Can I Buy A Vowel? For $100

LPGoddess

:mad: I'm glad that you consider $100 a small amount of money. She may have over-reacted, but it would piss me off too. Even if all of the lines do it, its still a rip-off. It's just a way for them to appear to charge lower fares and then nickle & dime you to death. If they could figure out a way to do it, they would charge you if you farted!

Talk about nickel and diming......about six weeks ago my wife and I each got an email from Princess stating that out port taxes had gone up and as a result each of us would be assessed an additional $.10.....thats right 10 cents each!

Our documents do not have our middle names on and of course our passports do. Will this be a problem??

Last summer my documents did not have our middle names, but our passports do, no one said anything...this year i asked the TA, he said first and last are most important......

I'm typically one who blames the customer on issues that the customer should have check out. BUT, on this one I side with the OP. Come on, why would it cost anything just to correct a name change regardless of fault as it may have been their, the TA's or the customers fault. Not sure that this one should cost anybody anything. Certainly not $100.

I agree being off ny one or two letters and charging a change fee is ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Talk about nickel and diming......about six weeks ago my wife and I each got an email from Princess stating that out port taxes had gone up and as a result each of us would be assessed an additional $.10.....thats right 10 cents each!

I thought it was very poor PR when we were charged additional port charges of $3.60......You were literally nickled and dimed by Princess.

I checked with my TA since this discussion since only our first and last names are listed on Princess site and all the invoices we have received. Our passports and drivers licenses list our middle names. She advised that neither/either our middle initials or middle names are necesarry, infact the form she fills out does not allow for that. It is fine for us- our last name is not "Smith" or "Jones" or other common name, but, not sure what they do if they have three John Smiths, and five Mary Jones- so...guess there is no worry. but it is interesting.

Ruth

This is truly an antiquated fee. This fee was put in place because of the cost to reissue tickets and boarding passes when packets were sent out after final payments were made.

With todays ability of e-tickets and the fact that most customers print their own boarding passes and packets at home, no cost is involved with reissuing tickets/boarding passes.

The cruising industry is not going to do away with this fee (because it is an income producing tool) until enough people complain and bring to their attention that in this day and age, no cost is involved (to the cruising industry; except for the customer servie time) when someone calls in due to the misspelling of a name.

I agree not to hold a grudge and let it ruin your vacation. Too often I see people post so many negative comments. What's up with all the nitpicking? I mean, you were just on a CRUISE! How much better can life be??!! Focus on the good and have an awesome time!

This is truly an antiquated fee. This fee was put in place because of the cost to reissue tickets and boarding passes when packets were sent out after final payments were made.

With todays ability of e-tickets and the fact that most customers print their own boarding passes and packets at home, no cost is involved with reissuing tickets/boarding passes.

The cruising industry is not going to do away with this fee (because it is an income producing tool) until enough people complain and bring to their attention that in this day and age, no cost is involved (to the cruising industry; except for the customer servie time) when someone calls in due to the misspelling of a name.

The funny thing is, they spent well over $100 worth of time on this issue! Again, there is some work on changing the base computer record, but all of the reports are printed when the ship comes into port (confirmed by two separate people at the service desk). They have to do this to handle last minute adds and deletions! I have sent Princess a letter outlining the spending with them that I cancelled and what I did not spend. I also gave them the positives of the cruise. They can determine for themselves if they won a battle and lost a customer.

Thank you all again for giving various views of the situation. It helps me to make sure I keep things in perspective!:)

Archived