Upgrade question

crimmper

Do you think you will take advantage of the concierge and Butler service? Will you be spending alot of time in your cabin that you will want the extra space? For an Alaska cruise you would really enjoy the views as I think the AC are the cabins at the bow. If money is no concern I'd take it for the AK cruise. I'am not really ansewering your question as only you can decide if the $$$$ is too much or not!

Whatever you do, you'll love the Alaska cruise on the Pearl!:D

Retiredonthesea

On a minor point, this is usually referred to as an upsell. But same thing.

An AF is really just an oversized balcony. Nice but you do not get most of the suite benefits. The AC gets you just about everything other than what owners cabin get. You get a much larger room. Priority boarding. Pretty much always can get dinner reservations, if you are into that. Access to butler and extra room service items. Lunch and breakfast at Cagneys, etc. Most AC's are in the front of the ship, so you can sit out there and see where you are headed.

But, $200 +/- a day does add up to lots of bucks. If you have the money, go for it. If it was between spending the $1400 on the cabin vs maybe a helo tour, or seaplane tour while in Alaska, I would be very happy in the AF.

On a minor point, this is usually referred to as an upsell. But same thing.

An AF is really just an oversized balcony. Nice but you do not get most of the suite benefits. The AC gets you just about everything other than what owners cabin get. You get a much larger room. Priority boarding. Pretty much always can get dinner reservations, if you are into that. Access to butler and extra room service items. Lunch and breakfast at Cagneys, etc. Most AC's are in the front of the ship, so you can sit out there and see where you are headed.

But, $200 +/- a day does add up to lots of bucks. If you have the money, go for it. If it was between spending the $1400 on the cabin vs maybe a helo tour, or seaplane tour while in Alaska, I would be very happy in the AF.

It is a lot of money. Just had taxes done and we are getting a nice refund. Also, my DW will be celebrating her 50th B'Day while on board. I figure why not celebrate it in style.

Wow. Surprised they are doing upsells this far in advance for a July sailing. Maybe it is really an upgrade through your TA?

The difference, in the posted rates at ncl.com between an AF and AC is $1000 each, so you are getting a slight discount off that. They are showing quite a few of the ACs still available. They usually only show a max of 6 cabins, so hard to tell how many for sure.

Those bow balconies are pretty cold in Alaska. I would either ask for something else...or pay less. We were in a balcony room on the starboard near the front, and it was cold. Our friends were in a AC, and they hardly used their balcony when the ship was moving. This was last Sept., so maybe it was a bit colder. But, we did have sunny, beautiful weather the whole trip.

Whatever you decide....it's an awesome trip....have a blast!

Of course only you can decide if it's right for you. We would not take it. The AFs are not bad by any means and that $1,400 is practically another cruise (or a few really special excursions, like a helicopter over a glacier).

beachchick

Wow. Surprised they are doing upsells this far in advance for a July sailing.

I was wondering the same thing. We are sailing in June and I always read the upsells usually come right before, within a week or two.

I better start listening for that phone call. :D

As long as you can afford it, I would go for it. The only bad thing is that you will never want to cruise on a balcony again..

I have read that a lot.

I think I need to clarify my original post. When I went to the TA to pay the balance of the cruise, I asked the TA is she could think of anything that would make this cruise a memorable one. (as stated previously, my DW turns 50 on our day at sea) She suggested upgrading the cabin category. She called NCL and an AC was available (really wanted romance suite at the aft of the ship but no luck)

Anyway, sorry for giving the impression that I was offered an upgrade or upsell.

In the words of Maxwell Smart....SORRY ABOUT THAT CHIEF ! :o

So I took the AC cabin. (#10500) The original AF mini-suite we had was directly under the kids club & video arcade (#11582)

This will be our first time with access to a butler. Not really sure what services they provide.(I wish the search worked so I wouldn't have to ask)

So if anyone has info. regarding the butler I would be grateful.

Archived