Noordam - Aft Cabins - Which Level?

Nikkibird

My husband and I are booking the March 4, 2009 Caribbean cruise and want to try an aft cabin. We cannot decide which level and we have been told that the cabins and balconies are different sizes from floor to floor. We were considering VA6162. Anyone had this cabin or know the difference between floors? Can the people above see onto the balconies below?

I was booked on an aft VA (Though we have since upgraded) and I know from my research that anyone on a deck above you can see onto your balcony. There was a picture recently posted (sorry, can't remember which thread, I tried to look for it but no luck...) from a vantage point on an upper deck showing the view onto other's balconies below. That being said, I'd choose one on the upper most deck. However, I would guess (and only guess) that the lower decks have larger balconies, but I would let someone else confirm that.

I just had an aft cabin on deck 5 on the Noordam. Yes, I could see the people on the deck below if I went over to the railing to look out at the ocean. At sailaway, everone on all the decks was at the railings, but it never bothered me. But, part of the veranda is covered and unable to be seen. I loved the aft cabin.

That's my photo and I was just told a few hours ago that the newer ships have more coverage than the Oosterdam photo above.:)
Right. The Noordam was the first ship to have the steeper aft profile, then the Westerdam got an "aft-lift" last year to match it. The Zuiderdam gets the change next month, and the Oosterdam in '09.

However, on the Westerdam, (and soon the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam) the deck 4 aft verandahs remain as originally built, so if you want a lot of sun exposure choose deck 4.

We were just on the Noordam in SB7145. After the sailaway, the balcony area was quiet and felt private. Once or twice I looked up and saw someone on the lido deck looking down but we could go under the overhang if we wanted total privacy. In addition, our balcony had sun 89% of the time. I do not think it matters which deck you are on. The amount of sun depends more on which direction the ship is facing and where the sun is. Caviargal was a big help in our choosing this cabin. She has some great pictures posted if you look at her past threads. Beware.....this cabin and balcony can be habit forming:rolleyes:

We were in SB7142 and it really was great. Close enough to Lido without being right under it; yet private enough to enjoy.

The only time you realized there were cabins above/below is if you stand right at the aft rail and look up or down.

But the view of the wake is just WONDERFUL!!

I know that the balcony is now smaller in SB 8140 after the renovations but is the cabin bigger or smaller?

We had this cabin on Noordam, ZUI and Oosterdam. It was larger inside on Noordam and a bit smaller balcony but still fabulous.

Thanks. We also had this cabin on the Zuiderdam and it seemed to be smaller than the SA. We are thinking about the Noordam and trying to decide whether to book this SB or go for the SA.

It is smaller than the SA for sure inside but we moved from an SA back to "our" aft corner because we love the location (quiet, only double occupancy back there), the balcony which is superb, and the inside is plenty large for the two of us. On the Noordam, it was lighter and brighter than on ZUI and OOS and felt more spacious.

We just came back from Noordam had cabin SC6166. The balcony was great. The cabin is smaller than other suites-About the size of an ss cabin. The walk to the Neptune was long but it felt good to stretch your legs. Privacy wasn't an issue. If you want complete privacy, sit on the fully covered side. Also you are protected from most of the wind.

Hi Knitlady:

That would be wonderful if you have the pictures thank you. This will be our first time in an aft cabin - we normally book an SA but we are looking foward to the large deck as we love the sun and outdoors - still wondering if we should upgrade to SA.

Did you find you made better use of the balcony? Is it private? Were others constantly peeking down at you? I have read in some posts that things fall from the lido or other decks- is that true? Mind you if a pina colada falls from above I would hope it was full rather than empty :D -

Regarding the cabin - is the bed kingsize - and does the cabin have same amenities as other suites? Is the bathroom smaller> Still 2 showers? Dressing area (vanity)? Thank you so much for your kind reply.

Kim

I loved the balcony. I really didn't notice anyone looking down. Then again, I didn't look up either. Sun was too strong. The part outside the doors is covered, then rest uncovered. Side is totally covered, so when it rained in one port I was still able to sit outside and read. The cabin is smaller than the SA suites on the 7th deck. We met people staying in one. The walk to the Neptune is longer also. There is a dressing area and two showers. My Dh is a big man and found the stand up shower too small. There is no difference in amenities between sc and sa. Just different location. IMO i would not spend the extra money to be in an SA. One night we had an appetizer plate sent from the Neptune Lounge and had 8 people in the cabin with room to spare. Also the desk is a little smaller

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - just returned form the Noordam on Sat - we booked ourselves, so TA started with VD - ended up with VA 7122 --fabulous - a good size balcony with two cahirs - not plastic and a foot stool and round table -- I highly reccommend this cabin -

Archived