Smoking Policy on Carnival

oceanbutterfly

I would be willing to go on a smaller ship if it was a totally non-smoking one. I know I will take flack for this, but if someone wants to smoke, do it in your stateroom. I really don't care to breath in second hand smoke. Once again, I am not saying people should not smoke, but don't force others to breath it in. (Putting on flack vest) :D

They tried that and it was a bust

There should be a cruise ship called "Denial" for all the smokers bringing up perfume' date=' cologne, peanuts, etc in comparison to cigarette smoke.

I'm sure it would be booked solid!:D[/quote']

As long as you realize you are in denial also - do you know that just washing your clothes can cause you to have a new allergy from all the "formulated" ingredients in your cleaner? Are you aware that as much has been over-rated about 2nd hand smoke as global warming - ask the people in Ohio that just had the worst storm ever for March. 2nd hand smoke may kill you, but so can the fall from your bed, or flipping the switch for your light or a million other things in everyday life.

I am not in denial. I am well educated, well informed, and aware of the risks and dangers that are out there. I avoid some, take my chances with others just as smokers do. Just want it to be my choice based on the information that is out there for all of us.

So, smoke if you want in designated smoking areas. I will stay away and if I don't, than that will be my problem. If an area is designated as non smoking, ditto.

I for one like to tan. I know it's not good for me-also causes numerous types of cancer. I take my chances. People who don't want too take the risk can wear sunblock or stay in the shade. It is a personal choice but one that does not bother anyone else.

I am not in denial. I am well educated, well informed, and aware of the risks and dangers that are out there. I avoid some, take my chances with others just as smokers do. Just want it to be my choice based on the information that is out there for all of us.

So, smoke if you want in designated smoking areas. I will stay away and if I don't, than that will be my problem. If an area is designated as non smoking, ditto.

I for one like to tan. I know it's not good for me-also causes numerous types of cancer. I take my chances. People who don't want too take the risk can wear sunblock or stay in the shade. It is a personal choice but one that does not bother anyone else.

Well said :)

This subject is usually a testy one, I am a non-smoker from a family of smokers so to be honest, I don't smell smoke I think I am imune to the smell, my mom and I go on cruises together all the time and she like PP said doesn't smoke in the cabin but smokes on the deck, many times I will go and keep her company in the smoking section you meet a lot of fun people, all that being said I will never understand how people complain about smokin outdoor outdoors, I'm mean how close are you outdoors to a person that smokes that you are truly affected, I mean lets be real if someones smoking on a balcony below or above you, you can really see and smell the smoke to the point that it bothers you. Lets get real, I've never heard of a person getting cancer from 2nd hand spoke from being outdoors and simply smelling smoke for a few seconds.

Oh jeeze! Another one of these threads! :rolleyes:

I am a non-smoker. If I hang out in a smokey bar/room, I will get a sinus infection. Heavy scents such as perfume & candles mean an instant headache & nausea for me. With that said, if I'm in a smoking area, then I know to expect smoke. If I walked into the cigar bar, I know I'd smell cigars. Do I like either of those scents? No, but if it's a smoking area, I don't have any room to complain. I will however ask a smoker to please not hold their cigarette right next to me. You know what I'm talking about, when the smoker holds their cigarette off to the side so their companions don't have to inhale, but that puts it right in your face. To me that's just consideration. A non-smoking area is the only time I can complain & will about a smoker.

Oh & on my last cruise, I did smell cigarette & cigar smoke on my balcony. But it certainly wasn't an overpowering haze covering my balcony. I could simply faintly smell it. The wind whipped it away.

So let's see. The cigar bar is designated by the cruiseline and people don't want them to smoke where it's allowed.........I'm confused.....Seems like instead of beating up on someone who is following the rules and smoking where it is allowed you should be giving Carnival the flack.....

