New to cruising!

bwjm

I'm a little confused, and conserned. I get the idea of the 'upgrade fairy' and booking in a certain cabin number and such (i.e. kids are across the hall idea) do you usually get them? Not sure what all the gty and guarentee stuff means. Can someone help me understand?:confused:

I booked it so me and DH (after 10+ yrs he's all but, but that's another story:eek: ) are apart. My DD BF and I are in mini and DD and DH are across hall (they'll be 2 wks short of 16 yo by time we sail), so girls will be there, we in mini. We're leaving in a year, will we for sure have these rooms? NO upgrade? Unless I get, what, an owners suite? Vista suite, I have no desire to move.

So, question, long story short, they won't move us if we booked certain rooms, till they?:rolleyes:

Not that I have enough luck to get an upgrade, lol.. I can't even win the lottery.

It is a 1st cruise for all 4 of us. Luckily, these boards helped me decide to take my DD along to begin with, and are such a wealth of information.

Just trying to understand the room situation. I looked all over in the other thread of helping to figure out what cabin to get, and I think I have the best one for the 4 of us, just want to be sure that the 'upgrade fairy' doesn't come visit me for first cruise:(

If you want to make sure you keep the cabin you book, have your TA mark your booking as "do not upgrade". That will ensure that Princess doesn't give you a free upgrade that you may or may not consider better than what you picked out originally. If you booked directly with Princess just call them and ask them to mark your booking that way.

Enjoy your first cruise!:)

If I understand you correctly, you booked a cabin for the kids across the hall from your mini suite and want to make sure that the arrangement stays that way.

Call your TA, or Princess if you booked direct, and ask that they mark both cabins as "no upgrade". That way, the rooms you picked are the ones you get.

You can't specify that you'll take an upgrade to a full suite, but not to a higher category of mini-suite. Sometimes an upgrade is not really an upgrade if it's not in a location you want.

We always book the cabin we want and have it marked "no upgrade".

Most upgrades are within the same category (i.e. BC to BA, or AD to AA).

As far as guarantee cabins are concerned, they can put you anywhere on the ship as long as the room has at least the rating of what you paid for. (i.e) book a BG balcony and they can not give you anything less than a balcony in any location on the ship, or a mini, or a suite.) Most guarantees are assigned somewhere in the category you booked, but suprises do happen.

I hope this helps.

I can't believe how fast you all replied! Yes, my TA knows the situation, but will confirm with her that this is the case, of 'no upgrade'.

Thanks to both of you, as yes, that's what I want, no upgrade. I want the girls across the hall.

Just wasn't understanding the gty thing. If you gty then why think of upgrade? But now it makes sense.. Just gty the cat! Got it!

Thanks much.. I know on princess you have to be 16 to be in room, and I am comfortable with that with the girls, but can't book that way. Just wanted to cover my bases!

Even when marking the booking "no upgrade" they can still be offered, but they will not do it without checking with you first. We were booked in a minisuite/inside combination a few years back and my TA called 5 days before the cruise with an offer to move us to the family suite. We accepted the family suite which was a great layout for our family of four, though there were a few negatives associated with it being all the way forward. Princess would not have moved us if I had not okayed it though.

Just wondering, but do they ever "upgrade" a person who booked an aft (wake) cabin)? The reason I asked is I've never had my TA note "no upgrade" and only one previous cruise was I "upgrade" (from an inside to a much larger inside). But it seems that aft (wake) cabins are pretty high demand - and people specifically book them. The only way I'd accept an "upgrade" is if the upgraded cabin was still wake facing...that's the whole reason I chose that cabin.

Archived