War in Colombia

IAMAMT

With rumors of war erupting between Columbia, Ecuador and Venezuela is there any concerns with regards to a future cruises through the canal this fall. I am not familiar with the political situation between Panama and Columbia. Is the Canal far enough away for their neighbor that this will not be an issue? We are on the Coral Princess in Mid-September.

No one that wants to remain in power for more than a milli-second is going to threaten the Canal.

Panama was a province of Colombia until the Colombians became meddlesome over the issue of constructing a canal there - and presto! New Country - that just coincidently was 100% on board with US plans for construction of the canal.

The present problems with Colombia and its neighbors arises in the context of Colombia finally getting the upper hand on this insurgent group which is an unusual blend of rural communism gone narcotics mafia. FARC has effectively blended the graft of a dope production enforcer with 'red solidarity' such that they have the support of certain neighboring populist politicians (who just happen to have large stashs of FARC dope $$ in their numbered accounts at Panamian branches of Swiss banks). 'Ya gotta love S. America. The present Colombian regime has been pretty effective against FARC - with improved tourism resulting, and the regime's hits against FARC on and across the borders of Ecuador and Venezuela has caused the present saber rattling of populist-nationalist leaders in those countries that have done nothing previously to keep FARC from using the borders for refuge and resupply (they've sold FARC materials and protection).

I doubt the present saber rattling will escalate further and if it does it'll 'blow' over quick (sniff sniff). Personally, I doubt even porting Cartagena will be effected, and Canal transits will most certainly be uneffected.

IMHO

No one that wants to remain in power for more than a milli-second is going to threaten the Canal.

Panama was a province of Colombia until the Colombians became meddlesome over the issue of constructing a canal there - and presto! New Country - that just coincidently was 100% on board with US plans for construction of the canal.

The present problems with Colombia and its neighbors arises in the context of Colombia finally getting the upper hand on this insurgent group which is an unusual blend of rural communism gone narcotics mafia. FARC has effectively blended the graft of a dope production enforcer with 'red solidarity' such that they have the support of certain neighboring populist politicians (who just happen to have large stashs of FARC dope $$ in their numbered accounts at Panamian branches of Swiss banks). 'Ya gotta love S. America. The present Colombian regime has been pretty effective against FARC - with improved tourism resulting, and the regime's hits against FARC on and across the borders of Ecuador and Venezuela has caused the present saber rattling of populist-nationalist leaders in those countries that have done nothing previously to keep FARC from using the borders for refuge and resupply (they've sold FARC materials and protection).

I doubt the present saber rattling will escalate further and if it does it'll 'blow' over quick (sniff sniff). Personally, I doubt even porting Cartagena will be effected, and Canal transits will most certainly be uneffected.

IMHO

Thank you for your calming words and intelligent, informed answer.

I was in Cartagena last week on MSC Lirica and we had no problems. It is a beautiful city with many students and professional people. There were a lot of soldiers around but no feeling of tension for us cruisers, at least.

We were also in Panama. Colon is a world unto itself :eek: . I have family who met us at the ship and took us to see the Gatun Locks- great port to check out.

The border tensions among Venezuela, Colombia and Ecuador are supposedly over. For some reason Hugo Chaves suddenly stopped his posturing and decided to shake hands with Colombia's Uribe. So the whole tempest in a teapot blew over--for now.

Some say the reason is that Chaves didn't really have ten squadrons of serviceable tanks that could even make it to the border. Others say that in its cross-border raid into Ecuador, Colombia captured computers and other material with damning evidence that Chaves has funded terrorists and threatened to expose him. Who knows the real reason the hostilities ceased so quickly?

I would have no fear about going to the Panama Canal. No cruise ship will sail near an area about to break out in a shooting war. Have a great and memorable cruise.

Archived