to a live band playing all those cheesy songs you'd never admit to liking but secretly love! Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin' al-i-i-i-i-ve....

Oh and watch out for the singing and dancing waiters in the Dining Room on Fantasia Italiana night. Take something red, white and green to wear.

Hope you have a great time.

Andy

Andy, thanks, yes found your other post.

I know a lot of people have criticised the decor on the ship - but I have found some pictures and like the look of it. A bit Las Vegas style!

Malage, if the weather is okay, we will probably visit the beach. Only a morning in port there so don't want to go too far.

Good point about talking to the entertainment staff at the beginning of the cruise. Although on the Magica, the UK staff weren't very professional (quite young and obviously their first jobs), we chatted a lot to them as we knew some of their home towns and I think they liked the link with home. So they always came over to talk to us. Multi lingual trivia - ummm, interesting!

Have you cruised other lines?

Thanks,

Tracey

I am going in a week - am very afarid about games being in Italian.:mad:

Maybe this will help a bit:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38477

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=38574

Thanks.

You will probably be getting off the ship as we are getting on!

Tracey

Dear Tracey,

Have I cruised other lines? Hmmm, let me see. In order, Thomson, P&O, MSC, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity. I've done 4 cruises on Princess and 3 cruises on Costa.

I would say that Costa are my current favourite. We always seem to meet such nice people on board and we like the food.

We also like the mix of nationalities that you get on Costa.

Best Wishes,

Andy

Thanks.

You will probably be getting off the ship as we are getting on!

Tracey

6 days to go for us! I am so excited as this is our first cruise - I am easy to please so I know we gona have great time!

Good luck to you and have fun - you can wave to me on 24. :D

Website link to pictures . . . fabulous, thanks.

I am easy to please too so can't forsee any major problems. Hope my sister's family enjoy it as they haven't sailed Costa before and it was me who talked them into going. Spending two days in Nice before the cruise which we are immensely looking forward to - loved the area after visiting Villefranche for the day on Norwegian Jewel.

Tracey

Archived