help with transportation in christchurch

lulubell

:confused: Does any one know the cheapest and quickest way to get to the Antarctic center from where the Princess Sapphire docks in christchurch...on a Sunday?:confused: thanks in advance for your responses

quickest way is a cab, but also the most expensive ... think it is about $60 if I recall correctly from an earlier post. Taxis are available at shipside but careful catching one back – only 2 taxi companies allowed onto wharf - Blue Star and Gold Band. Others drop off at the Security Gate.

The cheapest way is the local bus system ... here are my research notes that I took with me.

Christchurch:

There is a free port operated shuttle from shipside into Lyttleton - stops at bus stop (for Christchurch bus) and visitor’s centre.

Public buses to the city depart at 8:20 (#28), 9:00 (#28), 9:20 (#35), and 9:30 (#28) and so on – takes about 30 minutes to City Exchange, two blocks from Cathedral Square. Return buses (#28 only) leave city half-hourly at 2:25, 2:55, 3:25, 3:55 and 4:25. Fare is NZ$2.50 each way but a day pass is available for NZ$10 - good if going to Antarctic Centre.

Public buses to Antartic Centre from city take about 25 minutes: Route A (airport service) - 9:35, 10:35 then half hourly; Route 10 – half hourly at :46 and :16. Get off at domestic terminal and follow the blue footprints on the pavement to the Centre. Return to city from bus stop directly outside Centre: Route A – half hourly at :10 and:40; Route 10 – half hourly at :06 and :36

We were there on a Saturday (or should have been, but that's another story) but I presume Sunday times are the same.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bob

:confused: Does any one know the cheapest and quickest way to get to the Antarctic center from where the Princess Sapphire docks in christchurch...on a Sunday?:confused: thanks in advance for your responses

Take the shuttle to Cathedral Square and then the Penguin Express to the Antarctic Centre. This is run by the Antarctic Centre. You know it when you see the minibus with penguins on top. Leaves from near the trolley stop.

Thank you for the info:) - how much is the shuttle to Cathedral Square?,and is the penguin bus free?

I think the shuttle was 10NZD and the Penguin Express was 15NZD return but I am guessing. Was not free however.

Take the shuttle to Cathedral Square and then the Penguin Express to the Antarctic Centre. This is run by the Antarctic Centre. You know it when you see the minibus with penguins on top. Leaves from near the trolley stop.

Interestingly, the Antarctic Centre website makes no mention of the Penguin Express, so it is possible that this service is no longer available.

Other than by car, the website offers only 2 options to get from the city centre to the Antarctic Centre.

• public transport via the airport bus services I mentioned on my previous post, or
  • the “Best Attractions” shuttle bus from opposite the Old Post Office Building in Cathedral Square - this shuttle provides transport between and entry to 4 Christchurch attractions - Christchurch Gondola, International Antarctic Centre, Christchurch Tramway and Willowbank Wildlife Reserve, and costs $125 for adults

Cheers

Bob

Archived