Alaska.. northbound or southbound

NefertariMalta

Good afternoon all!

my friends and I are looking into taking a princess cruise to alaska next june :D At first we thought there was no difference if we take the cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage or vice versa but now someone told us that from Vancouver to Anchorage it is much better than from Anchorage to Vancouver. Is it true? They visit the same places... so why shoud there be a difference?

Thanks in advance for any reply :cool:

Good afternoon all!

my friends and I are looking into taking a princess cruise to alaska next june :D At first we thought there was no difference if we take the cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage or vice versa but now someone told us that from Vancouver to Anchorage it is much better than from Anchorage to Vancouver. Is it true? They visit the same places... so why shoud there be a difference?

I have cruised between Vancouver and Seward northbound. We were told by a crew member (chef) that the waters can be much rougher on the southbound. I think it has something to do with the route it takes. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that is what he said.

Good afternoon all!

My personal preference is southbound, as I much prefer to spend pre-cruise time in Alaska (vs. post-cruise)...that is just my preference. It is really important to plan to be in the port city at least a day (preferably 2 days, especially when traveling from the east coast) prior to ship departure, due to the prevalence of flight delays/cancellations these days. If you buy the Princess travel insurance but do not use Princess for your flights, the Princess travel insurance will NOT cover your missing the ship due to flight delays. I book my own air (I like to choose my own flights & know what I've got, rather than let Princess book me on out-of-the-way flights that have connections down south when I'm heading north), and I get other travel insurance which covers everything. I know you didn't ask about that, but wanted to give you that info.

Some prefer northbound on the premise of the scenery getting better and better as they sail north. I can see their point, but I'd rather have the shorter flight home from Vancouver at the end of the trip.

Typically, you can save some $ on a northbound vs. southbound (in the same timeframe), as southbound tends to be a bit more in demand. Either option is wonderful, it's just how your pre-cruise and post-cruise plans fit with the sailing you choose. If you have a timeframe or specific date in mind, compare ships to see which might suit you better. Also, if you prefer to book air on your own, check to see which dates have better pricing (could be the same either way, or one could be better than the other -- best to check that before booking the cruise).

Also, try posting on the Alaska board, you'll get lots of feedback there. :)

I have cruised between Vancouver and Seward northbound. We were told by a crew member (chef) that the waters can be much rougher on the southbound. I think it has something to do with the route it takes. Doesn't make much sense to me, but that is what he said.

BigBearLady -- This is not intended to be mean. However, I responded to an almost identical post of yours a while back. The above statement (can't imagine who would have told you this) is complete nonsense. The route is the route, and northbound/southbound sailing has nothing to do with the condition of the seas! Also, the waters between these 2 ports are not "open sea" and are typically very calm. (Cruising out of Seattle would be another story.)

H thanks so so much for all the information you gave me including the insurance!! :D

Our idea is to spend around 5 days in Vancouver and around 3 days in Alaska so we would not sail on the day our flights arrive since as you said there might be delays or even lost suitcases etc. There are two cruises which look nice that depart on the 14th one is on the Sapphire Princess and it leaves Vancouver to Anchorage and the other is on the Diamond Princess which less Anchorage to Vancouver. The second option will be cheaper by a USD100. I did not know that there was an Alaska board :o let me try and find and post the same question there :) thanks so so much both of you.

H thanks so so much for all the information you gave me including the insurance!! :D

Our idea is to spend around 5 days in Vancouver and around 3 days in Alaska so we would not sail on the day our flights arrive since as you said there might be delays or even lost suitcases etc. There are two cruises which look nice that depart on the 14th one is on the Sapphire Princess and it leaves Vancouver to Anchorage and the other is on the Diamond Princess which less Anchorage to Vancouver. The second option will be cheaper by a USD100. I did not know that there was an Alaska board :o let me try and find and post the same question there :) thanks so so much both of you.

If your dates are somewhat flexible, you might want to check out the Island or Coral Princess (twin ships)...look for ship reviews & opinions on the Princess & Alaska boards for comparison. I've not been on Diamond or Sapphire (was on Crown, also a Grand Class ship), and will be on Island in September. I read so many rave reviews here about Island/Coral, which helped me decide. Whichever you choose, it will be wonderful. If you want balcony cabins, read posts on cabin selection so that you have the best viewing (if you are paying for a balcony, you should make sure you get something worthwhile).

Also, just my opinion, you might want to spend the longer free time in Alaska instead of Vancouver...unless you have something specific in mind and need to be in Vancouver that amount of time. With only 3 days in Alaska, you would be limited in your options. Just something to consider. There is so much to see/do in Alaska and 3 days is just getting started :)

Most of the Alaska cruise is through inland waterways or near the coast so there would be little difference when it comes to whether it's rougher sailing southbound vs. northbound. It's possible that someone did this cruise twice going in opposite directions and the weather/seas were different which would give them that impression but the question is like asking, "Is it rougher to row across the lake or coming back?" Shouldn't make any difference.

I prefer southbound, i.e., Anchorage to Vancouver for a couple of reasons. One is that you get your long flight(s) over with before the cruise. If you're planning to spend several days in Alaska, you do it before the cruise. It's usually several intense days of tours and travel, then you board the ship and relax for several days. Then, when you get to Vancouver, your flight home is several hours shorter.

Typically, you can save some $ on a northbound vs. southbound (in the same timeframe), as southbound tends to be a bit more in demand.

Actually, the opposite is true... compare prices historically as well as for this summer and you'll find the S/B itineraries are not only consistently lower in price, but these are the sailings that are considered the best deal for a last-minute booking, as they just do not book up as early as the N/B sailings and last-miute deals are common.

Having sailed both directions many times, I can honestly say the trip can be a very different one in each direction as your ship may take a slightly different route thru the Inside Passage on the S/B trip than it did on the N/B trip(People will swear I'm wrong, but trust me - I'm not). That said, the trip is a spectacular one in either direction, go with the best price and your air travel preferences, and try to spend some time before/after in Alaska.

For the best deal, sail in May.

I prefer the N/B trip for just the reason stated previously - the feeling of sailing off into the wilderness.

Archived