Capt Wells

Cabinboy1943

Hi All

I would just like to post my whole hearted support for Captain Wells over the sun bed issue reported in the Mail on Sunday. Just because a few precious tender little plants objected to his remarks about Germanic behaviour he had to apologise. I can well understand his frustration with greedy ignorant pax hogging sun beds and the trouble it causes.

I would suggest that he should have been congratulated by PandO and not made to say sorry. Furthermore the moronic few that complained about him should either get a humour inplant, get a life or just plain shut up.

I would hope that there are others on this forum that agree with this view and would put a post on in support of Captain Wells.

regards

cabinboy

Hi All

I would just like to post my whole hearted support for Captain Wells over the sun bed issue reported in the Mail on Sunday. Just because a few precious tender little plants objected to his remarks about Germanic behaviour he had to apologise. I can well understand his frustration with greedy ignorant pax hogging sun beds and the trouble it causes.

I would suggest that he should have been congratulated by PandO and not made to say sorry. Furthermore the moronic few that complained about him should either get a humour inplant, get a life or just plain shut up.

I would hope that there are others on this forum that agree with this view and would put a post on in support of Captain Wells.

regards

cabinboy

Hi Cabinboy

The situation is even more serious than you state. This pc person, the guardian of our moral sensibilities has reported Captain Wells to the Equality and Human Rights Commission. No doubt any enquiry would finance my cruising holidays for the rest of my life.

No doubt they who complained will be sitting at home to-day reading the Mail on Sunday and feeling very proud.

BTW having sailed with Chris Wells, he has an easy wit and is extremely well liked by both crew and passengers. When asked who decides which ship he captains he said. Well, these days its like the bus driver going down to the depot, you come back from leave and are told you are driving the number 26 this month.

Regards

Cruisebore

Hi cruisebore

I think the whole thing is a Damn disgrace. As you say, more money wasted on nothing of any consequence, and all because a few sad morons,with obviously empty lives if they have got nothing better than this to do, decided to complain. They are nothing short of pathetic.

Three cheers for the good Captain

cabinboy

Yes Three cheers for the Captain

I guess the person who made the complaint was one of the offenders. No doubt they are feeling very smug with themselves.

Hi Elaine

Oddly enough that was exactly the thought that came to my mind.

cabinboy

I think it's very sad that the Captain even had to intervene, what were these psssengers up too! Is sunbed hogging normally a serious problem? I expect P&O will introduce a policy regarding this, unless there already is one?

The lounger problem has been around for years, long before cruising really took off. Capt Wells was not out of order for his comments.

Those of you who want to see what sparked this 'Germanic' thing off, watch this video...It is the Carling Black Label lager advert, a Brit outfoxing German tourists at a hotel racing to get the best lounger by the pool...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDgpjfc7MJU

I think it is hillarious because it is so true to real life. Those on Oceana who complained take life way too seriously.

I'm reminded of an old British air pilots joke...

Picture the scene. Gatwick airport, 7am, and foggy. The following is a transcript from the Air Traffic Control tower frequency.

Lufthansa 42 : "Gatwick Tower, Lufthansa 42 ready for departure, request pushback and engine start"

Tower : "Lufthansa 42, negative. 30 minute delay"

Lufthansa 42 : "Gatwick Tower, what is the reason for our delay?"

Tower : "Lufthansa 42, reduced visibility operation in effect"

Lufthansa 42 : "Gatwick Tower, that is unacceptable! We will be late at our destination!!!"

Unknown British Pilot : "What's the matter, Lufty old boy? Did you forget to leave your towel on the runway?"

We were on the Oceana over Christmas and the sunbed problem was dire! People leaving stuff draped over 3 or 4 at at time for hours on end. Grown men actually squaring up to each other and we heard that sunbeds had even been thrown overboard in a fight! Awful.

I was very happy when Capt. Wells & the cruise director frequently made comments about reserving sunbeds over the tannoy system (didn`t hear the Germanic one).

He was the best captain we have ever sailed with, keeping us well informed with humourous titbits throughout the day. We used to open the cabin door to listen to him when we were in the room - not to miss anything!

To hear that he has been reported for this comment is just ridiculous!

He is a gracious, friendly and very capable captain, trying to look after his passengers. I hear that he is now on QM2 - good on him!!

Well I think it is a poor sign of leading the ship if he has to refrain to insulting. And it is nothing short of insulting if he uses a cliché of a nation to try to get grip of a situation which he apperently has lost control of. Now if a captain had done something like this using a cliché of the british these boards would be screaming with revenge! A good thing he has been reported and if a captain displays such a poor grip of the problems on his ship I would think twice about giving him another command.

:mad:

Disclaimer: I am not the person who complained and I am proud not be German or from Germany!

Well I think it is a poor sign of leading the ship if he has to refrain to insulting. And it is nothing short of insulting if he uses a cliché of a nation to try to get grip of a situation which he apperently has lost control of. Now if a captain had done something like this using a cliché of the british these boards would be screaming with revenge! A good thing he has been reported and if a captain displays such a poor grip of the problems on his ship I would think twice about giving him another command.

Disclaimer: I am not the person who complained and I am proud not be German or from Germany!

I assume you meant to say "resort to insulting". To blame the captain for the actions of ignorant, selfish and greedy pax by saying he had lost control is absolute nonsense. I can well understand his frustration on behalf of pax that do play fair with sun beds as repeated polite requests were ignored.

The fact that he has been given command of the Queen Mary 2 is testament to his abilities.

I remember some years ago playing shuffle board on the Adonia. This was on the prom deck. With all the deck at their disposal there were those that put deck chairs right by the court despite requests not to do so. even when asked they refused to move, pure ignorance.

