Passport AND Birth Certificates???

CrusingOnMyMind

We are taking our kids on their first cruise in September and will be getting them passports. Do we still need to bring along their birth certificates as well? No big deal if we do, however I'm a little concerned about my son's. DH is his step father and not listed on his birth certificate, he will be adopting him though. DS's biological father is NOT in the picture, never has been (wasn't "ready" to be a dad) and his parental rights have been court terminated LONG ago (on DS's 1st birthday actually). We understood at the time the termination was finalized that his birth certificate was supposed to be amended and his name removed - this has NOT been done and our attorney is looking into it. My concern is that if we have to present DS's birth certificate, will they let him board? I obviously will NOT have a concent letter from his biological father, as he has NO RIGHTS to DS and legally is NOT his father. If I bring a copy of the termination order, will this be good enough for the cruise line? Or is any of it even necessary if DS has a passport??

Sticky subject I know, thanks for taking time to read/respond.

You need a birth certificate to get a passport, so you will only need to bring the passport.

It's not really complicated; just be sure to have his passport and the papers that terminated birth dad's legal rights. A passport is not the same as the other parent giving permission to take a child out of the country. You'll probably never need those papers, but I would take them just in case.

Passport will be all you need as long as the child has the same last name as you. If the child has a different last name than you, then it might get kind of sticky.

He does have a different last name since I use my married name, not my maiden name, which is DS's last name. *sigh* This is going to be a challenge . . . ??

Bring the passport and a copy of the term order. I went thru the same thing although my DH has adopted my DD, but until that amended BC came I was advised by my lawyer to keep a copy of the Term order just in case.

He does have a different last name since I use my married name, not my maiden name, which is DS's last name. *sigh* This is going to be a challenge . . . ??

Ok then in this case, then I would bring the passport, the birth certificate and the termination papers.

I know it's a pain to bring them all but you just never know what you'll be asked for. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

And after you return, please come back here and let us know what they asked for. It may help others in the same situation.

Archived