straw market

realtrip

Hi, can anyone tell me what they sell here, is it like a flea market? How are the prices ? do you bargain with the vendors ?

Thanks

Sailing on Saturday ...Yippee !!!!

It is alright - in fact necessary - to bargain. You would look like a fool if you took the first price. Having said that you have to look at what you are buying. It used to be that a lot of what you bought was local, now the majority is made in China and can be bought in any tourist port in the Carib... and most likely anywhere. There is a Market area in Downtown Charleston, SC that is a tourist trap... well I do go there myself every once in a while, but at least a 1/3 of the stuff is China made and the only thing it has to do with the Lowcountry is that it was bought here.

Be careful - keep you purse close - go with a big relative and have fun.

Thanks

That's pretty much what I figured. I'm sure the kids will like it but I probably won't buy much. I wonder if they have made in US stuff in China at souvenir shops ! LOL:rolleyes:

First of all it's really big, there are lots and lots of stalls selling mostly the same things. There are lots of designer knock off purses and wallets (my sister got the cutest pink Prada bag for $25, looks great!), we got fake Rolexes (we call them Folexes) for $45 each....they wanted $80 in Cozumel and wouldn't budge. The usual tshirts, hats, local crafty things are also there. You HAVE to bargain, the bag DS got for $25 they originally wanted $60 for....just keep on saying I'm going to look around, worked for her and it was true actually she did want to look around thinking she would end up having to pay $35ish so she got a deal. Have a great time and if you've got some extra time, think about having a cold drink at Senor Frogs (practically next door) and watching the action. We'll be doing these things this coming Saturday on SOS. Have a great trip :cool:

First of all it's really big, there are lots and lots of stalls selling mostly the same things. There are lots of designer knock off purses and wallets (my sister got the cutest pink Prada bag for $25, looks great!), we got fake Rolexes (we call them Folexes) for $45 each....they wanted $80 in Cozumel and wouldn't budge. The usual tshirts, hats, local crafty things are also there. You HAVE to bargain, the bag DS got for $25 they originally wanted $60 for....just keep on saying I'm going to look around, worked for her and it was true actually she did want to look around thinking she would end up having to pay $35ish so she got a deal. Have a great time and if you've got some extra time, think about having a cold drink at Senor Frogs (practically next door) and watching the action. We'll be doing these things this coming Saturday on SOS. Have a great trip :cool:

Yeah, definitely bargain with them! I am saving up for when we go in October for the knock-off designer purses. :D

I got a CUTE Pink Chanel purse for $20 bucks last year..and it looks real.

• 3 years later...

Is there anything other than knock off purses & made in China fake crafts? Where can you find something authentic?? I've lived in Asia for a couple of years, so I've had countless opportunities to get the fake stuff. I'm looking for some real deal crafts/wood carved items if possible. Therefore, would the straw market be worth it or should I plan to do something else with my time?

Is there anything other than knock off purses & made in China fake crafts? Where can you find something authentic?? I've lived in Asia for a couple of years, so I've had countless opportunities to get the fake stuff. I'm looking for some real deal crafts/wood carved items if possible. Therefore, would the straw market be worth it or should I plan to do something else with my time?

I don't think you will find too much of this in the straw market, but I have never ventured very far as it is crowded and hot and noisy. I hat when they put a necklace or bracelet on you and think you are going to buy it...There are other stores in town other than the straw market, maybe scubagirl can give you a place that sells what you are looking for...

I don't think you will find too much of this in the straw market, but I have never ventured very far as it is crowded and hot and noisy. I hat when they put a necklace or bracelet on you and think you are going to buy it...There are other stores in town other than the straw market, maybe scubagirl can give you a place that sells what you are looking for...

If you are coming in on a weekend, Bay Street will be lined with street vendors selling bahamian crafts ( they can't get a permit unless it's authentic goods). You'll find jewelry, straw bags, paintings and photography, sea glass, pottery etc.

There are many small store up and down the plazas that sell local wares.

The nice thing about straw markets is that the vendors are locals and this is their source of income. Yes, many items are from china, but some of them offer true crafts. I've bought some great hand crafted wooden masks where the craftsperson was actually working on the item i bought.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

you can find pretty nice straw handbags, fans, and other straw items in the straw mkt. my wifegot a nice straw purse from there on a recent cruise.....pretty sturdy too. also along the waterfront we have usually seen a couple of guys painting pictures of the harbour or other scenery that are pretty neat. I always want to get one but never seem to ask how much or the details. Very pretty though.

Straw Market - ugh! Hot and smells awful! Take Scubagirl's advice and shop somewhere else if you can. Although, our boys liked it and got $5 t-shirts and faux designer watches, my DS had buyer's remorse after buying the watch. He doesn't wear it because its a fake and he feels bad about it. If you do go stay next to the end of the market right next to Senor Frogs on the waterfront so you don't have to go into the stalls as it is extremely hot and stinky if you go in further!

Straw Market - ugh! Hot and smells awful! Take Scubagirl's advice and shop somewhere else if you can. Although, our boys liked it and got $5 t-shirts and faux designer watches, my DS had buyer's remorse after buying the watch. He doesn't wear it because its a fake and he feels bad about it. If you do go stay next to the end of the market right next to Senor Frogs on the waterfront so you don't have to go into the stalls as it is extremely hot and stinky if you go in further!

I have mentioned here and in another post that I didn't like the Straw Market or Nassau in general, however, I must add that the people of Nassau are very friendly and lovely people. Except of course for the local guy that blew lunch right in front of us because he was drunk as a skunk!:eek:

If you are coming in on a weekend, Bay Street will be lined with street vendors selling bahamian crafts ( they can't get a permit unless it's authentic goods). You'll find jewelry, straw bags, paintings and photography, sea glass, pottery etc.

quote]

not on Sundays tho right????

quote]

not on Sundays tho right????

Currently its Saturday and Sunday. Don't know what the future will bring, especially when the new straw market opens. For now.. tables are lined up both days.. mainly in front of the banks (of which there are many).

Therefore, would the straw market be worth it or should I plan to do something else with my time?

i would do something else.

been there done that...i was disappointed when i first went...lots of junk and knock-off and BAD ones at that.

i was able to get some pretty pieces of conch jewelry inside the port area building.

Currently its Saturday and Sunday. Don't know what the future will bring, especially when the new straw market opens. For now.. tables are lined up both days.. mainly in front of the banks (of which there are many).

oh that would be Great if they are still doing that in December..i will check back closer to then....THANKS!!!

Archived