Knitting on cruise?

jocelysue

And to think that my late husband thought I was a little crazy for dragging my knitting along. Too bad he can't read this thread to see that I am not the only person in the world who takes their knitting on airplanes, on cruises, and on vacation in general. Next time I am in Alaska, I will be on the lookout for knitting stores.

Thanks to this thread, I have renewed my interest in knitting and spinning. I am going to a local store that sells exotic fibres and yarns to see what project I can find to take on this trip.

Thank-you for starting this thread -- my wife will appreciate it too (I rarely knit for myself)

This may be a little off the thread but since so many of you are avid knitters (and other needlecrafts), I read a book on my cruise last week that was excellent. The name is "The Knitting Circle". I don't remember the author (I already loaned the book to a friend who is a knitter) but it captures the universality of the comfort and connection that is made by knitters/crocheters and all those who use their hands to create things. I hope some of you enjoy it. By the way, I am a beginner knitter and think the idea of spending even a few days in the company of those who have far more experience and can share their wisdom and knowledge is a great idea.

Another book about knitting that I enjoyed reading is "Yarn Harlot" by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee. It is a little book filled with her knitting experiences and it will keep you in stitches.:rolleyes: There are lots of good novels about knitters and knitting that are enjoyable - great to take with you on a cruise to read when your hands get too tired to knit. :eek:

What about Quilters ????:)

Yeah but where are you going to set up your Gracie long arm quilting machine? The art auction people might object to you using the space they would have for their art.

The balcony and salt air might not be good for the sewing machine, the room, humm, the steward might have trouble getting round to clean up. Oh I know - the Crows Nest and you could have lessons in there.

I went to several in the Seattle area. One was in Kent. I was with a friend who owned a knit shop in North Carolina and we went to every knit shop anywhere near where we were staying in Kent but I can't remember the names of any of them. The shop in Ketchikan was upstairs in a very nice mall area on the waterfront. It had some beautiful yarns. I didn't buy anything because at that time I was just beginning and only knit scarves. I also went to a shop in Skagway. It was on one of the side streets about 2 blocks from the water but was easy to find. I don't know about a shop in Juneau. We didn't have time to do much looking or shopping there since our day was full with excursions. I plan to look up the shops in Ketchikan and Skagway in June.

There is a shop in Juneau, right on the main street facing the dock, Franklin, I think. It is in a mall-type building IIRC. Some very nice yarns as well. The only problem was the young lady that was working there at the time. She stated that she just didn't like the cruise ships since they disrupted life in town. Go figure.

I was taught to knit (eons ago) as a little girl by my g-grandmother, but quit about high school/collage. I picked it up again a few years ago while back in Seattle dealing with a family medical crisis. It was relaxing and kept my mind busy enough during the weeks spent with my dad in the hospital - and the months after - still up in Seattle.

Since DH & I had booked an Alaskan cruise during that time, I took my knitting with me, SIL took time off work to care for Dad so I could go. It was SO nice, sitting on the bus ride up to Vancouver, just me and my knitting. I did my knitting onboard, up in the Crow's Nest. That is a wonderful place with all the Alaskan scenery all around. Another passenger loved the sweater I was working on and asked for the pattern information. Thankfully, I did have the booklet with me and I was able to share with her.

Thanks for the heads up on the WC knitting. We're booked for a few segments next year. That sounds like a worthy project.

I also do counted X-stitch, but I don't cruise with that. My patterns are too detailed - I'd make too many mistakes :rolleyes:

WOW! I am so glad the airlines are now allowing knitting needles again! I used to do this until they were banned so I may now pick it up again, what wonderful news. I am also excited by the info on some yarn shops in Ketchikan and Juneau, will have to check those out.

I personally could get into a knitters cruise, but doubt that my husband would be thrilled. Anyway, most of my knitting was always done while traveling. And usually I would stick with something small, like socks, scarves, hats, or children's clothing items that don't take up too much room. There is so much to do while actually on the cruise I don't know if I would even have time to pick it up. On the other hand, I can see myself on the lower promenade in those cushy deck chairs knitting and watching the sea go by. Now that's heaven!

