Botflies??

Ladymom30

Okay I need a bit of comfort here... Has anyone got a botfly while cave-tubing? We are going in two weeks and I just saw that image of the girl with the botfly coming out of her head. Help!! Any way to prevent this?

Hi Driftwood,

I noticed you are on alot of the Belize posts I have been reading. Do you spend a lot of time there? Would you be concerned about Malaria and Botflies? I emailed Major Tom and he said there are not alot of mosquitoes on this cave tubing trip, could it be the time of year? Thanks for you input.

You are right, I have made quite a nuisance of myself on the Belize Board--we were in Belize for a total of two weeks January 5-19th, 2008. I had a number of questions myself last year when we were planning for our January 2008 visit, and many questions went unanswered, and much that I later discovered to have been erroneous information was fielded because, I think, of the short time most cruisers are in Belize City and the carelessness of observation--and perhaps the workings of overactive imaginations. So while were were there we did a number of the activities which are inquired about on the Boards, we interviewed a number of people, for months prior to and for the two week visit we tried to educate ourselves about the country, its history, its flora and fauna; and we tried to assess (as we are fairly frequent cruisers ourselves) how particular situations would impact those who were visiting the country for only a few hours. While we were there we kept our eyes and ears open; and since our return I have tried to share those things I was able to learn or observe firsthand.

Obviously natives, as Major Tom, are much better informed sources of information; but if they are "interested parties" and have businesses which deal directly with cruise passengers, as he does, they are banned from posting on the Boards. A sort of Catch-22. Major Tom is quite correct in saying that mosquitoes are NOT a major problem either in Belize City (where he lives with his own family) or at the location where ziplining and cave tubing takes place. I suspect that is true for any time of year; but we were there only in January. The river that passes through the caves--besides being a little cooler than the water that is in Belizean lakes or ponds, which is more subject to direct sunlight--is moving along at a fair clip for a mosquito, which is a slow flier at best, and is consequently not a particularly attractive venue for mosquito breeding purposes. The other good news is that most doctors seem to agree that even single bites of an infected mosquito are unlikely to produce a case of malaria; and the period of potential exposure of cruiseship passengers is so short that most risks are considered microscopic in comparison, for example, with getting run over by a truck or falling overboard during a cruise. Also, the mean Anopheles sp. mosquito which is the vector for malaria is not a species usually active in daytime--while you are on your shore excursion. It is my opinion that cave tubing is one of the safest things that one can do in Belize, and there are many survivors to bear me out. :D:D [DW and I are two of them.]

As you see, however, at least four or five in ten thousand visitors to Belize can come away with botfly larvae, which while unpleasant enough to acquire or even to contemplate, seem yet not to have proved a material hazard to human health. The vector for them is the mosquito: botflies themselves never come in contact with humans unless we have hatched them.

mwsrccl has brought up one good alternative to DEET: although I have not tested it myself, I have heard it is an effective alternative. It is a little harder to come by than Deep Woods Off!, however, which IS for sale almost everywhere in Belize, in case you forget to bring your own and are NOT allergic to it.

For a two-week visit to most of the Central parts of Belize and a day trip into Guatemala, we took a prophylactic series of physician-prescribed generic pills for malaria, one per week starting two weeks before we went to Belize and continuing for eight weeks. We also used Deep Woods Off! when we were in the field because we didn't want to be bitten by mosquitoes or any other insects, and we observed gratefully that for us that product proved wholly satisfactory: but it does contain 25% DEET, and obviously if one is allergic to DEET it cannot be used. We have no medical training, so we have left the speculation on necessary medication for those who have. We were aware of the presence of mosquitoes in almost every location we visited outside Belize City--you can hear 'em most of the time before they veer off in disgust at the smell of DEET--and in Belize City if you walk around too long in shorts (which most of the natives are wise enough NOT to do) you will PROBABLY encounter some mildly annoying tiny biting insects which seem to be smaller than gnats, and which will provide you with itchy spots which, however, seem to produce no rash or other long-term irritation. They are small--I never saw one.

Being aware of hazards where you travel is a good thing, but I sure am glad I didn't see this before I went to Belize!! I would have freaked out over every single bug.:eek: However, I didn't see or hear any bugs while on our excursion. In the caves, I would think the bats took care of a good deal of the mosquito population as well as the moving water.

I guess I can add another wrinkle to the old, gray matter now. I had no idea there were botflies that use humans as hosts. In Virginia, where I live, we are very familiar with botflies. I couldn't imagine one laying an egg on a mosquito, as their eggs are larger than lice nits. They lay their eggs on our horses legs and hope that the horses lick them, ingest them where they will go into their stomach and cause all kinds of problems. I spend a good deal of time in late summer, early fall, scraping those eggs off the hair strands with a knife.

I had waterproof/sweatproof bug lotion with me. Now I will never leave home without it. Ick!

You guys are wonderful and you have really eased my mind. I am not worried about myself, but my 12 year old son and 13 year old daugter was my reason for worrying. I am soo excited about cave tubing because everyone on the boards talk about how great it is. Just cant be too careful with my little ones (yes they are still babies to me). They told me yesterday that they would like to try and eat a termite. Yuck! They asked me if I would try one and I said no way.. there is only so much adventure for me. Eating insects just isnt my idea of fun. Okay I am going to try DEET on my son before we leave to check for reaction, then I am just going to go and have a good time and not worry. No malaria medication or new vaccines. If any of us get bot flies so be it.. I will put it in a jar and name it Mr. Belize.

At the rate people are popping termites in Belize, there should soon be none left to attack the remaining stands of mahogany! Allegedly, of course, they are sweet, which accounts for their popularity among the peoples and anteaters of the Earth. But that is one allegation I had no intention of proving for the Cruise Critic Belize Board. So on your return we will expect a full report! :D:rolleyes:;)

I wouldn't pick up any fire ants by mistake, however--the Belizean species is supposed to be significantly more impressive in irritating than the version that has invaded the United States. Here again I cannot speak from personal experience--either in Belize or in Swampland. But there have been tears from victims falling on the Boards for some time past. Another good reason to let Major Tom lead the way, I would think! :D

Archived