I was giving Carnival flack. I stated that the placement of the cigar bar was stupid. I also included it on my comment card. I was obviously not blaming that on the smokers. I was responding to a poster who was whining that people were making faces because of that setup, when nobody said anything to him or prevented him from smoking.

But aren't they being "considerate" by smoking where they are allowed to do so? Sounds like they're damned if they don't and damned if they do. It's not their fault that the ship was designed that way.

No. Being "considerate" requires more than the minimal act of following the ship's rules. By that definition, a smoker who sits at the line in a bar that divides smoking from nonsmoking and blows smoke directly in the face the adjacent person is being "considerate." You may think that person is considerate because he's following the rules. I don't. Being considerate requires taking into account the interests of others, beyond what the law or rules require. It requires, for instance, keeping your stereo well below the level at which police are likely to be called.

"Considerate" is about etiquette, not regulation. If you’ll consult a book on etiquette, you’ll discover the etiquette rule about smoking in a crowded area is: "Don’t."

I am a smoker and I really try to be considerate of people who don't smoke. It's just a matter of time before us smokers will be not allowed to smoke anywhere but our own homes. We won't even be allowed to smoke walking down the street. Yes, cigaretts and cigar smoke can be very irratating to people who don't smoke. What I find more irratating is people who bath in the cologns and perfumes and than have to stand next to them, what can be done about that?

In the future you won't even be able to smoke in your home. Some states are already trying to pass laws that you can not smoke in your home if children are present. I read of a law suit in Cali that one neighbor was being sued by another because he was smoking in his backyard and the neighbor suing him could smell it in their backyard.

I read of a law suit in Cali that one neighbor was being sued by another because he was smoking in his backyard and the neighbor suing him could smell it in their backyard.

Rediculous, purely rediculous.

California is known for crazy laws.

Hey folks, if people are smoking on the ship in designated places there is really nothing to complain about. Think about it, it's DESIGNATED places!

You're on vacation, have fun and don't let one thing spoil it. BTW, your vacation will be great, fantastic, but it won't be perfect. Perfect don't exist on this planet. Have fun anyway. It's not hard. If you can't have fun on a cruise ship, you can't have fun. ;)

Rediculous, purely rediculous.

California is known for crazy laws.

Hey folks, if people are smoking on the ship in designated places there is really nothing to complain about. Think about it, it's DESIGNATED places!

You're on vacation, have fun and don't let one thing spoil it. BTW, your vacation will be great, fantastic, but it won't be perfect. Perfect don't exist on this planet. Have fun anyway. It's not hard. If you can't have fun on a cruise ship, you can't have fun. ;)

Amen Dude..

My dad runs a cigar shop on Long Island for a friend of his.. and it has a smoking lounge .. Can you P-U !!!!!

But it is what it is... Enjoy!

There should be a cruise ship called "Denial" for all the smokers bringing up perfume, cologne, peanuts, etc in comparison to cigarette smoke.

I'm sure it would be booked solid!

I don't smoke, but occasionally, I burst into flames :D

No. Being "considerate" requires more than the minimal act of following the ship's rules. By that definition, a smoker who sits at the line in a bar that divides smoking from nonsmoking and blows smoke directly in the face the adjacent person is being "considerate." You may think that person is considerate because he's following the rules. I don't. Being considerate requires taking into account the interests of others, beyond what the law or rules require. It requires, for instance, keeping your stereo well below the level at which police are likely to be called.

"Considerate" is about etiquette, not regulation. If you’ll consult a book on etiquette, you’ll discover the etiquette rule about smoking in a crowded area is: "Don’t."

Thanks for the etiquette lesson. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone was talking about smoking right at the door of the cigar bar and blowing it on the people lined up for the dining room. There is a big difference between blowing smoke in directly in someone's face and a smoker smoking in an inconveniently (for some) placed room where they are supposed to do so. If I'm smoking in the back or the middle of the cigar bar, which happens to be poorly located, and the smoke floats out to the dining room line, then what? Am I still inconsiderate?

