Cheapest way to phone home

What is the cheapest way to make phone call home. I bought a phone card last time we went to Hawaii but most of the minutes got used up just making the call. I bought it in Vancouver and wonder if that was the mistake. Is it better to buy the card in the country you are calling from?

Buying one in that country is most often the best bet ... or sometimes even cheaper is to look for an internet cafe near the port (ask a crew member for a recommendation).

I remember one in St. Thomas that charged $5 per HOUR for calls anywhere in the world. Obviously they're using VOIP for their calls, and it seemed to be pretty popular.

Worst bet - using the pay phones right along the docks... they don't take prepaid cards, only credit cards & you don't find out what you're paying until you get your bill! Make sure you find one that's run by the telephone company of that country (their equivalent of AT&T/Bell/Etc...)

You need to purchase the prepaid minute cards at each port you want to call on. They all use different ones and not the ones you can buy at home. Best bet is ask your waitstaff or room steward THEY buy the card at the port you want to use. ALso ask where the QUIETER phones are. They use the phones on a regular basis and know exactly where to find the best deals and best phones. The phones that are at the port tend to be busy all the time and it's too noisy around them. We find the help we need from the great staff onboard the ship. They are very helpful!!

Thank you both for the great information. I need to talk to my daughter and grandaugthers at least a couple of times while we are on our cruise or I go into withdrawls:rolleyes:

I Am Canadian, Eh: What part of Canada are you from? I live on Vancouver Island?

Archived