Which side of the island is rough?

Abberboo

Hi everyone, I have been on this board searching for the answer to this but I cant find a thread about it.

I have been to the Dominican Republic once and am going again and I remember we went to Bayahibe and I remember the water being very rough. Are there any experts or people that have been to the Dominican Republic that can tell me which sides of the island, (west, east, south etc) are the calm ocean sides and which sides are rough? I remember the beach we went to in Bayahibe was very rough water.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this for me.

Hi everyone, I have been on this board searching for the answer to this but I cant find a thread about it.

I have been to the Dominican Republic once and am going again and I remember we went to Bayahibe and I remember the water being very rough. Are there any experts or people that have been to the Dominican Republic that can tell me which sides of the island, (west, east, south etc) are the calm ocean sides and which sides are rough? I remember the beach we went to in Bayahibe was very rough water.

Thanks to anyone who can shed light on this for me.

Hi,

I've been to the DR four times now, once on a cruise and three times on land vacations. I've been to most of the major beaches on the north and east coasts (Luperon, Puerto Plata, Sosua, Playa Grande, Cayo Levantado, Bavaro, and a few others). My take on this, is that one area of the island isn't exceptionally better than others for rough waves. The winds, tide and reefs off the shore all play a factor as to how rough it may be (and probably a few other things I missed). If you want my opinion, I would say Bavaro beach in Punta Cana would a good choice. It has a reef a couple hundred yards off shore that pretty much keeps things smooth. But.... on windy days, it can still get a bit choppy. We stayed at the Grand Bahia Principe, and the beach location was excellent. The sand is white and water is clear.

Check out the link below for some photos I took last year at Punta Cana and and a couple of other beaches in the area.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/557848209eezuYR

hova

Archived