Transatlantic Cruises

SusieV

Susie, for one-way international flights try www.vayama.com and www.bt-store.com. I've used both with great success. Got our seats to Barcelona at such a good price, we bought the middle seat for comfort and were able to take along another suitcase (although lugging an extra suitcase ended up being a pain). Check their prices for comparison anyway.

Susie, for one-way international flights try www.vayama.com and www.bt-store.com. I've used both with great success. Got our seats to Barcelona at such a good price, we bought the middle seat for comfort and were able to take along another suitcase (although lugging an extra suitcase ended up being a pain). Check their prices for comparison anyway.

Another good option for searching airfares is SideStep (http://www.sidestep.com). It essentially searches ALL other travel websites and search engines, including the two listed above, then compiles the results on one page. I've never found a lower fare elsewhere.

Might be worth a look.

My husband and I did the TA from Dover England to NJ this past September for our honeymoon. We were definitely the youngest couple on board (late 20's/early 30's). We found most of the activities to be geared towards an older crowd but we did have fun anyway. The ship did a good job of making us feel special.

Susie,

Below is a mini review my husband and I wrote after our Transatlantic Cruise. I just want to reiterate that the activities were geared to an older crowd: from the trivia to the music and other activities. Like I said earlier, everyone really tried to make it special for us on board. We were known as the honeymooners all over the ship. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Greetings from the honeymooners. After days of unpacking and laundry, we finally made it onto Cruise Critics. We just wanted to say that Celebrity did a wonderful job making us feel special during our time on the Constellation.

Andrew and I thought the boat was beautiful and clean as can be. We found the staff to be incredibly attentive. Our waiter Menino, was wonderful! One night he suggested we have an authentic Indian dinner. He had it specially prepared for us. It was delicious and so thoughtful of him. We enjoyed the food onboard, and our dinner at Ocean Liners was top notch.

We enjoyed the variety of entertainment on board. We loved the trivia even though we didn't know many of the answers, and we especially enjoyed listening to Perry Grant in Michael's Club. And thanks to the Newleywed Game, we enjoyed a wonderful Rasul spa treatment. We also had a relaxing time during Couples Night at the spa. It was a bargain and we got some free products at the end.

Besides the tendering issue which we all know about, and a minor snafu at the internet cafe (could the connection be any slower?) we only had one major problem right at the beginning of our trip. We had tried, through custom air, to request 2 seats together on the plane since this was our honeymoon. We were given the run-around by both Celebrity and British Airways. When we got to the airport, we found out that we were not seated together. Luckily, the supervisor at BA was able to take care of us just before boarding.

Overall, this was a wonderful honeymoon! We loved the ports (my husband went nuts over Paris) and we had plenty of rest and relaxation as well.

This was our first post on Cruise Critics. Looking forward to planning the next cruise....maybe for our first anniversary! :)

--Tara and Andrew

In terms of air, I'm wondering if it would be worth your while to check out the closest US airports, even if they're a bit away. We're on Vancouver Island and the 2 1/2 hour drive (plus 1 1/2 hour ferry trip) to Seattle is well worth it. We're doing a TA in May, Miami to Rome, and saved over $500 per person to fly out of Seattle, compared to what X offered us departing from Vancouver, and $300 pp from their Seattle flight. With 3 of us going, its well worth paying the airport parking, one night hotel on our arrival back home and the drive time.

Unfortunately, we don't own a car, so that makes things a bit tricky. It's often cheaper for us to go from Buffalo.

My husband also hates connections and is willing to pay more for a direct flight or at least fewer connections. They do make a journey so much longer!

Unfortunately, we don't own a car, so that makes things a bit tricky. It's often cheaper for us to go from Buffalo.

My husband also hates connections and is willing to pay more for a direct flight or at least fewer connections. They do make a journey so much longer!

My partner and I are in the same boat as you as far as willing to pay more for a direct flight. I don't mind connections in the sense of having to get on and off planes, however, I do view it as doubling my chances of luggage being lost :-)

I figure it is extremely hard to lose luggage when a passenger is going directly from point A to point B. When those handlers have to change that luggage from plane to plane within timeframes that are often quite short, however, it creates a great opportunity for your bags to go "sightseeing" to God knows where...

Gary, that's another reason we always go early! We got married in Las Vegas, and they lost the suitcase that had my veil and accessories in it. I couldn't carry it on because my dress was my one carryon and my husband had his own accessories. Boy was I one freaked out bride to be, two days before the wedding!

On our last cruise, the flights were direct and our bags were simply covered with some kind of yellow chalklike substance. I wondered where they had been!

My TA just told me that the $700 airfare through X doesn't allow deviations. That's bad :( He suggested going to Buffalo and flying to New York for $60ish and then going New York-Madrid-Rome for $450ish but I'm sure my husband won't want to do that (frankly, I don't either) especially since we'd have to Greyhound it to Buffalo.

I hope we can find some other option. We can't book anything nonrefundable until June at the earliest, since that's when we'll know my husband's final travel schedule for the year, but it would be nice to have some options. I thought we'd be able to fall back on X's air, but only if we're willing to arrive the day of the cruise and not see Rome. :(

My TA just told me that the $700 airfare through X doesn't allow deviations. That's bad :( He suggested going to Buffalo and flying to New York for $60ish and then going New York-Madrid-Rome for $450ish but I'm sure my husband won't want to do that (frankly, I don't either) especially since we'd have to Greyhound it to Buffalo.

