? about tipping if you don't use the dining room?

let me preface this by saying I have always tip and have no problem tipping for the service I receive. On our Legend cruise coming up in Sept we asked NOT to have a seating assignment in the main dining because my parents who are traveling with us do not enjoy it. We were told by our TA and by RCCL that we had no choice but to have a seating time assigned. Given that I have expressed that I don't want a seating assignment I do not feel an obligation to tip for something I'm not using. I do plan to leave a tip nightly for the waiter(s) that assist us in the windjammer

Diane

Explorer of the Sea 12/5/04

Legend of the Sea 9/12/04

Voyager of the Sea 8/24/03

Sovereign of the Sea 07/01

Originally posted by lahore:

We are Australian and have only been on one cruise before..... I think people who say things like - as above - 'you should be ashamed of youself' are overly judgemental and somewhat sanctimonious.

Hmmmm, guess that would be ME to whom you refer. However, I am neither 'overly judgmental' nor 'sanctimonious' - BUT that's beside the point.

You said it yourself - about Australians having different views on tipping. I think it boils down to "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." If you are on a cruise, and the NORM is their system of tipping, using their guidelines, then that's what you should do. Simple. G'day.

"Laissez les bon temps rouler!"

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

Ah yes, but you see Cotton, Cruise ships are in international waters, and have a crew and passenger cohort from many different nations. Ergo: American tipping customs are not those of the world - globalisation and all that.

australia_gs_e0.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;12;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Ah, but...cruise ships as a whole choose to use the American way of tipping. icon_wink.gif Don't you feel even slightly in the minority on this subject?

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

Whether or not I am a minority is not the point: but then we get into the whole minefield of the meaning of globalisation - and you have seen what that means in the world today (eg; apart from out and out war - the resentment over world bank activities etc.). Global diversity, in my view, means OPTIONS and mutual respect, not that we all have to adhere to one way (eg; the American way). Without overly stressing what are some very sensitive global issues at the moment - this outdated imperialist 'might is right' attitude should give cause for some reflection given the current state of the world. I can assure you - with the greatest respect for your country - that nevertheless there are many millions of people in the world who do not agree that the American way is the only way.

australia_gs_e0.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;12;12;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I'd like to suggest that we agree to disagree. icon_smile.gif

BTW, I've been to Australia and New Zealand - loved being there, and never complained about the 'differences', as I tend to adhere to the "When in Rome" theory.

You have a wonderful day.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

Glad you enjoyed our country Cotton, as I am sure I will enjoy yours icon_smile.gif. I have absolutely no problem with intercultural sensitivity (or 'when in Rome...'), indeed I think cultural relativity is to be admired. My main point was that an international cruise ship is not beholding to any one national culture. Am happy to agree to disagree though. I am happy to let you go your way as long as that is reciprocated - which really was the point I was making in regard to tipping.

australia_gs_e0.gif

Ah, but...cruise ships as a whole choose to use the American way of tipping. icon_wink.gif Don't you feel even slightly in the minority on this subject?

I'm also Australian and feel the same way about tipping as my fellow Aussie - you tip for service - isn't that the whole idea? I'm not sure how the concept of tipping got so warped.

Aren’t most cruise ships European. And they sail from Australia, Asia, Europe, etc. not just out of the US. Most Europeans also do not have the tipping culture. I think it is mainly a US thing.

I did a Star cruise (NCL) out of Singapore a few years ago and tipping was discouraged - we did however tip a few people who gave great service.

I understand, based mainly on the forums that tipping is expected on most cruise lines and how much. But I think if the service is poor the tip should be reduced and if it is really good and beyond expectation then pay more. I'm for paying to the person rather than pre-paid so that it is a thankyou to the people who made the trip extra special.

Hi, Cotton, :)

The great preponderance of ships sail for America's Greatest Cruise Lines, owned by Carnival. I don't know which other country ships these Aussies were on; however, on the Star Princess, we walked on the right (because that is the custom). When we were off the ship, we walked on the Left, as is the custom. ;)

On the ship, I tipped the Spa Technicians in AUD or NZD so that they could spend it easier. I tipped Room Service in USD.

While in NZ and Oz, I tipped the cab drivers and waiters, and they not only gladly accepted tips, they DO act like it is expected. :eek:

I guess the Service Industry has been globalized.

We've skipped the main dining room some nights but given the full tip BUT... if you've never used the service or met the server, why would you give that person a tip? There's no common sense in that. I would leave the auto tip in place, if I'd received good service elsewhere. The OP DID tip dining staff, the dining staff who gave them actual service. I wonder how many people stiff the room service workers or are very stingy with them, especially since cruiselines tout free room service as an amenity?

