Vancouver Hotel Recommendation

Hogladyrider

Booked my first cruise to Alaska for May 2009. Will be arriving the day before departure and I am looking for a hotel recommendation that is fairly close to the port.

I will be cruising with my 80 year old mom, who is more like 60.

Also looking for a recommendation on whether we should fly into Seattle and get a train or bus into Vancouver or fly directly into Vancouver?

We will be booking our own air and we will be flying out of Orange County, California.

Thanks in advance.

Susan

As to airfares, regrettably it is cheaper to fly to Seattle then it is to Vancouver primarily because you get an additional level of fees charged by the CDN government in addition to those you are paying the US government. You can get a shuttle from Seatac that will bring you to Vancouver, here is the link a link to the shuttle service. http://www.quickcoach.com/ You can also take an Amtrak train that operates once a day each way between the cities; Amtrak also operates a bus service. The third alternative is to rent a car and drop it in Vancouver, because there is so much demand for this, you should not experience a drop charge. The travelling between the 2 cities is about 3 hrs but you have to plan on waits at the border of 2 to 3 hrs in either direction, less by shuttle or bus because they use a dedicated lane at the border. So you have to measure all of that against flying direct into Vancouver. But thousands do the fly and drive thing each cruise season.

As to hotels, why don’t you try this thread, there are several us who try to help people with their hotel choices but it is always a help if we know peoples budget tolerances. Summer rates in the downtown area will be likely over $200 but you should be able to do a tad better in May. Hotels out of the core will start at about $125. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723387

It is fairly inexpensive to fly from LAX to Vancouver (Don't know about orange county). I got a multi citi LAX to Vancouver and SEA to Long Beach for about $300 (flying in on the 21st) for 6/22 Alaska cruise out of Vancouver (Northbound on HAL). And then I bought a one way ticket from Anchorage to Seattle. It was cheaper to buy one way ticket from Anchorage to Seattle and then continue my trip back home from Seattle. I saved close to 450 dollars by doing this.

Best Western Downtown is about 150 Canadian Dollars. I have stayed there before (not for a cruise), it is pretty nice and pretty close to the port (I think about 5-10 minutes).

Airfares to Seattle will probably be lower than to Vancouver, but you will also have additional hassles and expenses to get to Vancouver. To take Amtrak to Vancouver requires an overnight in Seattle, unless Amtrak adds an afternoon or evening train.

There are lots of very nice hotels in downtown Vancouver, and all have big city pricetags. Funny thing is - at least those tend to be 4* hotels. You can pay the same for a Holiday Inn Express in Anchorage or Seward as you'd pay for a Westin or a Marriott in Vancouver! We've stayed at the Westin Bayshore twice. Very nice hotel, great location, over $200/night.

Archived