In need a hotel near the Victoria tourist spots!

We will be docking in Vancouver, then spending two nights in Victoria to do the gardens, and whatever else strikes our fancy. Can someone please recommend a hotel that is not too expensive (less than $200 a night, preferably) that is located near the ferry dock (lot's of luggage), and centrally located to whatever it is tourists do in Victoria? :) Any other "how to get around" tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Couple of questions

What dates are you in Victoria? (Prices go up peak season)

How are you getting to Vancouver Island from Vancouver? (no car limits the

possibilities)

Both the above hotels are good and should be in your price range. There are

a few others in the downtown core.

We will be docking in Vancouver, then spending two nights in Victoria to do the gardens, and whatever else strikes our fancy. Can someone please recommend a hotel that is not too expensive (less than $200 a night, preferably) that is located near the ferry dock (lot's of luggage), and centrally located to whatever it is tourists do in Victoria? :) Any other "how to get around" tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, you said 'ferry dock' & I read 'cruise dock'. The ferry from Vancouver docks at Schwartz Bay, several miles north of the city. The ferries from Seattle, Bellingham & Port Angeles dock downtown. The ferry from Anacortes docks at Sidney. Which one!!!???:confused:

Graham.

Here's one place that I stay at everytime I go over to Victoria - if you just want a place to sleep that is fairly close to everything - is clean and has friendly staff and doesn't cost too much you might want to try this one:

http://www.paulsmotorinn.com/

There is no accommodation right by the ferry - the closest would be in the town of Sidney but then you will need to bus into Victoria to see most of the sights.

You might also want to try http://www.hellobc.com for more hotel info on the Victoria area.

Cheers

Dennis

I am a great fan of the Victoria Towers and Suites when I am in Victoria http://www.harbourtowers.com/harbour.towers.htm the other ones would be the Best Western Inner Habour http://www.victoriabestwestern.com/directions.html or the Days Inn Inner Harbour http://www.daysinnvictoria.com/

My absolute favourite whenI used to travel was the Magnolia but I don’t think you will get it for under $200 in high season http://www.magnoliahotel.com/

Thanks

The Ferry Dock (if you mean the ferry from Vancouver) is 32km North of Victoria at Swartz Bay, there is very little directly near it. Downtown (where most of the touristy things are is chock full of hotels.

The Bedford Regency would be my choice. Right downtown, and a beautiful boutique hotel. If you're looking for Boutique, Swans would be another choice. The Queen Victoria Inn is good option right next to Beacon Hill Park. You could also try Helm's Inn , the Embassy Inn or the James Bay Inn for a great downtown location near the tourist spots, and all under $200

As someone already suggested, Paul's would be the choice for 'cheap and cheerful', but the location isn't really walking distance to what you'll want. I would avoid the 'Travelers Inn" chain, I haven't heard much good about them.

It's not near the ferry dock, but we've had great luck with the Coast Hotel right on the harbour downtown. It's inexpensive and a pleasant walk to everything via the boardwalk, plus they have a shuttle if you are dressed up for dinner and don't want to walk.

They have great water views,so specify that in your reservation. We've booked with the rate where you pay in advance (no cancellations) and paid in the $149 range in the summer.

http://www.coasthotels.com/hotels/canada/bc/victoria/coast_victoria/package

Viv

It's not near the ferry dock, but we've had great luck with the Coast Hotel right on the harbour downtown. It's inexpensive and a pleasant walk to everything via the boardwalk, plus they have a shuttle if you are dressed up for dinner and don't want to walk.

They have great water views,so specify that in your reservation. We've booked with the rate where you pay in advance (no cancellations) and paid in the $149 range in the summer.

Viv

Viv

There seems to be a bit of an echo in the mountains over there in Harrison Hot Springs Sally Forth!

A bit of thread drift here, but I had to look up the CN SS Prince George. It seems that 1974 was her last year as a ferry to Alaska.The previous SS Prince George was destroyed by fire in 1947. Thank you for that connection to a bit of interesting BC maritime history. I also found a couple of nice pictures of her.

Graham.

There seems to be a bit of an echo in the mountains over there in Harrison Hot Springs Sally Forth!

A bit of thread drift here, but I had to look up the CN SS Prince George. It seems that 1974 was her last year as a ferry to Alaska.The previous SS Prince George was destroyed by fire in 1947. Thank you for that connection to a bit of interesting BC maritime history. I also found a couple of nice pictures of her.

Graham.

I worked as a student on the SS Prince George in 1963 and my brother worked on her in 1965 or 66. Even though she was only about 5,500 tons she was much more than a ferry at least as we know ferries today. She carried about 250 passengers and a crew of about 125. I can only remember 1 or 2 cars being carried all summer. She and Canadian Pacific’s Princess Patricia were the precursors of the Alaska cruise industry that we know today. Passengers were accommodated in 1st rate cabins and dotted upon by a large number of white jacketed stewards. The dining room had tables that were festooned with starched white linen, silverware and the passengers were French served.

In those days the trips were nine day in length and the ship stopped in Prince Rupert, Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway on the way north and on the way south if the tide was right we would stop in Wrangell, Ketchikan (I think), Prince Rupert, Ocean Falls and the Gardner Cannel. When my brother was on her one of the stops was dropped and they went into Alert Bay instead. The Prince George was kept around Vancouver after her decommissioning in 1974 and was to have been used for housing for Expo 86, her owners had some financial problems and she was moved up to Britannia Beach where she sat for many years and also suffered the indignity of having a fire onboard. Then some years latter she was sold the wreckers in Asia somewhere but as she was being towed across the Pacific she sank.

