Carnival Sea Miles Cruise Savings Card

amybear912

What experiences do you have with using these???

For Christmas, a family member gave these to some of us to encourage all of us to cruise on Carnival together.

According to the back of the card, we have to book through a specific website (www.seamiles.com) or call their number.

So I called.

The price I was quoted for the cruise we are interested in seems much higher than Carnival's website. Do you pay brochure price to use these "savings cards"? If that's the case, it's not really a savings, right?

Am I missing something about this feature?

By my calculations, if we booked directly through Carnival and were able to use the card, the value of the card would just about cover one person's fare...

Tell me what you know about this...

What experiences do you have with using these???

For Christmas, a family member gave these to some of us to encourage all of us to cruise on Carnival together.

According to the back of the card, we have to book through a specific website (www.seamiles.com) or call their number.

So I called.

The price I was quoted for the cruise we are interested in seems much higher than Carnival's website. Do you pay brochure price to use these "savings cards"? If that's the case, it's not really a savings, right?

Am I missing something about this feature?

By my calculations, if we booked directly through Carnival and were able to use the card, the value of the card would just about cover one person's fare...

Tell me what you know about this...

They are fine, I just book our Spring Break 2009 cruise using 100,000 seamile points for a $1000 off a Royal Caribbean cruise. But to the point while booking I ask the agent if they were just a regular travel agency and she said no. We handle Seamile customers and AMX customers. Mostly AMX. No problems at all. Used them twice now. And both times their price has been to the penny as 1-800-Carnival.

That is the problem! My TA always discounts the cruise line price, PLUS I'm entitled to a military discount on Carnival, as well as a Platinum discount on RCCI. Seamiles' TA will not honor ANY discount! As far as the card to which you refer; they do jack up the price! They are basically worthless.

Seamiles' TA will not honor ANY discount! As far as the card to which you refer; they do jack up the price! They are basically worthless.

WOW!!!! I hate to here this. I have only used them twice to book a cruise and that was when I was redeeming Seamile points earned on the Carnival Sea Miles Credit Card. I prefer booking directly with the cruiseline. But the times that I did book with Seamiles they have been to the penny as Carnival and in the last case Royal Caribbean dead one the price or I would not have booked. Booked that cruise two weeks ago. I hope that is not changing.

A SeaMiles rep on board a Carnival ship told us that you have to do your homework before you call them. Some of their agents will attempt to quote higher prices (thereby better commissions). I've even found similar problems with Carnival PVP's. Just recently while booking a New Year's cruise I was looking for a particular cabin area between the middle and back of the ship. The first PVP had nothing but a couple cabins in the complete front of the ship. The second PVP had those same cabins and 1 or 2 more. Finally, on my third try the PVP happened to have a few cabins in the area I was looking for. Like they say, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again. We've had to do this on several occasions when booking. From what I hear, I think SeaMiles may be the same way. They probably don't want to give you a discount if it cuts into their commission.

That is the problem! My TA always discounts the cruise line price, PLUS I'm entitled to a military discount on Carnival, as well as a Platinum discount on RCCI. Seamiles' TA will not honor ANY discount! As far as the card to which you refer; they do jack up the price! They are basically worthless.

You are incorrect I get the same exact price as carnival would give me plus I get the point discount as well. I have now booked 2 cruises using my past guest at the same price as carnival and was able to turn in my points. I have one coming up that I got my military discount and was able to turn in points as well. Someone has either given you the wrong info or they have changed their policies.

So I do have to book through the seamiles rep? Or can I book direct through Carnival and tell them I have this card?? I'm confused:confused:

Also, couldn't I just tell my rep that the website says X price and insist on that price?

We usually book guarantee cabins and then later sometimes upgrade, sometimes not... the rep told me there were no guarantees available but the website is showing them... can you NOT book guarantee with this card?

So I do have to book through the seamiles rep? Or can I book direct through Carnival and tell them I have this card?? I'm confused:confused:

Also, couldn't I just tell my rep that the website says X price and insist on that price?

We usually book guarantee cabins and then later sometimes upgrade, sometimes not... the rep told me there were no guarantees available but the website is showing them... can you NOT book guarantee with this card?

I am sorry that I didn't answer your question. Yes you have to book through seamiles.

I always know what the price that Carnival is offering so I don't get over charged by TA's. Also there might be a difference in price due to the fact that Seamiles likes to give the whole amount when they quote their prices. Which includes the taxes, port charges and the fuel charge.

Yes you can book guarantees with Seamiles and my next cruise is an IS category. Not sure if there are any restriction with the gift card but would assume there isn't.

SeaMiles.... I just called the Seamiles rep I use and she confirmed what you said. That was only true to the gift cards. Cashing in on points was current market value set by the cruiseline less any other discounts you might qualify for like military, past guest. The cruiseline sets that. I can provide the number of the Seamiles rep I have used twice if you like. She explained the way the gift cards worked. They were a bit of a joke and they had very little takers on them.

rsjcjackson@gmail.com

thanks... that clears up that bit...

what about deposit amounts? do I have to pay in full when I reserve or do the usual deposit amounts apply? we don't sail until september...

even more questions... do I have to purchase the vacation protection plan they offer... we usually do our trip insurance through someone else...

AND...

since the rep is telling me there are no inside guarantees available but the website clearly indicates that there are... how do I handle that? I assume he is telling me this to get me to book a specific room (at the slightly higher rate than a guarantee)...

sorry to be pesty with questions... never gotten one of these before and I would hate to think it was a wasted effort on the part of the family member who gave this to us...

one other question...

I'm usually pretty proactive about watching the price of my cruise and when I see it drop, have always managed to get the credit...

I assume that if I book through seamiles and the price drops, that I will NOT be able to get the credit (price of doing business with seamiles I assume)...

That is very true about Seamiles pricing, I was comfused too because they do quote out the door prices. I think that is good. There not hiding anything. or putting a good price out there and then tell you about port fee's tax'es, fuel surcharge, whens it going to stop with the fee's on top of the price of the cruise.

They will match prices for 24 hours I believe. When you book make sure you get the extension for the consultant you book with I ended up canceling all my bookings with them because I could never talk to the same person and they would not or could not help me or answer my questions. I will book my FREE cruise with them but I will never again use them for any other bookings.

one other question...

I assume that if I book through seamiles and the price drops, that I will NOT be able to get the credit (price of doing business with seamiles I assume)...

I was told that if the price dropped anytime up until I made my last payment they would honor the price that Carnival had. After final payment I was locked in to the price.

Bumping this back up...

So I'm gathering that the gift card is pretty useless and I might be better off just booking through Carnival and foregoing the "cruise savings card"...

But just to make sure that I have all the information I need to make this decision:

*If I use this card, do the usual Carnival deposit amounts still apply?

*Do I have to get the vacation protection plan through Seamiles or can I get my own travel insurance through our usual provider?

*If I book through Seamiles, am I locked into brochure rates which are quite a bit higher than the rates on Carnival??

Any tips on negotiating the best deal with Seamiles reps???

Archived