2nd Ventura class Ship

sidari

• 3 weeks later...
2nd Ventura class for P and O

The second ship of this class is due to be delievered in 2010 as yet there is no name for her.

In line with P&O's policy of attracting families with young children,

it will be named the M.V. Jackanory.

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

Cb

MV Oldie.......or

MV Stick not in use when its dinner time it amazing how quick I can really walk!!!

Or

MV I always push past people on my way to the lift and never smile or saythank thank you.

OR

I love this one

MV Smoking Banned on this shio go to Butlins!!!!! :cool:

Or

MV- Sun bed hoggers!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Or

MV Why? do Children always go in our adult only pool" :rolleyes:

2nd Ventura class for P and O

The second ship of this class is due to be delievered in 2010 as yet there is no name for her.

Of the current (very nearly) 6 ships in the P&O fleet, half use names from older P&O ships - Arcadia, Oceana & Oriana - and half don't. And of the latter group, one - Artemis - has a 'special' reason for her name. (Strictly speaking, you could argue that Oriana was originally named as part of the Orient Line, but it was already 100% owned by P&O at that time, the fleets were under common management, and a few years later they were formally merged.) I can't find history of previous use of either Aurora or Ventura as names of P&O or Orient Line ships.

Of the older 'available' names, perhaps the most evocative come from Orient Lines: Ophir, Orcades, Oronsay, Orontes, Orsova - wonderful names, some of which were in use on ships that did some cruising in the 60s and 70s. So there are plenty of excellent names they could use. There again, they deliberately didn't use any of them for Ventura so that suggests to me that they won't re-use an old name for the 2010 newbuild.

Whatever they do call it, it must not be called Canberra. I never went on her, though I recall seeing her in the late 50s when she was being built - I had family in Belfast and I remember sailing past Harland & Woolf on the steamers from Heysham & Liverpool - and my father took a great picture of her on her first cruise following her South Atlantic excursion in 1982. But by all accounts she was a special ship, and I think her name should only be re-used for an equally special new ship.

Sorry to break in here but I was intrigued by this thread. My father was in the Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve prior to WW2. Upon the outbreak of hostilities he was put aboard an armed merchant ship named the MV Silverbeach as a gunner and sailed from Vancouver, to Hawaii, on to the Philippines. When they got to Ceylon it was discovered that he had TB. So he was hospitalized there for some months then placed aboard an earlier version of the Orontes or the Orsova which was either serving as a troop ship or hospital ship. It sailed up through the Suez and the Mediterranean and ended up in the UK where he was again hospitalized until he was shipped back to Canada. As a result of his exposure to the P&O ship he developed a real fondness for the line and I can remember him going down to the cruise ship pier in Vancouver to see each P&O liner that came into Vancouver. I can remember as a young person the arrival of the new Orsova, Oriana, the Canberra, and the Oronsay; I think it was the Orsova that had the Welsh hat on top of her funnel. Sadly Vancouver is no longer on the P&O’s routing but of course we do have the lovely Princess ships.

Archived