Celebrity Millennium March 2-9, 2008

Treven

Here I am sitting at the desk in my room at the Cabana Guest House in FLL, unwinding from the cruise. My flight back to the Left Coast leaves at 7: a.m. tomorrow; looking forward to sleeping in my own bed with my own pillows.

Had a great time on the cruise as well as the ports of call.

Did the catamaran snorkeling tour on the BluQ out of Key West.

The submarine excursion out of Grand Cayman; we went down to 100' & got to see lots of coral and fish. Also saw a ship wreck as well as a mermaid!! Spent a good amount of good old American dollars there too. Though they have their own money, it seemed like all transactions were done using US currency, even outside of the fenced off "tourist area", and got change back in US money.

At Belize City I did the Beer & City tour. The tour of the city was not particularily impressive. The driver made only one photo stop which was at a church. The only thing that was of particular interest was the church was made of bricks which were supposedly made in England and used as balast in early sailing ships. At the brewery, supposedly the only one in the country, we had a tour of the brewery itself and then had an opportunity to have as much beer as we wanted. We had 45 minutes of tasting. They make 5 different versions of Belikin beer & we got to sample/drink as much as we wanted. Not being a big beer fan, I sampled three of the beers and all combined probably didn't even fill a pilsner-style glass. They were good though.

It was a piece of cake getting into and out of the pier.

It probably took only about 30 minutes of waiting in line for a taxi after leaving the ship. I think that was pretty good as there were about 2000 guys on the Mille, and there were a total of 10 ships in port at the same time; spread out over the entire port facility. Damn that place is big!!!

As a follow up to my previous posting, Sonday evening I had dinner at Charlie's Crab, on the Intercoastal Waterway; a recommendation from the desk clerk at the B&B. I don't know if they had a new cook or perhaps it was just an off night, but I wasn't all that impressed with the food. The view sure was spectacular tho. There was a yacht docked right there at the place.

The next night I had dinner at the Old Florida Seafood House on N.E. 26th. While this place didn't have the atmosphere or the view that Charlie's had, the food was much! better. This is the type of restaurant that I would think would be popular with the locals. Nothing pretentious about it, just good seafood and very filling.

Archived