Passport Book or card

We are sailing on Sov of Seas in early July and I am getting the passports applications together. I noticed that you can now get a passport card which is valid for land or sea travel only. Does anyone have one of these? Would I be better off getting the regular passport book? The cost of the card is about 1/2 of the book. DH and I don't plan on traveling to Europe anytime soon so perhaps the card might be better? What about our DS's--ages 12 and 15? Thanks.:)

They haven't declared a definitive date that they will be sending the cards. They started taking applications but there is no production date so there is no telling when you would receive it.

The one thing that would keep me from getting the card vs. the book is if you were to get sick or something and needed to fly home from port you couldn't since it isn't valid for air travel.

We are sailing on Sov of Seas in early July and I am getting the passports applications together. I noticed that you can now get a passport card which is valid for land or sea travel only. Does anyone have one of these? Would I be better off getting the regular passport book? The cost of the card is about 1/2 of the book. DH and I don't plan on traveling to Europe anytime soon so perhaps the card might be better? What about our DS's--ages 12 and 15? Thanks.:)

My friend is going on her first cruise in May on RCCL and she found information stating the cards are not going to be issued until sometime this fall even though they started taking applications like the first of February.

I read on a previous thread that the cards were only good for re-entering the U.S., and they weren't recognized in some foreign countries as valid U.S. citizen ID. Something about the U.S. not consulting with other countries before they started up the card program.

The one thing that would keep me from getting the card vs. the book is if you were to get sick or something and needed to fly home from port you couldn't since it isn't valid for air travel.

I just got the kids passports this week and that is exactly what the passport lady said -- she highly recommened getting the book.

For you upcoming cruise, you don't need a passport, a certified birth certificate and drivers license is all you need.

The "Passport Card" has limited values, and cannot be used to fly, the reason the cruise lines recommend a passport at the moment is that, should you become ill, or miss the ship, then you have your passport, to be able to fly home. This is not possible with the passport card, so IMHO, until you NEED a passport to cruise, then the Passport Card is a waste of money for cruising

Thanks everyone! Guess we will be getting the passport books.:)

Uksimonusa--RCI told me that we would need a passport. By June 1st the law is changing to everyone needing one (per RCI).

According to the State Dept web site, the date for passports for cruises has been put back, for about the 3rd or 4th time, until as early as June 1st 2009

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1200677666905.shtm

:D

This question was asked on another board I visit. I googled the Passport Card and from what I read it appeared it was only good for places that in the past would have only needed a birth certificate such as Bahamas, most of the Carribbean, Mexico and Canada. And as others have already mentioned if you have to fly, you are out of luck because that will require a passport.

As for RCI stating you will NEED a passport even though the timeframe appears to have changed, my thoughts on this are that the travel industry is probably tired of being pulled in so many directions, today we NEED one, oops it's been changed now, oops, now you can cruise but not fly, etc. I am with them - just get it over with and have one. Who knows when they are going to just outright require them, no exceptions.

Archived