Beijing Subway - anyone ever used it?

Nylsor

We will be visiting Beijing in October before boarding the Diamond Princess. Has anyone ever used the Beijing Subway? Is it easy to use? Are all the signs in Chinese or are some in English?

Thanks

Ros

We will be visiting Beijing in October before boarding the Diamond Princess. Has anyone ever used the Beijing Subway? Is it easy to use? Are all the signs in Chinese or are some in English?

Thanks

Ros

Take a taxi. You will find the Chinese subway experience quite unpleasant compared to the Tube in the UK.

Thanks

Ros

We were there at the end of October last year and found the subway very easy to use. There were machines with maps and places in English as well. We pressed where we wanted to go and put the money in and got a ticket. We travelled from Wanfujing Street to the Beijing Railway Station which was near our hotel. It is very crowded as you can imagine. As long as you are not bothered by lots of people, you should be fine. It was cheap and quick and we did several trips including one to the Temple of Heaven and back to Wangfujing Street as well. The station at Wanfujing Street had several interesting mosaics which were fascinating.

Take a taxi. You will find the Chinese subway experience quite unpleasant compared to the Tube in the UK.

We're not averse to taking a taxi but it is a National Holiday on the dates we will be in Beijing and I have read on various sites that the traffic will be horrendous - much worse than normal. I just thought that the Subway might be quicker. As for the London tube - oh dear, I travelled on it during the rush hour each day for many years and it wasn't a great experience. It is now also very expensive, but still much cheaper and quicker than taking a taxi in London.

Thanks also for your comments,montelco. Do either of you know if there is a subway station near the Pearl Market?

Ros

We're not averse to taking a taxi but it is a National Holiday on the dates we will be in Beijing and I have read on various sites that the traffic will be horrendous - much worse than normal. I just thought that the Subway might be quicker. As for the London tube - oh dear, I travelled on it during the rush hour each day for many years and it wasn't a great experience. It is now also very expensive, but still much cheaper and quicker than taking a taxi in London.

Thanks also for your comments,montelco. Do either of you know if there is a subway station near the Pearl Market?

Ros

IF you are there during Golden Week, TAKE a TAXI. The subway will be WORSE than normal. The crowds are UNBELIEVABLE any place you go during the first week in October. The traffic is ALWAYS horrible in Beijing.

And don't take a bus tour to the Great Wall. My first trip to China (stupid me) happened to co-incide EXACTLY with the holiday. I took a private car to the Great Wall (Badaling Section). So glad I did. The buses were backed up out the driveway of the parking lot. My driver told me one bus (he was talking to the driver) had been waiting for 35 minutes and he still had 6 buses in front of him. My driver zipped around the buses and I was in the parking lot before any of the tour buses. The parking lot was already full, so the buses just had to wait until there was room to park.

Be prepared for crowds like New Years Eve in Times Square. It is a total zoo-although a very polite zoo.

Ros

Not sure. We took the subway and walked to the Temple of Heaven. We could see the Pearl Market from there and we did visit a market after the Temple but am not sure what market it was. The Silk Market is definitely worth a visit. 5 floors of interesting things to see but you need to be prepared to bargain with a smile on your face! They are very persistent!! Still lots of fun if you like that sort of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

In Oct 05 we used the subway every day in Beijing. We stayed at the Courtyard Mariott, so the subway was only a block away from the hotel. The signs (and announcements on the train) are in Chinese and English. Very easy to follow subway map. I must admit we did draw quite a few stares. Generally, only locals use the subway; but we did without a problem and got to explore quite a bit. Taxis are inexpensive, but not as quick (or as cheap) as the subway sytem. Enjoy!

Archived