Change in Dining Attire?

[quote name='teresapink']I certainly agree with you...as long as we are all presentable for public viewing...
But, I have seen people in BATHING SUITS and FLIPFLOPS (males) with stretched out tee shirts in the dining room....there are more casual dining options on the ship..including room service.[/quote]

I sure hope it was not a speedo!:eek:

[quote name='MickeyB426']There's a big difference between rules and suggestions. You may WANT them to be rules, but they're not.

It has nothing to do with that the "minority" wants. That's rubbish. It's all a matter of personal interpretation.

I'd much rather RCCL enforce chair-hogging (whish IS a rule), than worry about whether someone wears a jacket to Formal Night (which is NOT a rule, but merely a "Suggestion").[/QUOTE]

See attachment

[quote name='Shipyard Cruiser']Which is the point many of us try to make.

But for some their cruise seems to depend on what everyone else is wearing.

Sort of sad when you think about it.[/quote]

On our first Transatlantic, we had late seating for dinner. I would go to the gym about 4:00 or so, and would be heading back to my cabin about the time that people were heading to the dining room- especially on the formal nights when people were going early for pictures- and I would get some of the DIRTIEST looks from people who obviously thought that I shouldn't be visible if I wasn't formally dressed. I tried to stay out of the public areas, but even in the hallways I would get dirty looks! (Maybe I just look really bad in workout clothes!)

I personally LOVE to get all dressed up for formal nights (my husband HATES it, but will go along if he has to!), but I couldn't care LESS what other people wear- as long as they are basically decent.

Why is this an issue???

(Now the chair hogs, THAT is an issue!!!)

We have never cruised so now I am really freaked out about what to wear to the main dining room!!!:confused: Will hubby and I be ok in nice short dress(actually a long one that was cut down) & suit for formal night and khaki pants/shirt (him) and nice sundress (me) for the others? Has anyone had the experience of being seated at a table with folks who did not attempt to follow the suggested dress? How did that go? Did it happen the whole week or only once? (I would think it would make it a bit uncomfortable to be disparitely dressed) Anyone know what RCI does not enforce the dress code suggestions? (I don't mean being the fashion police but not allowing shorts, swimsuits etc) I have been to many restaurants that had dress codes and seen them turn folks away who were in jeans (for example). I'm a "never been" so I really don't know what is ok/right.

[quote name='teresapink']I think I missed something a long time ago.....has RCI done away with "smart casual" in the dining room? I've heard there are only formal and casual nights now!

Thanks for any info!

Teresa[/QUOTE]

Seems like many can no longer tell the difference.

"MYOB would be good advice for quite a few folks out here." Actually, if I have to sit there and look at you, and you're in my face, it sort of becomes MB.

[quote name='cruzincurt']Seems like many can no longer tell the difference.

"MYOB would be good advice for quite a few folks out here." Actually, if I have to sit there and look at you, and you're in my face, it sort of becomes MB.[/quote]

I would never be your face because the first time you started talking about "the code" I would ask for another table. And if it was formal night I would be in my suit and tie and would ask to set with the folks in the jeans.

Bet they would be a lot more fun then taking about the dress code.

[quote name='teresapink']I think I missed something a long time ago.....has RCI done away with "smart casual" in the dining room? I've heard there are only formal and casual nights now!

Thanks for any info!

Teresa[/quote]

You mean people beside me actually follow the dressing guidelines?? I'm impressed. BTW, casual doesn't mean jeans in my book. Don't man to offend anyone, sorry..:)

[quote=Kesaelcele's gramma;13728931]On our first Transatlantic, we had late seating for dinner. I would go to the gym about 4:00 or so, and would be heading back to my cabin about the time that people were heading to the dining room- especially on the formal nights when people were going early for pictures- and I would get some of the DIRTIEST looks from people who obviously thought that I shouldn't be visible if I wasn't formally dressed. I tried to stay out of the public areas, but even in the hallways I would get dirty looks! (Maybe I just look really bad in workout clothes!)

Why is this an issue???

(Now the chair hogs, THAT is an issue!!!)[/quote]

As soon as our early dinner is over I'm changed back into shorts and sandals. I've never noticed any dirty looks, and would never stay out of public area's just to avoid any fashion snobs that might be offended in their petty minds.

As usual people are getting all worked up on a thread about dining attire. It never ceases to amaze me. Thread after thread after thread.....:rolleyes:

I went to the main dining room every night on Liberty recently WITHOUT A TIE. Will do so again on Independence. Horrors!!!!!!:D

[quote name='Ohunion Cruzers']See attachment[/QUOTE]

Oy.

First of all, the attachment was way too small to read, but it's apparent it came from the "what to pack" sheet. However, your "commentary" on the side was clear as day.

Secondly, you write [I]"No SUGGESTION here"[/I] next to the title, "Dinner Attire"? What, now a TITLE is a RULE?

And then...

[I]"These are some ideas of what you are supposed to wear, to keep from embarassing yourself"[/I]
Are you serious? Geez. :rolleyes:

Again, because I obviously didn't make myself clear the first time, there are rules (which I follow), and suggestions (which I take as suggestions and may or may not follow). I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

This is all too funny considering I dress quite well for dinner.

Originally Posted by andrea63
I sure hope it was not a speedo!
[quote name='teresapink']Thank goodness no! Oh boy that would have been funny!
T[/QUOTE]

Would probably help me to not gain too much weight as my appetite would have been zilch!!! Also, really hard to get that image out of my mind! LOL

Archived