Healthy Reasturants?

NinaCO

I've been following the South Beach Diet for a while now, and it's sort of become a way of life. (I stray for a meal here and there and get back on track.) I have no plans to stress over what I eat on the cruise! But, I feel better when I stick to heathily cooked protein, lots of vegetables, and whole grains.

I'm wondering if there are any terrific restaurants in New Orleans that are known for healthier fare. I'm going to the New Orleans School of Cooking on Saturday as well as Mulates, and I'm going to enjoy both without concern for sugar, fat or calories! But, I'd like to plan more nutritious eating the rest of the time I'm in New Orleans. Of course, what I plan and what happens, may not be the same thing. :D I'm staying at the Doubletree, so restaurants in the Quarter or Convention Center areas would probably be convenient. Thanks!

Nina, to my knowledge there are no 'terrific' restaurants that would meet your criteria.....can't say I know any of us cajuns who aren't healthy - it's the cayenne in our diets that keeps us going strong!:D Seriously, tho, let me check w/my daughter. She's a healthy eater, and I know there's at least one little cafe that she frequents.

Wait. I just remembered - I recently read something about Susan Spicer's "Bayonna" restaurant having a healthy-style menu. Have you tried Bayonna? It's quite good, and Susan's an innovative chef, so I might have to try her new menu next time I'm in N.O.

Like Cotton said, New Orleans restaurants aren't known for healthy foods. Most, however, now offer low-carb selections, if that's what you are looking for. Mulate's has good grilled seafood. RioMar (800 South Peters, in the warehouse district) does too. There is a little dive called Lucy's (701 Tchoupitoulas, warehouse district) that has good Tex-Mex: great black beans.

One of our favorites is a place called Bennechin, a little hole-in-the-wall (but very clean) at 1212 Royal. That's a pretty good walk (about 12 blocks) from your hotel, but you will probably be in the French Quarter anyway. It is African cuisine, but nothing wierd. It isn't vegetarian, but they have a lot of good vegetarian entrees. There are about twelve lunch specials for under $6.00.

Archived