Prices in Progresso

ash4020

Not really sure what expensive is: but I think you'll find a lot of good bargains in Progreso. The men's shirts and women's dresses made of manta, a natural cotton, are especially nice. You can find real vanilla extract at a good price, and lots of t-shirts and crafts. Remember to bargain!

• 2 weeks later...

Buy all your local gifts in Progresso! Prices are 1/2 what they go for in "developed" cruise ports like Cozumel. Cold Corona delivered on the beach is $1 or two for $3. Very cheap port to drink in. The Corona beach bar in Progresso charges more for beer than the locals. I recome d you take the port bus to the city flea market (long pier/highway) and then walk to the beach.

Cold Corona delivered on the beach is $1 or two for $3. Very cheap port to drink in.

I must be math challenged - I'm not sure I understand why I'd order 2 for $3 ($1.50 each) instead of one at a time for $1 each.

I must be math challenged - I'm not sure I understand why I'd order 2 for $3 ($1.50 each) instead of one at a time for $1 each.

Ka Honu..... I PROMISE that is what they advertise.... it's a HOOT!!! We were there in May 2007 and that was what we saw everywhere!! So.... we ordered one each!! Be there again April 25th... won't order 2 for $3

What do the prices run in progresso? Is it expensive or more on the cheap side? For example, shirts, vanilla, etc. Any ideas?

If you want real bargains, get off of the main drag. You can find some great bargains if you shop several blocks into town where the locals shop. My wife bought sweatpants and shirt for $6 or $8, then bought a gorgeous dress for $10. Noone in the store spoke english. We hit one store just off of the Malecon that wouldn't take U.S. dollars. That has never happened before.

Normally, I bargain when shopping in the tourist traps. Offer 1/2 and meet somewhere in the middle.

I didn't bargain when I shopped with the locals. As one vendor told me, "Senor, this is how I make my living." I can't argue with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Progreso! I found great deals at the local shops and flea market. Normally I am a bargain shopper, but I felt their prices (most of them) were very reasonable. And that is how they make Unlike Cozumel where they start off double what something is worth. It is a great place for souvenirs and gifts to take friends. I suggest Cozumel if you want to use a credit card or buy name brands at a discount. Progreso is the place for more authentic Mexicam souvenirs their living! Be sure to take lots of small bills ... that helps when you do bargain! Nothing like talking someone down from $20 to $10 and then only having a $20 to pay with. I'd take lots of $1,$5 and tens.

Also, be sure to check that items are made in Mexico. Some of the items at the flea market are imported from China! Crazy, I know. If you want authentic, be sure to ask and check labels. My son got a gorgeous sombrero for $20. The leather interior is stamped, "Hecho en Mexico." I also checked for stamps on any bracelets. Others are cheaper but poorly made or not from Mexico. Also, look for hand stitching verses machine stitching on dresses.

Also, the vanilla is great and very reasonable at Los Cinco Soles (which is right off the ship). Also, it is coumarin free which is something you want to look for.

Happy Shopping!

Archived