I hope we can find some other option. We can't book anything nonrefundable until June at the earliest, since that's when we'll know my husband's final travel schedule for the year, but it would be nice to have some options. I thought we'd be able to fall back on X's air, but only if we're willing to arrive the day of the cruise and not see Rome. :(

Start by booking a return ticket versus a one way.

From Toronto to Rome return non-stop on AC or Alitalia is $1060.00

From Toronto to Rome return via London Heathrow on BA is $773.00

Now here is where the savings can really add up. Instead of throwing away the return ticket consider booking an eastbound transatlantic for the following year and paying $75.00 to adjust the return date unless you already know which cruise you would be going back over on.

By flying through London you would actually only be paying $386.50 per person (per cruise) + whatever it takes to fly to and from the US transatlantic departure and arrival port. Its a bargain and saves a bunch of travelling and connections to fly cheaper through Buffalo. Plus you get two cruises out of the deal and two trips to Europe.

It would be nice, but this one would count as our 2009 cruise... we can't really do another one next year so we'd be throwing out half the ticket.

If I book on a European line, I'm going to start to run into those pesky luggage issues, aren't I? We're Elite status on Star Alliance so we can basically bring the kitchen sink if we want to on most of our flights. We don't like packing light.

I'm a little frustrated that this part seems so difficult. It's always been so easy to book air in the past!

I'll take the good with the bad :)

I just called my agent back and found out that we can use Celebrity air at the promo price if we book a precruise hotel. I've booked it for the time being since I can drop it at any time before final payment. Ouch, hotels in Rome are expensive! We're currently booked for 2 nights at the Hotel Cicerone for $450/night.

I will have to check if the savings on the airfare really makes up for spending $900 on a hotel for two nights. Although I suppose the transfers are worth something too.

Ouch, hotels in Rome are expensive! We're currently booked for 2 nights at the Hotel Cicerone for $450/night.

I will have to check if the savings on the airfare really makes up for spending $900 on a hotel for two nights. Although I suppose the transfers are worth something too.

Cruise lines have a knack for greatly over-charging for hotels. I would suggest looking at other popular hotel websites. I can virtually guarantee that you could find a hotel of at least three to four stars for far less than half that rate.

Any of the major Internet hotel search engines should work fine.

I'm hoping to. I booked the air/hotel as a fallback in case I can't find decent direct or one stop air for a reasonable price.

Do the transfers have value in Rome? How much would taxis be from airport to hotel, and hotel to pier.

Do the transfers have value in Rome? How much would taxis be from airport to hotel, and hotel to pier.

My guess based on distance is that you're looking at around 40 Euros (total, not per person) to take a taxi from the airport to a hotel within the city.

I'm hoping to. I booked the air/hotel as a fallback in case I can't find decent direct or one stop air for a reasonable price.

We are considering the Nov 2009 TA on Equinox. We'd like to fly in a day or maybe 2 before.

Q. What is the preferred mode of transit from Rome to the ship.

Q. I assume with 4 people and luggage it may be better to take the train from the airport to the City or is there a "van" service?

Q. Any idea on a reasonably priced hotel - Doesn't have to be 5 star

We are thinking about Equinox Transatlantic for 2009. I haven't found any info- only that there will be one! Any thoughts?

A couple of things that concern me - I looked at airfare jfk - fco Non Stop on Delta and fll - lga If you look at round trip it is more expensive ($2100) than the cruise. However if you fly Iberia from JFK - Madrid and Madrid to Rome it is like $343 layover is not too bad and $89 from FLL to LGA - if it turns out that is the way to go - ( granted I had to fudge dates since we cant get a quote 18 months out).

Second - there is a Shorex in Palma de Mallorca which includes a train ride to Soller - not a cheap deal but something we would like to do. However - shorex is listed as 8+ hours and we are going to be in port only 6 hrs -

I am guessing this shorex is only for cruises that spend more time in port.

Dan & Suzie

How did you get the little flashing icons (i.e., married to bridge bum, aft cabin snob, etc)? They are very cute.

Shirley

A couple of things that concern me - I looked at airfare jfk - fco Non Stop on Delta and fll - lga If you look at round trip it is more expensive ($2100) than the cruise. However if you fly Iberia from JFK - Madrid and Madrid to Rome it is like $343 layover is not too bad and $89 from FLL to LGA - if it turns out that is the way to go - ( granted I had to fudge dates since we cant get a quote 18 months out).

Second - there is a Shorex in Palma de Mallorca which includes a train ride to Soller - not a cheap deal but something we would like to do. However - shorex is listed as 8+ hours and we are going to be in port only 6 hrs -

I am guessing this shorex is only for cruises that spend more time in port.

I, too, did a phantom search for airfare based on the dates for 2008 and came up with similar pricing. However, if you put in a RT fare, it's much less expensive. I found pricing in the $700 range nonstop JFK to Rome. I would just not use the return ticket.

Jo-Ann

Dan & Suzie

How did you get the little flashing icons (i.e., married to bridge bum, aft cabin snob, etc)? They are very cute.

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

My friend made them for me! I love blinkies :) You can get them made if you ask here. Please feel free to use my cruise ones if you like.

I, too, did a phantom search for airfare based on the dates for 2008 and came up with similar pricing. However, if you put in a RT fare, it's much less expensive. I found pricing in the $700 range nonstop JFK to Rome. I would just not use the return ticket.

Jo-Ann

You are correct - but yeowch - $845 including taxes for a RT and almost $2100 for OW. (delta)

Going to be interesting to see what Cruise Air from Celebrity will run

Archived