It wouldn't matter if you did tell them in advance you wouldn't be using your seating, because there are only so many people a ship will hold. It's not like they can go rustle up some more people to fill those seats. Yes, they could try to distribute passengers so that server isn't negatively impacted. My suggestion is to tell the Maitre D' right after you board and express that concern. He's the one who arranges all that, after all.

You wouldn't leave auto-tip in place if your waiter did a poor job, so why would you if other eating facilities did so poorly? I may be from the U.S., but I'm with the Aussies on this.

(If a cruiseline is headquartered in the U.S., wouldn't you expect the shipboard customs to be U.S. rather than European? Claiming globalization smacks of an excuse not to "Do as the Romans".) Sorry, but I feel controversial tonight and am not keeping my mouth in control.

For those of you that have complained about the food, I would suggest that you try Crystal. Have any of you had a waiter pick up your tray at the buffet and find you a seat? Try Crystal.

We have traveled on all of the larger lines and still come backto Crystal. They charge more ( watch for the specials) but you will not have to comkplain about the food.

I do not like the adding of tips. The service declined greatly when the larger lines started this.

Lahore,

Chances are, the tips you gave in cash to the staff were pooled and shared anyway, so removing the autotips in favor of tipping the crew individually probably made no difference. Six of one, half dozen of the other....

I absolutely understand how tipping is often a cultural thing. During my recent cruise in Aus and NZ (loved every minute of it, BTW), we didn't know what to do most of the time. We're used to tipping 15-20% for good service, so we usually stuck with 10-15%. It seemed outrageous to not tip at all for a great meal or tour. Nobody ever refused a tip, that's for sure!!!

That being said, a cruise ship is like its own little eco-system, with its own guidelines (I hesitate to use the word "rules"), and unless you get really bad service, I am in favor of tipping at least the recommended amount.

T

Flintstone,

I agree with you. We leave the tips on the account. Then we tip additionally to people who gave us special service.

On our cruise last week, (Grand Princess - Baltics) we gave additional tips to the waiter, busser and maitre'd in the dining room. Though we dined in the Personal Choice dining room, we had the same table almost every night and these people went out of their way to make us happy. We saw many people in the PC dining room hand out tips the last night. (btw, we often give it on the 1st or 2nd night, after all, TIPS means To Insure Prompt Service)

We usually tip our room steward extra too, but in this case, he really wasn't very good. We left his tip on the account, just didn't give him any extra. We have room service breakfast daily and of course, tip the delivery person in cash everyday. With the soda stickers, we didn't tip everytime we had a glass, however, if we sat at a bar table for awhile sipping and getting refills, we gave the server a couple of dollars when we left. They appreciated it.

I really don't think tipping it optional and think it's very wrong to take off the tips on the account (or not tip the suggested amount if done the traditonal way). Whether you like the system or not, tipping is a huge part of these people's salaries and the cruiselines pay them very little. Anyone who's had *anything* to eat or drink on a ship has "used" the services of these hard working people. If you didn't like the quality of the food, that's not their fault. These people work their butts off. Don't spend thousands on your holiday and then stiff the little guy who makes it happen!

I agree that our tipping system could use some revamping; however, it's not likely to happen soon. As for American customs or globilization, I don't think it matters -- the proper thing is to follow the instructions set forth by your cruise line.

If I were not going to use the dining room at all, I would inform guest services (or maybe the head waiter?) that I wouldn't be eating there. That way they'd be able to assign my spaces to another family, and no one would sit around waiting for me. If I did that, I would not feel obligated to tip at the end of the cruise (but would tip on a meal-by-meal basis at the buffet). If I just failed to show up, I think it'd be right to tip.

My husband HATES the automatic tipping system so much that he will not entertain the idea of cruising with any ship that uses it. Yes, that's a bit irrational, but the system does seem wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the 'auto-tip' or pre-pay tipping that is now being offered. On my first cruise, RCCL, the service was so extraordinary (we did have a suite) that we doubled the reccommended tips. The best of the staff seems to serve those in the higher cabin categories. AND they practically work for tips... can you imagine always being ON, smiling, catering to one's every whim... 7 days a week for months at a time? Pre-paid tips save me money... but, those who exceed expectations deserve extra. As for NOT tipping? I hope those who don't tip don't make the staff wait around at their cabin door, waiting for them to leave, so the room can be made up before taking their middle of the day break. In the last 7 years, service levels have dropped with the cruise prices. You get what you pay for. Would I feel obligated to tip someone who never refilled my drink when asked or never left clean towels? Nope. But, at the same time, the cabin steward who folds towels in animal shapes & the waiter who refills my drinks without asking or supplies my favorite condiments, again without being reminded...deserves to be tipped above & beyond.

Archived