Experienced Diver Question.....

anytimeuwnt

My wife and I are going to buy the ScubaPro Crystal Vu mask. Do we want the Purge or Non-Purge model? We will be snorkeling exclusively.

After visiting our local dive shop we decided on this mask because of it's great panoramic viewing and it's sturdy construction.

Please Help Me....

Thanks in advance!!!!!! :D

I'm suprised the dive shop didn't give you better direction. In diving, it is simply a matter of personal preference. I use a purge mask and my best friend who is a PADI instructor uses a non-purge. In my experience, if you are only snorkeling and don't plan to take up diving in the future, I would go with a non-purge. In useing a snorkel, you need to purge the snorkel as you surface. For beginners, having the nose sealed helps to learn this technique. I understand most cruise snorkel trips that most don't go under water making either mask the same to use. Purge masks usually cost more and if you want simplicity, stick with the non-purge. Don't forget the anti-fog. It is really needed for a clear view.

John

I agree, I'd go for the non-purge mask for snorkeling. As divers, both my DH and I prefer the non-purge masks mostly because it's one less thing to potentially go wrong. I know 2 other divers who, on separate trips, had their masks get damaged causing the purge valve to begin leaking.

Regardless of which you choose to purchase, don't forget to clean your masks thoroughly with paste toothpaste when you get them home to remove the factory film. Whether you purchase commercial defog or use a tiny drop of baby shampoo, make sure you have something to defog so you'll enjoy your snorkeling more.

I personally prefer a non-purge mask for diving, and I don't know what advantage that would give you while snorkeling, if any. If you were talking snorkels, definitely get one with purge valve, and preferably a semi-dry top design. Don't go crazy for the full dry snorkel ($$), but a baffle type, such as the side-draft models are great for avoiding a huge mouthful of water icon13.gif from a rogue wave or someone splashing the surface nearby. That's my opinion, hope that's at least a little help! :)

Enjoy the snorkeling, and be safe!!

I have both purge and non purge masks and the purge mask is the easiest to use. It doesn't matter if you are snorkeling or diving. It is so much easier to just "blow a little air" through your nose to clear the mask without having to hold part of your mask or tilt your head, or any of the other methods of clearing a non purging mask.

As my personal choice I would use the purge. Down side is that most purge masks cost a little more, but they are worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have always preferred non-purge masks. Also for anti-fog, I find the old fashioned spit method works best; and it's free. :D

Sorry spit does not work as well as most of the commercial preps and if you fog you: 1 don't see well, 2. could get overly anxious and pull mask off getting face full of water and 3 don't have nearly as much fun.

500 PSI works better than spit any day of the week and on Sundays. Some people make up their own concoctions with baby shampoo and the like, but for 5-6 dollars, go get a good commercial grade defogger and don't forget to "deglaze" a new mask to get the "slime or Mfg. residue" off the lens.

• 3 weeks later...
I have always preferred non-purge masks. Also for anti-fog, I find the old fashioned spit method works best; and it's free. :D

Another 'free' anti-fog we both use is to dive with a little bit of water in your mask. Not enough to be uncomfortable or interfere with your vision--just a bit to equalize inside and outside temp and humidity. It might be a little disconcerting for new divers/snorklers but it works real well.

Kathi & Leo

Archived