As a point of interest, the Princess Patricia at the end of the Alaska cruise season for many years was leased to the fledgling Princess Cruise lines and sailed out of San Diego on the Mexican Riviera route for the winter months in Princes livery.

First of all, sorry for the triple post. Honestly, I only hit it once.

Thank you SO much for the info on the ship. I couldn't find anything but now realize after reading yours that it was CN and not CP. By weird chance, I have also been discussing it on another board regarding how long the idea of first and second class passengers persisted in the cruise industry.

I thought the fire happened the day after we got off (late September 1974) but think that maybe that was a fire that could be repaired in dry dock, and then it sat around.

We went into Wrangell on our cruise, but as I recall, we were running behind (the ship had to wait until the tide was right to run the narrows) and didn't get in until quite late. Alert Bay was skipped due to weather. Ocean Falls wasn't on our itinerary.

I mentioned on the other discussion that I won the masquerade contest and still have my trophy. I did the cruise when I was in grade 12 and suffering from exhaustion that later turned out to be mono. I paid my own way ($399! which was a lot for a tiny water level cabin with bath down the hall) but my gramma and aunt went with me and gave me their share of the third person discount. They are both long deceased.

We have another maritime connection, Putterdude. I worked as a special summer constable for the RCMP in Sechelt in the 70s and got to go out on the detachment boat with the immigration guy to inspect John Wayne's boat, which was docking (in Davis Bay, I think) after a fishing trip up the coast.

Viv

Sally Forth your cabin sounds a lot like the crew cabins just above the water line. I shared mine with five other guys in bunks with the bath down the hall. When hung a blanket over the port hole because we worked odd shifts and wanted it dark in the cabin at all times. One of my sons is a quartermaster (working on his mates ticket) on the BC Ferries' Northern Adventure, the replacement for the ill fated Queen of the North, and for 9 months a year he has his own cabin and for the other 3 he has to share with one other person but each cabin has a full shower .... my how times have changed. Sechelt has grown dramatically since you were here; for that matter since we moved here 4 years ago but the downtown village is pretty much the same. Davis Bay and Wilson Creek are now part of Sechlet. Anything on the water is significantly over $1m and newer homes with a view are $700,000 to $800,000.

Thank you both for the interesting information about the SS Prince George. I recently visited the Victoria Maritime Museum for the first time (it has been on my 'to do' list for years) & had a wonderful day engrossed in BC maritime history. There is also a good section on the BC Ferries. I will have to go back & see if I can find the SS Prince George.

That is interesting that the Princess Pat. was an early 'Princess' cruise ship. Given that the old CP Empresses of Canada & Britain started Carnival cruise lines, there is quite a cruising heritage from these shores. I see that the old Empress of Britain will not be the 'Peace Boat' for much longer. I have not heard any word on her future. That would be a great opportunity for Canada to preserve a piece of her history.

Talking of working on a 5,500 ton ship reminded me of the days when I worked on the 5,000 ton OCL Ocean Islander (for a brief period of time) sailing the Med, Atlantic, South America & the Caribbean. It is great to be able to look back on these experiences.

Speaking of BC Ferries; I crossed on the new Coastal Renaissance the other day. I thought that she was nice, but a little 'dated' in style & quite tightly designed inside with poor passenger flow through the narrow passageways & staircases.

Graham.

"quite tightly designed inside with poor passenger flow through the narrow passageways & staircases"

I went through the open house here in Vancouver and thought just the opposite but I will find out for sure next month when I head over to the Island for a meeting and a few days at Long Beach.

Have you been following the progress of the second new ship the Coastal Inspiration - she came through the Canal the other day and is now just about off of Cabo San Lucas.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I would have liked to be on the crossing of the Atlantic on a BC Ferry!:D

I enjoyed the new ferry, liking some things but not so keen on others. I thought that the angular 'Star Wars' design was a bit dated. The superstructure on the upper sun deck was very boxy, utilitarian & old fashioned (it would not have been out of place on Titanic) & did not work with the curvaceous 'Princess' style funnel above, which again looked out of place with the angular design of the rest of the ship.

The interior was like a rabbit warren; fun to explore with it's multitude of quite narrow passageways & staircases, but I think it would be congested when busy. There was only one restaurant & two cafes but no buffet.

I liked the covered promenade decks but thought that the two deck stairway straight up to the sun deck looked a bit dangerous if someone was to fall ( although it was closed off when I was on board). The upper sun deck only had access indoors on one side, leaving me to walk all the way down one side, searching in vain for a way in ( a line of doors all denying entry). The upper deck is like that on some of the old Queens with a shelter at both ends.

My favourite part was the upper car deck! It is open & spacious with railings at the side & good views. It will be nice to walk around during bad weather.

Graham.

Before some one yells at us for hijcking this thread perhaps we ought to start a thread "BC Ferries & BC Marine History". However with respect to the Costal Renesance which I haven't been on, just observed from our LR window, I understand that she took a bit of a beating on her way from Germany to BC and they had to fly in some German shipyard types to make some after market adjustments. I was also talking to some yesterday who was on her earlier this week who felt the climb from the lower car deck to the first pax deck was quite steep and also the evidently they had a plumbing problem with the urnals all but overflowing. However that is nothing compared to the issues they have had and are having with the Northern Adventure; somebody told me the other day that he actually felt sorry for David Hahn and maybe we should be.

Archived