Buying Duty Free Booze on Panama Canal Cruise

warmwinds

We usually buy in St. Thomas, but not going there this time...which place has the lowest prices to take your duty-free allotment home...Aruba, Puntarenas CR, Acapulco or Cabo? Or the ship? We live in a state with extremely highly taxed alcohol, prices are ridiculous.

The Colon 2000 store in Panama has fantastic prices! The best I have seen anywhere. Since I am having a "senior moment" this am and we cruised there in November, I can not recall the prices. Check Ports of Call, Panama and check 'find' entering in shopping, there may be something posted there. We purchased Sapphire Gin, Drambuie and Amaretto (the largest bottle I have ever seen). The prices were so good that when I went into the ship's liquor store to have them match a price, the young man working could not believe what I was showing him. He did match it though. Enjoy!

Till Constellation Southern Caribbean 11/27/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;11;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

So, are you saying you did NOT purchase the liquor at the Colon 2000 store, but rather just brought a price sheet on board for the ship to match? I've never done that and I'm not sure how it works...

I think we can only get off the ship in Panama at night, and the port is Fuerte Amador.

Gotta Love these boards!

Thank you for the info on Colon having a duty free liquor store. Mr. Gizmo will be thrilled.

We sail tomorrow!

Warmwinds, I had already purchased some liquor on the ship and found it cheaper in Panama so, they credited the difference on my card. Stop at the ship liquor store before you go into a port and check their policy.
Gizmo, I found the old thread with a couple prices from Colon 2000...1 liter of Drambuie was $18.00 and a 1.75 Liter of Ameretto was $21.00.
I check prices before our cruise and bring them along with me when we cruise. It gives me an idea if something is a really good deal. Then I stock up on bottles that might be nice for company or gifts.
You will be told that you can only bring so many liters back but, my husband and I usually bring at least 8 bottles. When customs boards the ship they will give you an opportunity to declare what items you have over your allowance. I go in with a list and I have not been charged customs. Honesty is a good thing they have told me.
Enjoy your cruises and your shopping!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;11;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Much thanks for the info...hopefully our nighttime stop in Panama will yield some liquor stores near the dock...as we've always found, when a ship's in port, they're in business! You sound like you got some great deals. Do you think Kahlua would be cheaper if we wait until Mexico since that's where it's from, or do you think Panama for Kahlua, too?

I pick the Kahlua up in Mexico. Sometimes there are specials on it in Mexico. On one trip, two bottles came in a beach bag with a beach towel. At the time we were there, Kahlua had 2 different Kahluas, what we usually find in the states and Especial, which is a 70 proof.

Archived