To the poster that needed other ideas: How about a knitted tablecoth or something like that? I am just about finished with one for a small square table in a lace pattern using 100% cotton thread. Its lovely.

DH and I just returned from the Noordam sail from NYC on 2/27/8 that had a knitters group onboard. Don't know much of the particulars. They gathered in one of the rooms near the library and I think that there may have been a guest knitter among them, someone who wrote a popular knitting book???? I don't "eavesdrop" as well as I use to:o Maybe someone who was part of that group will pickup on your thread here.

OOPS!:o :eek:

When I started the thread, I fully intended to include needle arts such as crocheting, cross- stitching, quilting, petit pointing, sewing, etc. Since this is intended to be a fun thread,:cool: let's be as inclusive as we can.

I often thread through the public rooms, pointing out the woven artwork...

...telling yarns and needling friends always keeps our group in stitches!

;)

I often thread through the public rooms, pointing out the woven artwork...

...telling yarns and needling friends always keeps our group in stitches!

;)

That is the most clever sentence I've seen on this board! Bravo! Marvelous!

I do not knit, but I sew (actually I make most of my cruise clothes) I have taken a mini-sewing machine with me.

Out of curiosity, what machine do you take traveling with you? I've found that what most manufacturers consider portable isn't the same definition as I have!

Out of curiosity, what machine do you take traveling with you? I've found that what most manufacturers consider portable isn't the same definition as I have!

It's a small 3 lb Jamone (sp?) model that cost around $40-50. I does forward, backward and zig-zag. It can handle most of the simple stiches that I mainly use in sewing.

For those who love HAl and knitting http://www.craftcruises.com

April 15 to Mexico on the Ryndam

Sept 1 -11 on the Eurodam to New England and Canada

November 10 to South America on the Statendam

September 6, 2009 to Alaska on the Westerdam

Oh I have several small sewing/embroidery machines that I have that I can put in a suit case. The combo is a small Brother 400 and the sewing only machine is a Janome Gem. The supplies are what take up so much room.

Carol Price

http://carolcp.home.att.net

Well, I'm in awe of both Kathy & Carol. I can't imagine doing full on sewing on a cruise. :) Mainly since I always seem to run short of something or the other and have to run to the store. Can't do that in the middle of the ocean! I'm no where near organized enough to consider being that ambitious.... But I'd sit around and admire your work.

I usually try to find local knit shops when I travel. I am looking forward to revisiting shops in Ketchikan and Skagway this cruise. I have also found shops in Seattle, Canada, and Bermuda.

Where is the shop in Bermuda? I will be there in about two weeks!

Julie

• 2 years later...

I will be on a cruise to Alaska this August and see that you have found yarn shops to visit in Skagway and Ketcikan. Can you share the locations or names and if they are worth a trip to visit.

Judy

Bored2

I just purchased some yarn in Seattle.........it comes from Sitka, Company called ~ Raven Frog Fiber Arts~. It's 60% seawead 40% silk. A nice "lace type" yarn. Look at the web site see it it is sold in the towns/cities you will visit.

Knitter

While at a "Pei Wei" restaurant the other night my husband suggested I take a pair of the "take-out" chop sticks to use flying from Europe to the USA. You can't take knitting needles (includes wood), but a scarf made with chop sticks might be fun.

I always have knitting with me. And seem to meet wonderful people while traveling on planes and ship while I knit.

Enjoy your trip. :)

:):) I love counted cross-stitch - unfortunately, I need a large lighted magnifying lamp which would be impossible to lug along. But I think I could manage

with some small project and the clip-on magnifier glasses. Have to think about that. We are doing a 30 day to Hawaii/Tahiti on the Rotterdam next Jan.'2011

which has about 15 sea days so other than catching up

on my reading and finding some pinnochle players - plenty of free time.;)

Archived