I bolded a statement you made. Consideration is a two way street. Why doesn't a non-smoker have to take into consideration the interest of a smoker in that situation, especially if they are smoking where they're supposed to?

I do agree that the placement of the cigar bar on the Glory wasn't probably the best idea in the world. However until Carnival moves it or changes the rules, there is nothing wrong with people using the bar for its intended use.

Every ship I've been on has had at least one non-smoking bar.

Might be the bar you prefer is smoking....I have the same problem in reverse.

On Elation, a band I really like (Dirt Poets) only played in the Cole Porter Club....a non-smoking venue, at least at the time. So every once in awhile I'd step out next door to Gatsby's Great Bar to have a smoke.

On the Fantasy they were all smoking (back in 06). I hope the Victory is different. If not, I won't visit them.

You are right, you can smoke on your balcony. I'm just saying I wish non smokers had a choice and Carnival would make one side of the ships cabins for non smokers.

We can't go and segregate an entire cruise ship. There has to be some compromise. The bottom line is that the smokers payed the same as the non-smokers to enjoy certain freedoms (private balcony).

Personally, I wanted a balcony so I could smoke without really bothering people. I figured the ship is moving at 22 knots, it's not like the smoke will be lingering outside.

I think you'll find that most smokers will try their best to be respectful of non-smokers. I always keep it in mind myself.

Finally, I do encourage people to just politely let your nieghbor (if a smoker) know if it is bothering you. Most will be more than happy to work something out.:)

After all, we're all on vacation. If anything we'll be more laid back just because of that!

Take care all and smooth sailing!!:cool:

In the future you won't even be able to smoke in your home. Some states are already trying to pass laws that you can not smoke in your home if children are present. I read of a law suit in Cali that one neighbor was being sued by another because he was smoking in his backyard and the neighbor suing him could smell it in their backyard.

Wow, people are really getting out of control with this.

Sounds like that guy needs to take a cruise!!! hahahaha!!

On the Fantasy they were all smoking (back in 06). I hope the Victory is different. If not, I won't visit them.

Wow....I'm surprised. I haven't been on Fantasy.

I've been on Victory twice. There are definately non-smoking bars.

There is no law like that in Calif. :rolleyes: It is a feud amongst neighbors..........
Yep...just let the government keep doing this and pretty soon living in Cuba won't seem so bad.......:eek:

Sorry, but as irritating as colognes and perfumes are...they do not contain 3,000 toxins (many of which are carcinogens). That is just not a valid argument. A human passing gas is irritating too, but it won't kill you. ;)

Although, my husband after a trip to Taco Bell comes close! :D

You are correct that soon the cruise lines will follow the lead of cities, states and even countries. Entire countries like Ireland and even FRANCE (can you believe that...I thought they were born with a cigarette in their mouths) have banned smoking indoors.

The writing is on the wall and if people want to shut their eyes...well, I guess they will just hit the wall. :)

Oh yes they do. Go google perfume and carcinogens and you will find that perfume has really high amounts of carcinogens. So lets start banning them.

That's exactly what I tell people when they whine about our

State or government..........Move to Cuba:rolleyes:

Well let's see...Their children have higher grade point averages in school than 75% of US states. All Cubans have health, dental and visual insurance. And...if you want to spank the little darlings because they act up...guess they deserved it.. And when the hard day at work is over and done....you can have a cigar without some whiner having a hissy fit about it who lives three houses away from you.........:p Oh yes....and if yoou live in an apartment and want to have a cigar in the open air on you balcony...the neighbor doesn't run to the landlord to b!tc#......:eek:

Pregnancy can cause all kinds of problems like this. I remember my wife couldn't eat anything spiced with child #2. No spice what so ever... no pepper, no nutt'n.

And this continued after birth. :eek:

She did not get her tastebuds back until she became pregnant with child #3.

What does child #2 taste like.:D Sorry couldn't resist. I couldn't stand the smell of clams when I was preganant.

Archived