Summit 3-1 Review with Photos & HAL Comparison

purplenorway

Thank you, purplenorway (that name has to have some significance), for your informative review. We have cruised on only one HAL ship, a TA on the Westerdam, but have been on several M class Celebrity cruises. We are currently booked on a Celebrity TA in September, and another in November. We will keep only one. There is however a HAL TA in October on the Nordam, I believe. This is also a possibility.

Our cabin on the Westerdam was a deluxe suite. ( I think it was that name. It was the smaller of the two suites which are in large numbers.) The suite was extremely nice. The bathroom was outstanding, with a whirlpool tub and two sinks. We particularity enjoyed the two desks, where my wife could use one, and I the other. The couch and chairs were a bit awkward because the upholstery was very slippery Naugahyde. But overall, we would choose the HAL suite over a Royal Caribbean Superior Suite.

There were negatives on HAL. One was that the auditorium had many columns of about three feet in diameter. These impeded stage views of perhaps 10% of the audience. If one got there early, there was no problem, but arriving only a few minutes before the show was a problem. Could you please tell me if that remains the same?

I also had problems with the front desk people. The laundry lost one item, which was even confirmed be their count. It took several trips to the front desk before that was finally admitted. We were charged for multiple items from the mini bar on two days. One day was even charged for more items than were ever stocked in the mini bar. We never used anything from the mini bar. They finally agreed to credit our account, but on the last morning I found that only half had been credited. This was corrected on that last morning, but this type issue is not a pleasant one. A final note. The method of tipping is not good. I don't mind the automatic tip so much, but one has to fill out a questionnaire to change it. When I was told that 40% of the tip went to "other service personnel" including the front desk people, I wanted to decrease the automatic tip. I had to, and did, state my reasons for doing so. I did, however, tip our waiter and assistant, who were excellent, extra in cash.

We like the ship plan on Celebrity much better that HAL or Royal Caribbean. The lounge just outside the dining room is very nicely located, and the Cova Café is great for classical string quartets.

I think the food was about the same on both lines.

The entertainment on Celebrity seemed to us better. However, the Westerdam had an outstanding pianist band leader who helped me find my best key for "Ol Man River" in the talent show.

Thank you once more for your thoughtful review.

Bob :cool:

Bob, I'll agree that having two sinks in HAL's deluxe verandah suites and superior verandah suites is wonderful! We can get ready much more quickly that way. The columns are still on Westerdam, but I think we got a good seat no matter what time we showed up. I can't remember if the columns are in the same locations on Noordam. We've had some mini bar trouble as well, but it was corrected. Oh, and purple is my favorite color and Norway is one of my favorite places. :D

We've had some mini bar trouble as well, but it was corrected. Oh, and purple is my favorite color and Norway is one of my favorite places. :D

Norway is at the top of my list for future travel. I was in Oslo about 25 years ago, took the train to Bergen and back but did not get off. I just can't find the perfect itinerary but am considering Hurtigruten. I can live without the room service but not sure about the set dinner with no options. Most Mass Market lines only make a few stops and not as far North as I'd like to go - so I am still looking.

I too have been on more HAL cruises than Celebrity but I really enjoyed our Hawaii cruise on Infinity (I like the M Class) and so we booked another cruise on Constellation coming up in November.

We had CC Aft to Hawaii and will again in November, just can't beat those verandahs for long warm weather cruises.

We love HAL but we also love Celebrity's M Class ships (albeit the pod issues).

What stuck out the most to us was our fellow cruiser's ages, we find HALs cruisers to be much older (we're in our mid 50's) and found that even on 14 night cruises with Celebrity, our fellow cruisers were more in our age bracket instead of much older 70's and older.

Archived