Sitka dilemma... Help!

Misha

I have just about everything planned and confirmed for our trip, but am contemplating a Captain Davey boat tour in Sitka. We are taking the domed train to Denali and back, doing the back country tour, taking the train to Seward, where we only have a few hours so I think a Kenai Fjords trip is out. The ship cruises Hubbard Glacier if it can, then we stop in Sitka. I know about the Raptor Center and the National Park totems and leisurely hikes, and dancers, Russian castle. I don't know if we should book Captain Davey there or not and am looking for opinions. He sounds like a wonderful man. The ship then goes to Tracey Arm Crossing where we booked a Tracey Arm Explorer tour through the ship that takes us to Juneau. In Juneau, we booked Captain Case and the Can Can for a 5 hour boat tour and may get out to Medenhall or the Mt. Roberts tram. Next is Skagway where some of us are renting a car to do Murray's route and others are taking the 7 hr. Chilkoot rail/bus tour to Carcross. In Ketchikan, we have a flightseeing tour with Island Wings. I also have lists of things to do in each port if we have a mind or the energy to do them. I don't want to miss a must do, but I don't know if we need to spend more time on the water and I don't want to overdo it all.... Looking for opinions.... This board has been a wealth of information. I thank you all so much

I think you should have plans at every port stop - even if that means you plan to do a walking tour of the town. There's nothing wrong with booking an excursion in every port - especially if this is a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip.

Capt. Davey takes only 6 people on his boat at a time, so he may already be full when your ship is in port. We're going on his 4-hour wildlife tour in Sitka, but we don't have nearly as many "whiz-bang" excursions planned for this year as you do. We did some of those last summer: a Misty Fjords flight in Ketchikan (disappointing due to weather), a whale watch in Juneau with Alaskan Marine Adventures, and the 7-hour rail/bus excursion to the Yukon with Chilkoot Charters.

The one thing that I can suggest is in Sitka. Now all ships have to tender there so please allow plenty of time for the tendering part. We were there last year and we were the furtherest ship out of the bay and it took over a half hour to get to and back. Ship excursions get to go first. Also on Sitka stops the time is alot less than Juneau and Skagway. Also there are times that it is so rocky for the tenders in Sitka because of weather. I am just telling you to allow plenty of time for the tendering.

marilyn

I disagree with PennyAgain also...:rolleyes: Why not book an excursion at every port? You can see the best of the best if you do your research in advance. I woudl recommend though booking now if your going to. We are going to AK in Sept. 08, we have booked Captain Davey and have talked to him several times on the phone. He sounds like a very nice caring person and he has been very highly recommended on CC and other sites.

I have found that having plans for every port saves time trying to figure out what to do thus wasting valuable time, plus making your reservations in advance you can get the best of the best of excursions.

I am an older person so I have to be careful with my money. I can't afford the pricey tours so many folks go for, but I have plenty of fun. I book the cheapest cabins I can get to make my money go further.

I don't want to run a schedule when on vacation. Sometimes I prefer to just go for a walk.

I have walked over a lot of Alaska and have a lot more to do. I know Alaska well enough that I don't need a paid talker to amuse me.

If others want to tour at every port stop, that is their business.

I just hate to see people make a job out of a vacation.

If you see an old woman walking alone in Alaska, call my name as she could be me!

NancyIL, yes, very good point. Lived there, left for love and plan to return for retirement.

I put off doing some things in Alaska because I thought there would always be time only to find out that age has caught up with me.

Independent old cuss that I am, I can't stand organized tours unless there is no other way to get some where.

One of the nicest afternoons I've had in Alaska was telling yarns with an old woman who had driven up the AL-CAN highway by all along except for her poodle.

Decided one day just to do it and did!

I treated her to a meal and got the story.

But to get to the point of this topic. I won't pay to see bears as they turn up about anywhere in Alaska I go for a walk.

Want to see bears for free...follow me!

Penny,

We book the cheapest cabins always, that saves money and leaves that extra money for other things. This will be our first time to AK, don't know if it will be the last it all depends how much we enjoy oursleves. All of our friends always book those balcony cabins which I'm sure are nice but IMO not worth the extra money.

I'm a warm weather gal and love the Caribbean but DH wanted to go to AK before we get to old :p .

We are getting a blizzard as I speak now in Indiana:eek: , 40 mile an hour winds and will end up with 12-15 inches of snow by this time tomorrow.

We did the walk around Sitka thing the first year. We went to the aquarium at the college, totem park, raptor center, and various sites in town.

The second year we went with Davey.

If I had to make a choice between the two, I'd go with Davey. We had a wonderful time. We saw whales, seals, otters, starfish, bald eagles, puffins, muir, cormorants, etc. We absolutely LOVED it! Call now if you are interested--his tours are popular.

We did like walking around Sitka--it is my favorite port. It's just that when on vacation, I want to see and do as much as I can. I don't want to relax. I love exploring. So if this is a description of you, go for Davey!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived