Paralyzed from uncertainty

tinlizzy

A little more dramatic than reality but I booked the Carnival Miracle today for 6/18/08 and have been pricing hotels all afternoon. They seem to have gone up quite a bit this year. Everything seems to be hovering around $300. Is this the case? This wouldn't be too early to book but is later than I would normally book a hotel for Manhattan.

Here's a list that I give my employees who need a hotel room in Manhattan. Most are in the Greenwich/West Village/Chelsea area. A couple in mid town. Just check them out THOROUGHLY. Some have ONLY shared bathrooms. Great for back packers (and your kids might not mind). But not good for you.

http://gonyc.about.com/od/hotels/tp/topcheaphotel.htm

I was hoping you would answer Greatam. Yes, I'll check thoroughly. I ended up booking Jersey Boys tix on 6/26 and was going to look for an airport hotel then come back into the city with the boys but now I see Eddie Izzard is at Radio City Music Hall on the 6/27 and want to see that also. So I guess we'll stay in Manhattan before and after.

So have prices gone up for this year? Trying to decide if what I see in the next few days is as good as it gets?

There are four of us (adults) who are staying at the Edison--2 bedrooms--a combo suite for under $300/night. This is in Times Square close to tours and shows but I looked for weeks and am EXTREMELY happy with this transaction (compared to everything else we've found). We are going in July.

I was hoping you would answer Greatam. Yes, I'll check thoroughly. I ended up booking Jersey Boys tix on 6/26 and was going to look for an airport hotel then come back into the city with the boys but now I see Eddie Izzard is at Radio City Music Hall on the 6/27 and want to see that also. So I guess we'll stay in Manhattan before and after.

So have prices gone up for this year? Trying to decide if what I see in the next few days is as good as it gets?

Prices have gone up appreciably, IMHO. I am not even getting my normal Priceline bids for less than $100.00 at the airport hotels around LGA/JFK. I am paying $130 Priceline for the Courtyard at JFK this coming Sunday night.

Seems like a lot of people are going to US destinations this year. Europe is just too darn expensive.

Good luck

Seems like a lot of people are going to US destinations this year. Europe is just too darn expensive.

Good luck

It is those damm Europeans who are filling up our hotels. With the dollar so cheap a USA vacation is the bargain of the year for Europeans.

It is those damm Europeans who are filling up our hotels. With the dollar so cheap a USA vacation is the bargain of the year for Europeans.

...they're buying up all of the blue jeans, flying home with suitcases of bargain apparel, filling up restaurants in NYC, causing stores to accept Euros instead of Greenbacks and gawking at the skyscrapers too......those damn Europeans are forcing me to stay in <gasp> Jersey.......

Thank you all for the replies! Hotels do seem considerably higher this year and we were just there last July. Good news today - I booked the Salisbury before and after the cruise for the 3 of us (2 double beds) for $207/night and I can cancel the reservation w/out penalty if I find something better. The reviews look good - any reviews from someone reading this would be welcome.

Lindypc- I think the Edison looks really neat. We went over there last summer because the cafe downstairs is highly recommended on Chowhound. It was closed though. :(

Archived