Binoculars in Vancouver

fstrat

I need to buy a pair of waterproof Binoculars for my Alaskan cruise in August. As prices are so expensive here in Australia I was thinking of buying a pair in Vancouver before the cruise. Can anyone suggest a store in Vancouver where they have a decent range that is price competitive? I'm thinking maybe $150-$200 for 8 X 42 Roof Prism. Thanks

Hi fstrat!

We're from Sydney, and are cruising on Carnival Spirit, in August as well. I have decided to purchase the zen ray summits 8x42. I have checked their website, and they post to Australia. With the great exchange rate, you should get them under 200AUD.

There are quite a few threads about binoculars (and zen-ray especially), but I found one with a pretty thorough review, and they seem like they are great bang for your buck.

If you get them posted to you, you can atleast get used to them, and it appears that if you have any issues, they are happy to sort it out.

Good luck, and have a great cruise.

Michael

I need to buy a pair of waterproof Binoculars for my Alaskan cruise in August. As prices are so expensive here in Australia I was thinking of buying a pair in Vancouver before the cruise. Can anyone suggest a store in Vancouver where they have a decent range that is price competitive? I'm thinking maybe $150-$200 for 8 X 42 Roof Prism. Thanks
there was a store a few blocks away from our hotel (the Blue Horizon) that had a nice selection of optics at really decent prices...I almost bought a spotting scope there before our cruise. I cannot remember the name, but it was on Robson street, a few blocks southeast of the hotel. It was not a camera store...more like a small department store, and we picked up other odds and ends there as well.

I personally like to try out any optics before buying them, but if no know a make/ model that you like, there are many online options as well (eagleoptics.com is my favorite, but often find better deals on e-bay if you know what you are looking for).

There are a number of shops in Vancouver where you can purchase binoculars including the camera shop that the OP mentioned, I know the store and it is a good one, I just can’t remember the name of it. However in Pacific Centre, a major downtown mall you will find Black's Cameras, Lens & Shutter and adjacent to Pacific Centre you will find London Drugs. London Drugs is a large chain and have a big camera departments and that is probably where you will find your best deal although all will probably be pretty close.

Thanks for the help everyone. I looked on the London Drugs website and they have the Bushnell 8 x 42 Excursions which I quite like and they are cheaper than in Australia. I'm a bit reluctant to go for the Zen-Rays - not knowing anything about the company even though they do seem popular on this board. For all those Vancouverites reading this thread, sorry there will be 2 more Aussies walking the streets of your beautiful city :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I looked on the London Drugs website and they have the Bushnell 8 x 42 Excursions which I quite like and they are cheaper than in Australia. I'm a bit reluctant to go for the Zen-Rays - not knowing anything about the company even though they do seem popular on this board. For all those Vancouverites reading this thread, sorry there will be 2 more Aussies walking the streets of your beautiful city :)

You will be more than welcome, we look forward to seeing your bright shiny faces!

I'm a bit reluctant to go for the Zen-Rays - not knowing anything about the company even though they do seem popular on this board. :)

If you do a Google search on ZenRays, you will find that the ONLY place that they are popular are on this board. IMHO, that would make me very nervous about buying them.

DON

If you do a Google search on ZenRays, you will find that the ONLY place that they are popular are on this board. IMHO, that would make me very nervous about buying them.

DON

Umm, I'm not trying to justify my decision, however I took your advise and did a google search, and to my surprise, your statement that the ONLY place they are popular is on CC, is wrong. The first 3 non CC reviews were very positive. Maybe the Zen-Ray people are starting to infiltrate other websites!

Has anybody on CC bought these binoculars and actually hated them, or found them to be rubbish? Please, could real users give an opinion?

Thanks,

Michael

• Administrators

DON

I still haven't decided which brand I will buy for our Alaska cruise this summer, but here's a few of the reviews I found when I took your advice and googled Zen Ray binoculars:

http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/review-display/3607.html

http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/687741

http://www.reviewcentre.com/review279008.html

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=78608&page=2

And those were just a few of the links I found, so it doesn't appear to be just this board that discusses this product favorably. Even if it was, I'm not sure how that equates to this being a bad product -- are you saying you tried it and didn't like it?

London Drugs is very handy for many needed items!

This store (Robson Street) will accept US $ as readily as CAN $. No idea if the rate of exchange is fair. When I am in Vancouver I shop there very often. The pharmacy (chemist) dept can be very helpful if you happen to have forgotten something. I broke a tooth on one trip and they were very helpful in getting me sorted out!

They also have a variety of food and soda products as well as bottled water for those who want to take those sorts of things along on their cruise.

Need I mention chocolates?

I'm a little skeptic about the Zen-Rays too, since they have no real retail presence, and I've never seen a pair in person. If I were in the $200 or less market I would look at the Vortex Talon/Sidewinder/Diamondback models. They are awfully tough and have a lifetime no-fault replacement guarantee. You send back the broken ones, they send them back new/fixed.

For $250 I'd get the Carson XM HD, which are a great bino for the price.

A lot of binocular preference is how they feel and handle. Some people wear glasses--that changes the feel and handling. I like to try in person too...

But I'll give another vote to Eagle Optics--they are an awesome dealer.

just wanted to say that i bought the zenray 8x42 vista and think they are quite good. i've tried them with and without glasses and have no problems. i then had my 11 year old try them and she is also comfortable with them. i am not an expert when it comes to binos and didn't want to spend a lot of money on them. i am going to buy another one but have not decided if it will be 8x42 or 10x42.

ellen

• Administrators
London Drugs is very handy for many needed items!

This store (Robson Street) will accept US $ as readily as CAN $. No idea if the rate of exchange is fair. When I am in Vancouver I shop there very often. The pharmacy (chemist) dept can be very helpful if you happen to have forgotten something. I broke a tooth on one trip and they were very helpful in getting me sorted out!

They also have a variety of food and soda products as well as bottled water for those who want to take those sorts of things along on their cruise.

Need I mention chocolates?

:) I have the address in my trip file and already plan to take our rollaboard cooler with me to walk down the street to this location of London Drugs to stock up before our Holland America cruise this summer.

just wanted to say that i bought the zenray 8x42 vista and think they are quite good. i've tried them with and without glasses and have no problems. i then had my 11 year old try them and she is also comfortable with them. i am not an expert when it comes to binos and didn't want to spend a lot of money on them. i am going to buy another one but have not decided if it will be 8x42 or 10x42.

ellen

added my vote too. bought summit 10x42 last year. They are well built. I took it to local camera store and compared with several much more expensive Pentax models. Even the sales people admitted that they don't see much difference. so far, I have been very happy. In about 3 months, we are taking them to our first Alaska cruise.

If you go to the Georgia & Granville London Drug location there is a tall Asian/Canadian fellow who works in the camera department in fact I think he is the department manager. I have forgotten his name but he is the most objective man that I have ever encountered when I go to buy photographic items. I would suggest that you do your research and then have a chat with him if he is in that day. For what is worth I have a pair of Fujinon Polaris binoculars and I purchased a pair with the compass for my son who is working on getting his mates ticket; they are an excelent product but at $600 a copy they are probably over kill for what you want them for.

Archived