I very much doubt that these boards would have been "screaming with revenge" if the British had been the butt of his remarks. Maybe one or two sensitive souls would have got up on their hinds legs to complain but they would have been in a tiny minority.

With some obvious exceptions that have had surgery to remove any sense of humour they may have had, the British are still able to laugh at themselves as has always been the case.

I would put those few that complained in the same category as the type that watch a TV program they know they will not like just so they can phone up to complain.

I imagine it gives them a feeling of importance in their sad little lives. This is all too evident in spurious court cases for compensation. He called me a nasty name. because of that I am now suffering from stress, my wife has left me, I have lost my job. my house, and my condition with ingrowing toenails has reached crisis point. It is enough to make you weep.

Perhaps someone should start a campaign for the restoration of common sense, it is certainly long overdue.

In the meantime, Bravo Captain Wells and may your critics be condemned to dreams of a fruitless search for a sun bed forever. So There.

cabinboy

Well I think it is a poor sign of leading the ship if he has to refrain to insulting. And it is nothing short of insulting if he uses a cliché of a nation to try to get grip of a situation which he apperently has lost control of. :mad:

This has been a standard joke for donkey's years never come across a German who found it offensive. As to the Captain losing control, he was actually trying to diffuse the situation with humour.

Did you not learn about jokes? It was a joke simple as that, and if anyone can be offended by that sort of Joke just move to somewhere like Zimbabwe where freedom of speech is always very high the agenda.

If he had used a cliché of the British we would be fine "Us British can take a Joke"!!!! chill out. I am sure most Germans would get it as well I always have a laugh we my German cruisers. I am sure its the same with the French when they call is Roast beefs!!! It part of life cheer up if might never happen :D

"Poor grip of problems!!!!!" He used humour have you not heard of that??

Hi All

After the discussion on humour and Capt Wells I could not resist the temptation to post this fine example of the English sense of humour before the P C nutters were let out of the asylum. Wonderful stuff. :):):)

regards

cabinboy

Hi All

regards

cabinboy

Hi Cabinboy,

I would also like to give Captain Wells all my support, I created a thread on crowsnestonline.net about the "Sunworshipper are at it again".

My Daughter and her family were on Oceana Christmas and the New Year

cruise an the problem of the Sunbeds occured then, It als occured on

Arcadia in the New year on our cruise. From the replies I received on this subject it was obvious that I had ruffled a few feathers, I think some of

these people think they have a God given right to place their possesions

including towels and of course "books that read by there selves"

Regards

rockin daddy

It amazes me that the Captain got into trouble for making this remark. If a comedian had said the same thing in the ships theatre would he have been in trouble too?

I mean look at Allo Allo, that was based on French, German and British stereotypes and is still shown on TV today.

Its political correctness gone mad!

"these people think they have a God given right to place their possesions

including towels and of course "books that read by there selves" Quote

Hi Rockin Daddy

The quote from your post is quite correct. These people are one of two things,completely stupid or completely ignorant. They are probably the ones that park in disabled parking spaces or take up two bays. Take their dogs for a walk and allow them to foul pavements and play areas. Let their children run riot with no word of censure. On cruises you will find them occupying tables in the self service area long after they have finished despite seeing others walking round with trays of food looking for somewhere to sit. Reserving a large number of seats in the theatre for others of their ilk.

If they are non smokers they will sit in a smoking area and complain when someone lights up. If they smoke they will light up in non smoking areas.It goes without saying that they must always take precedence at a bar.

As polite requests appear to have no affect on these morons perhaps more draconian measures should be employed. I can think of quite a few.

regards

cabinboy

Hi everyone

I was on the Christmas & New Year Cruise on Oceana with Captain Wells (Hi Taf, thanks for the pictures....missing you:( !). I too agree that it was an awful situation trying to get a bed on a sea day, but Captain Wells did make regular appeals to us using humour to be considerate to our fellow passengers. One day he told us that his son was on the cruise and he was reading the 'waterbabies' book (I think!!), he explained that there was a character in the book called 'Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby', He told people to think about the sunbeds and to remember that character, which we all found funny, and we felt like the Captain was definately on our side, as we never managed to get beds!

I don't know how these people dare reserve sunbeds especially when they are told it is not allowed. We had it on Black Watch summer 2006, my husband and I laid towels on the deck as there were no empty beds, plenty of reserved ones mind you! Nobody offered us a bed, even though it was obviously really uncomfortable, with all those reserved beds I don't know how people can be so selfish? Like Cabinboy has said, there must be different types of people.

THREE CHEERS FOR CAPTAIN WELLS!!!

From Flea B x

PS... Hello Rockin' Daddy too x x x

Hi everyone

I was on the Christmas & New Year Cruise on Oceana with Captain Wells (Hi Taf, thanks for the pictures....missing you:( !). I too agree that it was an awful situation trying to get a bed on a sea day, but Captain Wells did make regular appeals to us using humour to be considerate to our fellow passengers. One day he told us that his son was on the cruise and he was reading the 'waterbabies' book (I think!!), he explained that there was a character in the book called 'Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby', He told people to think about the sunbeds and to remember that character, which we all found funny, and we felt like the Captain was definately on our side, as we never managed to get beds!

I don't know how these people dare reserve sunbeds especially when they are told it is not allowed. We had it on Black Watch summer 2006, my husband and I laid towels on the deck as there were no empty beds, plenty of reserved ones mind you! Nobody offered us a bed, even though it was obviously really uncomfortable, with all those reserved beds I don't know how people can be so selfish? Like Cabinboy has said, there must be different types of people.

THREE CHEERS FOR CAPTAIN WELLS!!!

From Flea B x

PS... Hello Rockin' Daddy too x x x

Good morning Flea B. Well said. you won't change them to b....y selfish.

read my latest.

rockin daddy

Archived