Highland Voyages 'Eala Bhan'.

Has anyone heard of, or experienced the Highland Voyages 'Eala Bhan'? She is a 50 ton (yes, FIFTY TON) converted traditional Scottish herring drifter, doing short cruises on the Caledonian Canal, Loch Ness & the Scottish coast, with her compliment of 12 passengers. The 'cruise experience' seems somewhat basic but the prices seem not bad for a small boat cruise.

We are thinking of doing a trip on her soon after going on the QM2. Well, 150,000 tons to 50 tons! I always did like a bit of contrast!:)

See: www.highlandcruises.co.uk

Graham.

• 2 weeks later...

We were married on the Eala Bhan in November. The crew was great as was the food. She is a beautiful ship. We didn't do a bunch of sailing since it was just about 4 to 5 hours on her but it was great.

Wow! These Cruise Critic boards are amazing. There was no response to my post for weeks & then you come on, NDBoat & tell me that you were married on the Eala Bhan! Amazing!!!:D

It was your very first post too. Thank you. My first post was on the Cunard board & they jumped all over me! I think things are a bit quieter in this nice backwater.

The Eala Bhan is a traditional herring drifter, built in Peterhead. Being from the North East of Scotland myself, I am quite keen to sail on her. We may try a short trip on Loch Ness next year.

In the pictures, I thought that the cabins looked more like saunas than cabins.:D

Graham.

I couldn't remember my old login from when I was on here after my Carnival cruise so I thought I would just do another login name since it's been a while. The cabins are very small. If you want a better look at her, check out: http://www.ealabhan.com/ And then if you really like her, just go ahead and buy her! My husband joked about doing that.

Sorry to see that she is up for sale. I hope that she does not go out of service anytime soon (at least till after I get a chance to sail on her!).

It is not often that you get the chance to buy the place where you got married, so I think that you should go for it!:)

Graham.

• 11 months later...

spent 2 nights on this vessel as a b and b in November 2007- great fun - cabins are small but who cares - ger out on deck thats where it all happens! Iaian looked after us pretty well! would loved to have cruised somewhere - made a promise to do so- but then found out she was up for sale- now again it seems the Eala Bhan has been withdrawn from sale - so maybe will ger the chance again to cruise up Loch Ness in beautiful Scotland. Australia is a long way from there but it is worht every hour spent on that very long flight.

Not much, but yes i have definitely heard about it, one of friend had used it for his marriage. i have seen the pictures and friend had told me about the five comfy cabins, which are centrally heated, in single bunks. he had told me that it cannot accommodate too many, just 10-12 at a time... but it is little cramped inside, this is what he felt.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have 2 suggestions, having done both. One is the Hebridean Princess, you can check their website. The other is a cruise on the Caledonian Canal from Inverness to Fort Agustus on a luxury barge.

I have stories written on both of them, and would be happy to send them to you.

My e-mail is: highlandpark@mindspring.com

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived