Need recommendation for Stringray CityTour Operator that is really good with Children

lov2cruise707

I will be going to Grand Cayman in May with my DD's 10 yrs & 16 yrs. They are not crazy about string rays. I know from experience the guide can make all the difference between a great time and disappointment. I am looking for a company that is really good with children and hopefully has a landing you can go off of the boat (mainly for the snorkeling part).

I have 2 teens (they were 18 and 14 at the time of the cruise) and we did snorkeling/stingray city/rum point tour with nativeway tours. My girls were not crazy about getting in the water with stingrays, in fact they claimed they were going to "just wait on the boat". That is until we got to the nice shallow area and saw everyone else on our boat (there were about 15 of us) getting in. We could see tourists from the ships stingray tour (which looked like a party barge with bazillions of people) and I'm glad we chose this tour. My girls had so much fun and I must say they enjoyed the snorkeling as well. For me, the visit to Rum Point was the highlight. The most beautiful beach I've ever seen. I don't remember the guys who took us on the tour, only the name of the tour which I would use again in a heartbeat. You could google them, I'm sure they have a website.

We did the Capt Bryans tour through Island Mktg. We were practically alone on the beautiful catamaran. We had tons of individual attention with stingrays and the snorkeling. My 7 year old boy was scared to death and went back to the boat but my 9 & 4 year old girl loved it. You never know. the water for snorkeling is deep so just my husband and I went out. If your kids are good swimmers they will love it. I am afaid of everything, but I have to say actually holding that stingray in my arms was amazing.

Any other questions. Please let me know.

Hi,

We went with Native Way also...we did not bring our kids...but the other couple did their kids were 8, 6, and 4. I think they did a great job with the kids. the tour guide brought the stingray as close as the kids wanted. The water was quite shallow but it did push you around a little.

Have fun!

:)

Hi,

We went with Native Way also...we did not bring our kids...but the other couple did their kids were 8, 6, and 4. I think they did a great job with the kids. the tour guide brought the stingray as close as the kids wanted. The water was quite shallow but it did push you around a little.

Have fun!

:)

I'll second the nod to Native Way for this. Our guides were encouraging but not pushy, made it so fun and knew just what to say to entice everyone into the water with the stingrays. One thing that is cool to know is that the big huge ones are the MAMAs! They are gentle and sweet, like puppies or kittens-they just rub against your lower leg like a cat would do. The very small ones are the daddys, also gentle., they all just want FOOD! But for some on our trip just knowing that the BIG HUGE ones were mommy's made it seem better to them, like how could a MOMMY ever be scary or hurtful :) Here's a pic of one of our guides with big Mama! This is a good example of how docile they are-they put up with a lot!! I do not recommend you try this!!! Sheldon obviously had a "thing" going with Big Mama and we teased him about it mercilessly!!!

SheldonandBigMamaGrandCayman.jpg

I will be going to Grand Cayman in May with my DD's 10 yrs & 16 yrs. They are not crazy about string rays. I know from experience the guide can make all the difference between a great time and disappointment. I am looking for a company that is really good with children and hopefully has a landing you can go off of the boat (mainly for the snorkeling part).

I WILL GO ON THE RECORD TO SAY THAT THE CAYMAN IN A NUTSHELL TOURS HAD THE BEST TOUR GUIDES. WE DID NOT BRING OUR KIDS BUT THERE WAS A FAMILY ON THE TOUR WITH US WITH KIDS AS YOUNG AS 3YRS OLD AND THE GUIDES HELPED THE PARENTS WITH THE KIDS AND WORKED SLOWLY WITH THOSE THAT WERE SCARED. THEY ALSO WERE VERY HELPFUL WITH PICTURE TAKING FOR YOU TO SHOW EVERYONE AT HOME.

any links to the tour guides>

Going in Oct and in our group will be 7 of us...age range 6, 11 and 13 for kids.

Native Way's website: http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

and their email address: nativway@candw.ky

Sometimes Sharon might take a day or 2 or 3 to get back to you but that's only b'c she is off making sure her guests are being treated like royalty!

Archived